Administrative rights

• Posted: 05 December 2008 03:03 AM

I have set up three accounts on my Mac Pro: one for me, one for my partner and a spare.

However there are a number of hiccups.

1. My partner cannot access our photos. The photo library is kept on a separate disc (I pressed ‘option’ and created a new library). If she opens iphoto there are no photos in it. If she presses ‘option’ when she opens iphoto, then chooses either ‘create library’ or ‘choose library,’ the message says that the disc is ‘locked’ and cannot be modified.

2.My partner cannot send mail from her account, only receive it.

3. In my own account I also tried to create a library on a separate disc for the movies in imovie on my account when I open it by pressing ‘option’, but it does not work. The aim was to have my partner have access to them even when she is in her own account.

Can any holy administrator out there join our ilives together and deepen our union?

• Posted: 06 December 2008 04:45 PM #1

Don’t tell me have stumped everybody with this query?

Posted: 06 December 2008 06:03 PM #2

martinp - 05 December 2008 07:03 AM

I have set up three accounts on my Mac Pro: one for me, one for my partner and a spare.

However there are a number of hiccups.

1. My partner cannot access our photos. The photo library is kept on a separate disc (I pressed ‘option’ and created a new library). If she opens iphoto there are no photos in it. If she presses ‘option’ when she opens iphoto, then chooses either ‘create library’ or ‘choose library,’ the message says that the disc is ‘locked’ and cannot be modified.

You need to change the permissions on the library. Give her read/write access.

2.My partner cannot send mail from her account, only receive it.

This is a mail server configuration issue. If she does not use the same ISP as you, that could be the problem. Set her outgoing mail server to be the same as yours.

3. In my own account I also tried to create a library on a separate disc for the movies in imovie on my account when I open it by pressing ‘option’, but it does not work. The aim was to have my partner have access to them even when she is in her own account.

Again, probably a permissions issue.

Can any holy administrator out there join our ilives together and deepen our union?

Not sure about holy, but hopefully your union will now be as deep as the Marianas Trench.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 07 December 2008 07:44 AM #3

Thanks Intruder

For Christmas I have bought her a waterproof tent for us and the Macpro so as we can spend a few weeks in that deepest part of love’s ocean.

But just so as I can guarantee all will go swimmingly can I ask a couple of follow ups?

How does one change permissions on the library (be it iphoto or imovie)?

She ash the same IPS as me. I type in the same details but it will not allow her to receive emails.

How can I change the administrator set up? (it now turns out that every time the machine boots up it automatically opens her account - yet it is me who uses the machine most frequently)

Posted: 07 December 2008 01:20 PM #4

martinp - 07 December 2008 11:44 AM

She ash the same IPS as me. I type in the same details but it will not allow her to receive emails.

What is the error message?

martinp - 07 December 2008 11:44 AM

How can I change the administrator set up? (it now turns out that every time the machine boots up it automatically opens her account - yet it is me who uses the machine most frequently)

Go to System Preferences > Users.  Select her account. Click Log In options at the bottom.  Click to Lock to unlock, Disable Automatic Log In.  (requires password entry at a couple of points).

You can either turn on Automatic Log In for your account, or if none is automatically logged in you will get a log in screen at startup which then requires you to pick which account you want to log in to.

• Posted: 08 December 2008 02:51 PM #5

Thanks re the log in. I think that is sorted.

Still not sure how to alter permissions on libraries;

Will get back to you on the error message re the mail

• Posted: 09 December 2008 02:37 PM #6

martinp - 08 December 2008 06:51 PM

Still not sure how to alter permissions on libraries

You want to find the Library file (or folder), right click it and choose Get Info. At the bottom of the resulting window you can authenticate using the little lock and add her username to the list of permissions you see. Make sure she has read and write permissions and close the window. Done. (If however the library was a folder you will want to click the little cog and choose to Apply to enclosed items before closing the window.)

Signature

-Matt Cox / Mac Technician / Matt on Twitter

• Posted: 11 December 2008 09:25 AM #7

Thanks very much Houltmac.

I think that little problem should be sorted now. Will know more once she gets back tonight. Your invitation to the wedding guaranteed should we make it through this present it storm.

Now I need to know how I can get iMovie to create a library on a separate drive. WHen I press option and the open imovie it just seems to ignore me!