Apple Sells its iPhone for $660.00 with Gross Margins of over 50% - Do they Really Need a Netbook?

Posted: 09 December 2008 10:22 PM #16

I don’t think we should forget that Apple’s expanding market share means that the number of people interested in a new iBook will not be insignificant. The timing and economy could be just right. Something is going to fill the gaping big pricing whole they left when refreshing the MacBooks - it’s just a matter of what. Apple being Apple it’ll be slightly different to what we expect.

Signature

An AAPL a day keeps the doctor away

• Posted: 10 December 2008 02:04 AM #17

On the last call Steve mentioned that the iPhone in some ways plays in the netbook space and that it’s not in the apple dna to make a cheap piece of junk notebook computer. He also said they have some pretty interesting ideas up their sleeve. The answer to me is clear because it’s what my old eyes have been yearning for—a bigger iPhone that in some minds could be the iTablet. It would be incrementally up the price scale from the iPhone, but the increase in size will improve viewing of email, web pages, video etc. The extra space would afford a larger battery which could then trigger other interesting options as would room for more ports.

I really thought the way Steve deferred ideas on Apple TV as still being a hobby in 2009, but then teased that they have some interesting ideas here, makes me think we will seem something new in the ‘form factor’ department in 2009. I’m thinking a bigger touch device instead of a smaller laptop.

Posted: 10 December 2008 06:38 AM #18

cranium - 10 December 2008 06:04 AM

.... He also said they have some pretty interesting ideas up their sleeve. ...
    I really thought the way Steve deferred ideas on Apple TV as still being a hobby in 2009, but then teased that they have some interesting ideas here, makes me think we will seem something new in the ‘form factor’ department in 2009…

Rampant speculation: connect wirelessly the iPod Touch or iPhone to the Apple TV and use the enhanced resolution and really big screen for some cool stuff. Use the iPod/iPhone as the input device, but the aTV screen as the input device.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 10 December 2008 08:40 AM #19

Play Ultimate - 08 December 2008 10:10 PM

As for reading (eg Kindle), my wife has read novels on her Touch without problem.

I can build an entire house with a ball-peen hammer (iPhone), but it doesn’t mean I want to. I can also build a house with a sledge hammer (Macbook). Same argument.

I want a nice 24oz framing hammer (iTablet) to build my house. There are a lot more carpenters like me out there. Andy’s argument about Apple not NEEDING to make one may be valid, from Apple’s perspective, and we all know they are the only ones that matter in that regard - customers be trounced! I think getting some customers for the ball-peen, others for the sledge and even MORE for the framing hammer is in Apple’s best interest.

[ Edited: 10 December 2008 01:54 PM by rezonate ]

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 10 December 2008 08:43 AM #20

cranium - 10 December 2008 06:04 AM

—a bigger iPhone that in some minds could be the iTablet. It would be incrementally up the price scale from the iPhone, but the increase in size will improve viewing of email, web pages, video etc. The extra space would afford a larger battery which could then trigger other interesting options as would room for more ports.

Kinda like the iBook 12” vs 14”; everything nearly the same except pixel size.  My dad like it alot.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 10 December 2008 09:45 AM #21

One option I would appreciate would be a simple speaker phone function that would allow conversation while the device was on a desk or in your lap. Most speaker functions conserve power by limiting the volume output thereby limiting the utility.

“Damn it Scotty I need more power!”

Posted: 10 December 2008 09:56 AM #22

rezonate - 10 December 2008 12:40 PM

I want a nice one pound framing hammer

Most framing hammers are 21/24 oz.  A 16oz framing hammer is for wimps!  tongue laugh

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 10 December 2008 01:56 PM #23

incorrigible - 10 December 2008 01:56 PM
    rezonate - 10 December 2008 12:40 PM

I want a nice one pound framing hammer

Most framing hammers are 21/24 oz.  A 16oz framing hammer is for wimps!  tongue laugh

Thanks, fixed. Some of us aren’t wimps, we’re just small-boned. smile The perfect size to use a netbook instead of a Macbook.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 10 December 2008 02:10 PM #24

I believe the current definition of a Netbook is a screen size of about 8 inches or less.  I believe that is too small, may as well use an iPod Touch or iPhone.  However, I would like to have a notebook with a 10 - 11 inch display to supplement my full size MacBook and iMac.  For me a smaller laptop would not be an instead of, but an addition to.  The smaller laptop would be very welcome for travel (for me).

