Would A Return To Boston Be Good For MACWORLD?

Posted: 26 September 2002 01:52 PM

The Boston Herald is reporting that IDG and Boston officials are near to finalizing a deal to bring the show back to Boston.  (See TMO’S reference article for more information and background on the situation).

What do you think?  Will this be good for the show?  It seems that there are many New Yorkers who are able to casually attend the show, but perhaps Boston’s lower cost of living and fancy-schmancy new US$800 million convention center will make up for that.  What do you think?

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 26 September 2002 04:33 PM #1

In the end, I think it’s a wash for Expo.  As far as I know, the NY ones have had continually increasing attendance.  Certainly there is more population in easy non-driving travel distance in NY than in Boston.  Both are tech areas, Boston maybe moreso on its own vs NY with its sheer size.  Cost of living may be a bit lower in Boston area, but the cost of traveling and staying there is going to be pretty similar.  The winner is actually whichever city ends up hosting the Expo.  It’s the biggest show of its kind (technology-related expo), and it’s held at what at least for NY is a slow spot in the year.  NY wants to keep it.  Boston wants to get it back.  That’s why this is happening at all.  The big issue with Boston is that it has fewer hotel rooms really close to their new convention center, so people would have to be spread over a wider area.  Each has a few advantages over the other.  Personally, I’d rather travel to Boston, not that I’ve ever gone to one though. grin

Posted: 26 September 2002 06:35 PM #2

I love going to NY.  I love going to Boston.  I’ll go to whichever town is fortunate to host MW.  However, for sheer attendance, probably NY is better than Boston just because there are more people who live there.

Signature

Great wits are sure to madness near allied.—John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

• Posted: 27 September 2002 12:37 AM #3

Until and unless Boston:

a) completes “The Big Dig”

b) has a SINGLE location big enough to hold the expo

c) improves their summer weather

I won’t be going to Boston

Anyone who’s been to Boston in the past few years will know what a mess the big dig is making of the whole city. It’s a nightmare getting anywhere around downtown. And only Midas could love what the roads do to car’s shocks. The Big Dig’s not scheduled for completion until 2004.

Last time I went to MacWorld in Boston the expo was split across two locations with a shuttle bus running between them (think back to your old school-bus days - minus the padded seats and you’ll know what joy this is)

Finally, the weather in Boston in the summer is just urgh! I was in Boston in June and it was worse than the Louisiana swamps. Mind you, New York can be pretty brutal, too.

I think I’ll stick with SF.

Signature

Gods don’t kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Posted: 27 September 2002 02:19 AM #4

The move back to Boston wouldn’t be until July of 2004, and it would be in the new US$800 million convention center being built in Boston.  That would mean the event would be held under one roof.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 27 September 2002 05:45 AM #5

NY and Boston weather is not appreciably different.  If anything, in July when Macworld is held, NY is probably a bit hotter.  And as Bryan said, the move would be to the brand new convention center, which would be big enough.  But the concerns about the Big Dig are out there (Boston is trying to allay this concern somehow, though supposedly it’s closer to the end now than the beginning) and the other concern is lack of really large hotels near convention center.  IDG likes to be able to get people into a smaller number of hotels for convenience, and that can’t happen in Boston, at least not yet.  One of the remaining concerns was that while a new convention center hotel was being built, the hotel won’t be ready in time for 2004 expo.  Still, there must be something drawing them back to Boston, quite possibly cheaper rent on the new center (vs NY).

• Posted: 27 September 2002 06:09 AM #6

I would probably prefer Boston over New York, but only if it would be cheaper for the visitors. I don’t like paying $150 a night to sleep somewhere. If Boston is cheaper for the consumer than I surely hope they move, otherwise I don’t mind. And Boston is right next to MIT and Harvard, so perhaps those Unis might have in interest. If they would hold MW in a teeny tiny town along the Eatern Seaboard, I still wouldn’t mind. My main interest is money, the money I need to spend to be exact.

Signature

Tjeerd van Hoytema

—-
    Join us at irc.macobserver.com #macobserver

• Posted: 27 September 2002 07:42 AM #7

I don’t have a horse in this race, as I’m unlikely to attend any Macworld, but I hate Boston.

• Posted: 27 September 2002 07:48 AM #8

Hell, Yes!

I used to go every year when it was in Boston. A much more approachable city, in my opinion. Gina, what’s your problem, girl?

