External HD pblm

• Posted: 08 December 2008 10:45 PM

I have a Western Digital external HD. Today it lights up in the front circle, but it doesn’t appear on my desktop as usual. Have checked all the plugs—seem to be OK. I’m lost, don’t want to lose all the stuff I backed-up on there.

Posted: 08 December 2008 11:26 PM #1

Most likely a power supply problem. Had that happen with a LaCie drive recently.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 09 December 2008 11:05 AM #2

Thanks. I had checked all the plugs, connections this morning. Now, the external HD comes up on my desktop and everything is there on the drive. Whew! Is that what you mean by power supply—the connections?

Posted: 10 December 2008 10:30 PM #3

In my case, the brick died. Yours sounds like a bad connection.

Signature

• Posted: 11 December 2008 03:43 AM #4

In my experience I’d say around 80% of issues with external drives tend to be power related. Either bad connections or bad power bricks. It’s sad, but cheaper than data recovery.

Signature

-Matt Cox / Mac Technician / Matt on Twitter

Posted: 11 December 2008 06:51 AM #5

Yes. If it’s a FireWire drive, there’s also a pretty good chance that the FW cable died. I’ve had quite a few FireWire cables die on me over the years.

Posted: 11 December 2008 09:55 AM #6

You may also want to run Disk Utility on the disk, just in case.

Signature

Posted: 24 December 2008 11:58 AM #7

And back it up if you can.

Business associate/friend of mine had a 1TB WD MyBook. One day the fan died inside the case.

This being a raided external (2x500GB HDD) drive A swelled and died. Sent to DriveSavers and nothing was recoverable at all. I tried Data Rescue as well, nothing.

WD replace the drive (yay?) and his insurance company cut him a check for $25k for the lost production, but he still lost 6 months of video production.

Always have a backup of a backup.

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.