Upload connection problem

Posted: 23 December 2008 05:57 PM

I’m on Verizon DSL in south L.A. county, and for the past 8 or 9 days, I’ve been having some connection trouble.  Every few minutes while I’m surfing the Web, I can’t connect to anywhere for about 10-15 seconds - the browser thinks I’m not connected to the Internet.  When I try to upload a file, I can’t upload faster than 30 KB/s or so, and usually it’s closer to 5.

According to my router, I currently have an upstream connection speed of 832 kbps (it seems to fluctuate between 768 and 864).  However, when I go to speedtest.net, my results after three tests were 27, 198, and 38, nowhere near the 832 I’m supposed to have.  (I haven’t noticed any problems with downloading, and it tests out fine.)

I don’t see anyone else connected to my router, and my Mac is wired in, no AirPort or anything.  It might be a problem on Verizon’s end - I have a friend who lives about 2 miles away who seems to have it just as bad, if not worse - but I don’t know.  Verizon’s system status page doesn’t report any DSL problems.

Any ideas on other possible culprits and what I can do, aside from calling Verizon and being put on hold for 2 hours?

Posted: 24 December 2008 11:54 AM #1

Best thing to do is call Verizon and let them know of the issue. They might be having DNS issues or a node failure and are not aware of it as of yet.

You can do the usual; cycle your modem, cycle your router, restart your machine, etc.

If you want to get into it and have time one of the best troubleshooting techniques to see if it is your Mac or not is this:

1. Create a new user account.
    2. Log into that account. Try to get on the net and do as you usually do (uploads, etc)

If your speeds are back then there is something wrong on your user account. Run Disk First Aid, Diskwarrior (if you have a copy, which you should as it is wonderful), and see if that fixes the issue. If it does not then do an Archive and Install. This will keep all your files, account, applications, etc while putting a fresh system in place including preference files.

If it still happens after all of that, then there is something wrong somewhere else.

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.