• Posted: 27 September 2002 08:30 AM #9

I live in Boston.  I like it, but for sentimental reasons.  Boston is the least functional city on God’s green earth.

There are no decent

1) parking lots
    2) roads
    3) drivers
    4) street names which might actually help you get somewhere
    5) venues for anything

I understand 5 will be fixed.  When the Big Dig gets done, it’s my understanding that we’ll go from having something lik 5% of the roads needed to keep one from going insane to something like 70%.  In other words, it would have fixed the problem if it’d been completed three years ago, but the problem’s worse since then.  And that’s not counting the kind of traffic that a convention would draw.  PLUS, our public transportation to anywhere except downtown is really bad.

Add to that the fact that Apple is currently trying to promote a cosmopolitan, modern image.  New York is much more in keeping with this kind of atmosphere.  Boston is…well…shall we say “Puritan” in ambience?

Even though I would be more likely to go if it were in my city, I would be happier if it were in NYC.

Signature

—adam b.

• Posted: 27 September 2002 09:33 AM #10

Boston isn’t puritanical, if anything it has more tech stuff then NY. And the drivers aren’t bad, its just the fact that they’re so good, they make other people look like bad drivers. Just drive like you’re the only person who matters on the road and you’ll do fine. I admit the roads themselves suck, but there’s no need to take them just use the T. But why make fun of the street names, if you have a MAP, they’re just as useful as any other street name. I love going down to NY, but it costs too damn much, and at least in Boston the hotel room wouldn’t have a blood splatter on the wall like mine did in NY. I shouldn’t have to pay over $150 for a room where someone’s been killed, and they didn’t bother to clean it up. Boston all the way.

• Posted: 27 September 2002 09:47 AM #11

MacWorld is Dying

I love MacWorld. Each year in either Boston, New York or San Francisco the show is getting smaller and smaller as far as exhibitors go. It seems to get less and less worthwhile attending. 

That depresses me. If you can’t get Adobe or Real or Quark to show up in New York (a large advertising and graphics market) what are the chances they will attend when the show moves back to Boston?

It seems that many of the major vendors are skipping Expos like Mac and PC ones to save money.

I wish it could be like the old days when you would struggle to see everything in 2.5 days. Now a casual day at MWNY is about all I need to see my vendors. I have attended every East Coast MacWorld since 1990, and quite a few MWSFs as well. 

Next year I am deciding if I will attend at all, (I’m based in NYC) even if it is in New York. It’s great to be the first to see and touch new Apple product introductions but MacWorld for me is about seeing and finding solutions for the entire realm of the mac market. This is getting harder to do with less exhibitors.

• Posted: 27 September 2002 09:54 AM #12

NO

Asolutely not ....

What makes Boston a particularly Mac-friendly city?

Nothing.

Whereas New York is a center for Graphics design, movie production, advertising.

This is the stupidest thing…

• Posted: 27 September 2002 10:09 AM #13

Macworld Boston NEVER

If Macworld is moved to Boston again Macworld NY 2003 is tha last i will attend. I will not spend any funds to go Boston in the middle of July its bad enough here in NY in July I will not pay to sweat and travel then see a bad show too. For me end of discussion

• Posted: 27 September 2002 10:32 AM #14

NO MacWorld Expo for Boston!

nope :x

• Posted: 27 September 2002 10:37 AM #15

I Say Washington, DC

Yes, I live 20 miles from DC, so I would love it personally, but I always thought DC was a good choice for several reasons. For one, I believe it’s the most wired city in the world. The Net is still huge even without the dot-bombs around. This area is also the center for not only many international corporations, but many of the leading hi-tech companies as well. AOL, VeriSign, the U.S. government (didn’t the US Army switch to Macs for security reasons?), every association imaginable, just to name a couple off the top of my head.

There’s actually a large Mac base in this town, not mention TWO Apple stores. Just about all the country’s most presitious ad agencies live here or at least have a large office in or around the city. Fairfax and Montgomery counties are in the top five most affluent counties in the country.

DC can obviously handle large-scale events, a new convention center is almost complete, and centrally located on the East coast. The subway system is second to none and reaches well into the suburbs which allows easy access to a ton of affordable hotels. There are two large tech-corridors. Both have an overload of cheap ($50 - $75) hotel/motel rooms. We also have three large airports and several major cross-country intersates converge here.

I think only New York can exceed DC as far as an amazing selection of restaurants and things to see and do after the show.

I could go on, but I think I’ve made my point.

Alex :D