OS 10.4.6 Reset Admin Password without Mac OS X Install Disc

• Posted: 01 November 2008 06:45 PM

I got a used PowerPC G4 with OS 10.4.6 but I just have a regular user account in this. I need to know if any way to reset Admin Password without OS X Install Disc.

I have another version in original Disk of OS like 10.4.2 or even I have a Version 10.5.2 but I trying everything and I could not reset the Admin Password.

I even trying with Apple Button + S or Apple Button + C when this booting but nothing happening.

I am not too familiar with Apple computer and I need some help

I can even change hand to hand with somebody that has V10.4.6 and give V10.5.2

Thanks

• Posted: 10 November 2008 08:01 AM #1

Hello there,

As I recall, there is a way to set the root/admin password using the NetInfo Manager utility I believe. You will find it in your “Utilities” folder inside the “Applications” folder.

However, being as I haven’t had a need to do this in a number of years myself, I don’t remember the precise procedure. I may have a tutorial laying around here that I wrote a few years back. Also, to even change the root/admin password, you may possibly need to know the current admin password, which would obviously be a problem for you.

That aside, two questions come to mind:

1. Why don’t you contact the person who sold you the used computer? If they are the original owner, they should obviously know the admin password.

2. If the first option is not possible, why don’t you just do a clean install with the install disk that you do have? That way, you can be set up as the admin of the machine, and then you can even upgrade the machine to the last version of Tiger, 10.4.11, for free, by using Software Update under the Apple menu.

Of course, if you have purchased Leopard, and if the machine is new enough and fast enough, you can install that instead of Tiger, set yourself up as the admin of the machine, and follow the same software update process.

In case you didn’t know it, whenever you install a new Mac OS on an OSX machine, or do a clean install, you are automatically made the admin of that machine.

Oh, and by the way, if you do choose to do a clean install, make sure that you first BACK UP any programs, files and personal settings files that you don’t want to lose. A clean install will erase everything.

Signature

Jeff Snyder SysOp/Armageddon BBS endtimeprophecy.org:23 Macintosh BBS Center!

BBS Web Interface: http://www.endtimeprophecy.org/ArmageddonBBS/