Firewalls

• Posted: 26 October 2001 04:12 AM

Who is running a firewall on X? If you are running one which one are you running? Let’s get an informal poll going here

• Posted: 08 August 2001 11:20 AM #1

I’m running the built-in free firewall.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 08 August 2001 12:22 PM #2

This thread is, sort of, already going here:

http://www.macobserver.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=722&forum=3&6

However, for the sake of playing nice, I am actually using Norton Personal Firewall.  I had the version for OS 9, and the X update was free.  I find it mindlessly simple to configure and it works.  Gotta love that.

Before using Norton I used BrickHouse to configure the built-in OS X firewall, and found that to be a bit more complicated but very secure and usable.

Signature

You better eat him Mitch…before I do.

• Posted: 08 August 2001 12:23 PM #3

This isn’t Mac OS X-specific, but I personally use the built-in firewall on my Linksys router to protect my entire home network.  I know it’s not the same as firewall software in that it does not actively look for and report break-in attempts.  It works nonetheless since no specific computer is exposed to the Internet.

Getting more on-topic, however, how can one configure Mac OS X’s built-in firewall without using one of the shareware programs that does it for you?  I assume it could be done through the terminal but I don’t know how to do it.

Also, I don’t really understand why Apple didn’t include software to configure the firewall, becuase it would probably be easy to add and an easy built-in firewall would be another selling point for the OS.
    Sorry if I took this a bit off-topic so early in the thread.  Forgive me.

• Posted: 08 August 2001 02:48 PM #4

You can use the terminal to setup the internal OS X firewall, don’t ask me how to do it tho . It’s a thing for the Unix ppl here. Another link to a good site I’d like to put in tho is the following:   . It’s a site with user added things on how to do things in OS X, including installing Apache, PHP, Perl, etc. For the novice Unix user a great site to look and learn about the terminal and what you can do with it.

proud Mac owner since 1993
    now running:
    Dual G4 500 256/100 GB
    B&W G3 350 DVD 448/6 GB
    PowerBook G3 400 FireWire 192/6 GB
    both on OS 9.1 and OS X 10.0.4

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoytt on 2001-08-08 17:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoytt on 2001-08-08 17:53 ]</font>

Signature

Tjeerd van Hoytema

—-
    Join us at irc.macobserver.com #macobserver

• Posted: 08 August 2001 06:32 PM #5

You beat me to the punch on that one Hoytt. All is forigven David, I actually use the firewall on my Linksys router on my home network till i get my 2nd ethernet card in my G4 then i will use the built-in firewall in X.

• Posted: 08 August 2001 07:20 PM #6

To add to the requested survey, I use Norton Personal Firewall for my software firewall.  I’ve fiddled with Firewalk and BrickHouse, but like the balance of features, user interface and reporting abilities of NPF.

As for my total protection solution, I also use an AirPort base as a router/firewall.  This offers two benefits. 

First is that by default, the AirPort base will not allow any unsolicited (and some solicited) requests through unless Port Mapping is enabled.  Second, by giving each machine “behind” the AirPort base a private IP address, nobody can (normally) access them directly, since a private IP address is not routable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John F. Braun on 2001-08-08 22:21 ]</font>

Signature

John F. Braun
    Columnist & Podcaster

• Posted: 08 August 2001 11:02 PM #7

Hey David,

try this at your command line:

man ipfw

that should give you the manual for the personal firewall command line tool in OS X. Now, man files are sometimes a little long on details and short on examples, so if you want a nifty little tutorial on the ipfw try here . Complete with sample scripts!

Hope this helps.

• Posted: 16 October 2001 11:21 PM #8

Huge BrickHouse fan here!

Signature

-Trekkie
    To point, click and boldly go…

• Posted: 22 October 2001 09:34 AM #9

configuring the ipfw is unfortunately one of the things that Apple didn’t fix yet.
    Currently you can only do it throught the UNIX text files and command line.
    Search in the freebasd sites. There you will find several directions and examples.
    If you are plannnig to setup your own firewall you should also look at cert where the have some high level documents about firewalls.

I think for people who haven’t been working with UNIX before is a nightmare.
    We bought last week the X server and we were amazed by its lack of features.
    Nothing is ready. They shouldn’t be seling the server.
    there is no way to configure the firewall, no way to configure the DNS, no way to have your email server with a web interface, no way to configure you server as primary domain controller for windows and many many more.
    You basically get nothing!

• Posted: 26 October 2001 04:12 AM #10

I use a Linksys Cable Modem Router and Cisco Aironet 340 wireless Access Point.  Works great!

Signature

Mac OS X: because making Unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows.
    My website