Is WalMart Key To iPhone Domination?

• Posted: 30 December 2008 01:27 PM #16

artman1033 - 30 December 2008 04:34 PM

IIMHO: BBY has the advantage over WMT. They are the only one who sells insurance on the iphone. It is called “THE GEEK SQUAD BLACK TIE PROTECTION”. It costs $14.99 per month.

That is $360 cost over the life of the iphone, which is presumably 2 years. If I were to own a $600 cellphone, i would get it.

BBY buys the insurance from AIG, so USA taxpayers (owning 78% of AIG) are providing it.

Imagine a homeowner’s policy that cost more than 50% of the replacement value of the home structure over the presumed useful life of the dwelling. That’s a high-profit item for BBY. What’s wrong with purchasing AppleCare at a fraction of that price and a quality iPhone case for $35?

But back to the point: These constituent and ancillary products and services provide an incentive for retailers to build the iPhone market. In other words, its the associated product sales that drive fat margins for retailers and product makers (and in this case service providers).

• Posted: 30 December 2008 03:05 PM #17

artman1033 - 30 December 2008 05:47 PM

Let me give you an example: My son Mike, (USMC retired…3 combat tours in iraq) received an ipod from his mother prior to one of his deployments. He kept it in his pocket under his body armor. It must have gotten wet from perspiration (not submersion). It stopped working. When he got back, we went to the Apple store to get it replaced. NO DICE. The little moisture strip had turned colors.

His mother had bought it at BBY with the insurance coverage. So we went to BBY. It was replaced without question.

Sheesh… Doesn’t a war hero deserve a brand new iPod on his return home? Perhaps one personally engraved with the date of his return to home and family. For the cost of the insurance during the many months of valiant service to his nation and in service to the world’s efforts to bring peace, the funds could have been used in part to present him with a new iPod commemorating his safe return home while keeping the old one as a reminder of his mother’s love while thousands of miles away bravely serving his nation and its pursuit of lasting peace.

Posted: 30 December 2008 08:34 PM #18

artman1033 - 30 December 2008 04:34 PM

FWIW: I like WMT, BBY and AAPL. I have been at one time a shareholder of all three.

IIMHO: BBY has the advantage over WMT. They are the only one who sells insurance on the iphone. It is called “THE GEEK SQUAD BLACK TIE PROTECTION”. It costs $14.99 per month.

That is $360 cost over the life of the iphone, which is presumably 2 years. If I were to own a $600 cellphone, i would get it.

BBY buys the insurance from AIG, so USA taxpayers (owning 78% of AIG) are providing it.

HERE is the geek squad page.

It does not cover fire damage or if you decide to go swimming with your iphone.

It does not cover LOSING your iphone.

I never buy optional insurance.  Here is one of the Black Tie Protection exclusionary statements. Quite an amusing read.  And no, the iPod failing from your own sweat won’t be covered.

Exclusions to Coverage: This Plan does not cover:
    (i) damage to your product caused by accident
    (unless you have purchased the optional ADH
    Coverage), abuse, neglect, intentional physical
    damage, misuse (including faulty installation,
    repair, or maintenance by anyone other than
    an authorized service provider), unauthorized
    modification, viruses, extreme environment
    (including extreme temperature or humidity),
    external condensation, lightning, static
    electricity, fire, flood, insect infestation, rodents,
    war, terrorism, computer software related failures
    (unless you have the Vi-Spy Coverage) Acts of
    God or other external causes; (ii) products that
    have been lost or stolen. This Plan only covers
    products that are returned to us in their entirety;
    (iii) cosmetic damage to your product including
    but not limited to scratches, dents and broken
    plastic on parts, that does not otherwise affect
    its functionality or materially impair your use;
    (iv) products with a serial number that has been
    altered, defaced or removed; (v) problems caused
    by a device that is not your product, including
    equipment purchased at the same time as your
    product; (vi) consumable parts, such as batteries,
    unless expressly provided for herein; (vii) damage
    to, or loss of any software or data residing or
    recorded in your product. When providing repair
    or replacement service, we will use reasonable
    efforts to reinstall your product?s original software
    configuration and subsequent update releases,
    but will not provide any recovery or transfer of
    software or data contained on the serviced unit
    not originally included in your product; (viii)
    failures or parts and/or labor costs incurred as a
    result of a manufacturer?s recall; (iv) fees or costs
    related to third-party contracts, consequential or
    incidental damages, including but not limited to
    loss of use, loss of business, loss of profits, loss
    of data, downtime, charges for time and effort,
    ?no problem found? diagnoses, or failures that
    occurred prior to the purchase of this Plan; (x)
    products used for commercial purposes unless
    expressly stated on your purchase receipt that
    this is a Commercial Plan; (xi) damage to your
    xBox 360 due to Microsoft?s ?Red Ring of Death?;
    (xiii) personal items left in the product. You are
    responsible for removing all personal items from
    the product before service is performed; (xiv)
    parts and services covered under your product?s
    manufacturer?s warranty; (xv) remote control
    reprogramming; (xvi) damage due to contact
    with any human or animal bodily fluids

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 30 December 2008 08:59 PM #19

Wow!

Did you notice above? Microsoft’s Red Ring of Death in the same series of exclusion clauses as animal fluids. Some how I guess it’s a bit fitting but still, remind me not to shop at BBY. Their insurance exclusion clauses are a bit gross. I wonder who thinks this stuff up?

• Posted: 08 April 2009 05:18 PM #20

FWIW a Samsung flip phone from work survived a full wash machine cycle at my house. I thought it was toast but we took it apart as far as we dared and dried it out with a bathroom heater. It powered up and worked. It did take a week for the condensation to get out of the outside clock/alert screen.

• Posted: 08 April 2009 09:40 PM #21

Whaddya think he meant by “next time”?