Should Apple make a cheap Netbook… I don’t think so, I don’t think they need to.  Why make (as Steve called it) a piece of junk.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy

Posted: 10 December 2008 02:40 PM #25

We can deduce that Apple has a working prototype that would not be priced lower than $500 since SJ said that he has some interesting idea and don’t know how to make a product lower than $500 that doesn’t look like a piece of junk.  Apple is monitoring the market.  What is Apple looking for?  Big enough market?  Pricing decision?  Timing (when to launch)?  Sustainable multi-year demand?

Who are potential customers?  Same as PC netbooks? Similar positioning as Mac mini?  Similar positioning as iPod touch?  For kids, teenagers, young adults or old men like Eric?  What are netbooks use for?

[ Edited: 10 December 2008 07:04 PM by Mace ]

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 10 December 2008 03:39 PM #26

In my book, what makes my Wind perfect is not the price (although, for a disposable/throw-away computer, what’s wrong with the cheap price?), but its size. Ever since I had to give up my Duos, I’ve not been happy with a portable computer, though I’ve used a PB1400 and Pismo. The MacBooks are also, IMO, bigger than I wanted, not to even mention the Pros. I’ve been using my Wind now since August, and the size is perfect. I love the screen size, keyboard size, and the smallness of the overall package. I can toss it in its sleeve, and run out of the house with it. Trust me, until you’ve really used something this size, you just can’t appreciate it. Sure huge screens are nice and all, but when portability is necessary while also having the full computer experience, you can’t touch the smaller size. Oh, and oddly enough, the Wind runs OSX just fantastic. Linux, too, which gets the bulk of my work time, but it’s nice to be able to run those apps I just can’t live without on OSX.

So, Apple has a choice. They can let MSI, Asus, Acer and Dell get the bulk of the hardware sale, or they can come out with a decent Netbook. Really, it’s their choice, they can let the other manufacturers get the hardware sales, and watch while people hack their system onto them (and not all of them will be honest and pay for Leopard), or they can decide to enter the market for themselves. Just don’t expect people like me to wait for them. I would gladly pay about $1000 for an Apple Netbook, for myself. I think that’s the price that Apple could get away with asking for their Netbook, especially as I think it would blow away the rest of the market quality and feature-wise.

Signature

-Jon

Posted: 10 December 2008 03:47 PM #27

JonGl,

I have the impression that netbooks are popular in Asian markets only.  Am I wrong?  Are you an Asian?  Netbooks would be too small for Americans and Europeans.

Signature

• Posted: 10 December 2008 03:52 PM #28

Mace - 10 December 2008 07:47 PM

JonGl,

I have the impression that netbooks are popular in Asian markets only.  Am I wrong?  Are you an Asian?  Netbooks would be too small for Americans and Europeans.

Wrong on both counts, IMO. I’m 100% American—6’2”, in fact. From all I’ve read, netbooks are quite popular in both the US and Europe. As an American living in Europe, I can say that they are quite popular here. grin

My wife has an eeePC 701, and I agree that that keyboard is a bit on the tiny side, but that only means that more practice is necessary. When my wife first got her eee, her “8 Letters in Search of a Word” scores plummeted, but she quickly returned to being one of the highest-scoring people again. Her fingers are quite average.

But the Wind has a nearly full-sized keyboard, and I have had no problems adapting to everything but the comma and period keys, which are reduced in size. It’s a beautiful keyboard.

-Jon

Signature

-Jon

Posted: 10 December 2008 04:05 PM #29

JonGL,

Thank for the info.  Please point me to some charts showing geographical sales.

Any explanation as to why this market is noticed by three Taiwanese companies of which two (MSI and ASUS) of them are Motherboard makers?

Noted the diagonal of the keyboard of my 17” G4 PowerBook is about 11 inches long.  8” could accommodate all 27 alphabets.

[ Edited: 10 December 2008 07:00 PM by Mace ]

Signature

• Posted: 10 December 2008 05:47 PM #30

Apple’s “NetBook”, I believe, is coming soon but will not be typical.

What I envision is an iPod Touch that’s:

1) Just as thin as the current model,
    2) Screen 2x the size of the Touch,
    3) Minimum 16GB Flash storage (upgradable to 64GB),
    4) WiFi & GPS,
    5) Haptic virtual keyboard,
    6) Built-in microphone, speaker, and 3MP camera (with video capability for iChat),
    7) Mini Display port (if it will fit),
    8) Bluetooth support for wireless keyboards and mice,
    9) “Mac” mode as well as “Touch” mode (i.e. it can switch between being a real Mac or have the iPhone/iTouch interface),
    10) Handwriting recognition with a “Virtual Pen” (position fingers as if holding a pen/pencil and write on screen).

Sell for $599 to $899

Any other thoughts on this list?

[ Edited: 10 December 2008 05:50 PM by Smurfman ]