Kindle Is Sold Out

• Posted: 08 December 2008 01:04 PM

The Kindle has disappeared from shelves and new stock isn’t expected until at least February. Amazon.com cites an 11 to 13 week ship time.

Good news for iPod touch sales moving into the final 17 days until Christmas.

Posted: 08 December 2008 01:17 PM #1

DawnTreader - 08 December 2008 05:04 PM

The Kindle has disappeared from shelves and new stock isn’t expected until at least February. Amazon.com cites an 11 to 13 week ship time.

Who buys these things?

<pre>

At any-rate since the Kindle has outsold the Zune, I suppose we should brace ourselves for the Kindle version 2, the Son of Kindle: Kindling.

[ Edited: 08 December 2008 01:49 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 08 December 2008 03:13 PM #2

Eric Landstrom - 08 December 2008 05:17 PM
    DawnTreader - 08 December 2008 05:04 PM

Who buys these things?

<pre>

At any-rate since the Kindle has outsold the Zune, I suppose we should brace ourselves for the Kindle version 2, the Son of Kindle: Kindling.

Kindling. Setting the e-book world on fire one user at a time.  :wink:

Who buys them? I suppose people who have yet to buy an iPhone or iPod touch.

• Posted: 08 December 2008 04:31 PM #3

I don’t own a Kindle.  But those I know who do, sing their praises.  And reviews have been generally favorable.  They have a limited and specific purpose:  Procuring, storing, and displaying books.  The market is much narrower, and the product does less than an iPod Touch, but if all you want to do is read books, it might be the best choice.

• Posted: 08 December 2008 04:49 PM #4

capablanca - 08 December 2008 08:31 PM

I don’t own a Kindle.  But those I know who do, sing their praises.  And reviews have been generally favorable.  They have a limited and specific purpose:  Procuring, storing, and displaying books.  The market is much narrower, and the product does less than an iPod Touch, but if all you want to do is read books, it might be the best choice.

Understood. Provided someone can buy one. Isn’t it a bit odd supply would run out more than two weeks before Christmas?

• Posted: 09 December 2008 12:48 AM #5

capablanca - 08 December 2008 08:31 PM

Zune owners sing praises of Kindle.  So what.  I’ve seen that POS, and it’s laughably lousy.  And that’s being diplomatic.

• Posted: 09 December 2008 09:57 AM #6

Oprah had a show on the devie, with Amazon’s CEo. She gave one to everyone in the audience, which must explain the shortage. Seriously, she raved about it, and I assume a lot of her millions of viewers consider it a good Christmas present. You still have to buy the books, of course. But I assume that it has access to public domain titles. Currently the free iPhone/Touch app, Stanza, has about 40,000 titles, with the recent addition of current titles you have to pay for. Reading on my Touch or iPhone is exactly like reading the New Yorker Magazine ? same column width and point size ? without the ads.

• Posted: 09 December 2008 02:13 PM #7

willrob - 09 December 2008 01:57 PM

Oprah had a show on the devie, with Amazon’s CEo. She gave one to everyone in the audience, which must explain the shortage. Seriously, she raved about it, and I assume a lot of her millions of viewers consider it a good Christmas present…..

I think this points not only to an understanding of the shortage, but also the explanation of how people can be happy with a Kindle.  There is an ocean of difference between the expectations of an Oprah viewer and an AFB member.  Yes, the iPod Touch is superior, and few here would love to find a Kindle under the tree.  But there is another world out there.

And now I wander off topic, but I find myself wishing the iPod Touch was named something else.  It is truly an amazing product.  And I believe it deserves its own identity.

• Posted: 09 December 2008 02:36 PM #8

One of the first people to have a Kindle was Andy Inatko from the Chicago Sun.  He seemed to love the thing but I haven’t heard him comment on it lately.  IIRC he was enamored of it’s uses in addition to being merely a reader.  He’s an iphone user so it’s not like he doesn’t have a comparative basis.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 27 December 2008 12:51 AM #9

Actually, I have a Kindle and a Touch. The Kindle is great for what it does. The screen on the Touch is too small for more than short, casual reading. As someone who travels a great deal, the Kindle is perfect for carrying a lot of reading material. There are over 200,000 books, magazines and blogs available for it, and you can also read the free mobi files that are available. BTW, I do not own a Zune and I don’t watch Oprah.

Mercel, I’m curious as to why you think it is “laughably lousy.” Does it not do exactly what it is designed to do?

[ Edited: 27 December 2008 12:57 AM by Intruder ]

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 27 December 2008 01:34 PM #10

Intruder - 27 December 2008 04:51 AM

Actually, I have a Kindle and a Touch. The Kindle is great for what it does. The screen on the Touch is too small for more than short, casual reading. As someone who travels a great deal, the Kindle is perfect for carrying a lot of reading material. There are over 200,000 books, magazines and blogs available for it, and you can also read the free mobi files that are available. BTW, I do not own a Zune and I don’t watch Oprah.

Mercel, I’m curious as to why you think it is “laughably lousy.” Does it not do exactly what it is designed to do?

I may have been too harsh, but the thing is fugly and cheap looking (personal opinion).  It does what it should, I suppose, but it could be so much more!  It’s a one-trick pony, and perhaps that’s its only requirement.  Apple could knock this device out of the park, adding functionality that OSX and the App store could bring.  Everyone here can imagine how BIG this could be for Apple, yet Amazon gets raves for what I see as a pedestrian effort. 

Sorry if I came on too strong, born of a frustrated Apple shareholder these days…

Posted: 27 December 2008 04:00 PM #11

I agree that it is not as stylish as the Sony reader, nor of just about anything that Apple could design to compete with it. However, it does have a far superior selection of material than the Sony reader and Apple has not decided to get into the business. I’d like to see a cooperative effort between Amazon and Apple and let Apple design Kindle 2.0.

What I like most about the Kindle is the fact that I can purchase books wirelessly from just about anywhere in the US (too bad it doesn’t work overseas wirelessly, though), and I don’t have to pay extra for that capability. It also has a web browser which can be used in a pinch.

What I dislike about the Kindle is the fact that it is a little too easy to hit the forward button(s) unintentionally. And the cover is a bit chintzy. Overall, though, it is pretty good for a v1.0 product. YMMV.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…