MacWorld Rumors

• Posted: 30 December 2008 01:17 AM

Other than new iMacs and a preview of Leopard, the only semi plausible product announcements I’ve seen are:

1. the iPhone Nano. A second case manufacturer has announced a product.

Second case maker points to ‘iPhone nano’

By AppleInsider Staff

With just days to go before the annual Macworld trade show, a second case maker has added references to an iPhone nano to its website.

Well-known case designer Vaja has joined XSKN with an update to its web catalog implying that it plans to deliver protective garments for an Apple-developed iPhone nano in the near future.

The single reference to the product links customers to a web form where they can “sign up for the upcoming release” of its “iPhone nano cases.”

As MacRumors points out, it’s unlikely that case makers are privy to advanced information on future Apple products, and hence Vaja may simply be attempting to jump in on the recent hype surrounding the matter.

That said, case makers with contacts at Apple’s off-shore manufacturing facilities may be able to obtain specifications for the company’s future handheld products through unconventional means.

XSKN is one example of a case maker that was recognized earlier this year (1, 2) when it began selling protective holders for both the iPhone 3G and fourth-generation iPod nano before the specifications for those products were made public by Apple.

2. A Time Capsule/Home Media server, as discussed here.

[ Edited: 10 January 2009 11:58 PM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 30 December 2008 01:30 AM #1

I’m almost hoping that there _isn’t_ an iPhone nano in the works for MWSF.  Then the chorus of “such a hugely important product not being keynoted by SJ, he must be sick” begins anew.  *sigh*

OTOH, nothing prevents SJ from taking the stage for this particular announcement.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 30 December 2008 07:01 AM #2

What I would like to see is a foldable display for the iphone. Think about it. A display that is about 10”-12” wide that will fold up and fit in a coat pocket. The technology is here. Remember the display that they rolled out at the opening ceremony during the summer olympics? 
    Also on the display would be a keyboard that appears and disappears when needed. I would think Apple would do something like that than bring out a netbook.

This is just my wildguess.

Posted: 30 December 2008 08:12 AM #3

Call me Mr. Cynic.

But what happened to RADICAL INNOVATION?

28 Billion sitting there, virtually doing nothing, and the hoped for BIGGIE NEWS? A phone in a slightly smaller format with fewer features.

Pardon me for not being wildly impressed.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 30 December 2008 09:23 AM #4

Tan…
    please bear in mind…you are not impressed by the rumors… uhmmm?!
    Let’s all wait till it’s announced.  Have a great celebration guys and dolls!

greetings from the Netherlands.

MacB

Posted: 30 December 2008 12:04 PM #5

Rumors? Okay. I can make some up and we can play bingo.

Mac Pros will get a refresh in January with the new i7 chips and incorporate the Display Port connector.
    A new 30” LED backlighted display will be announced.
    Snow Leopard 10.6 will be previewed along with the accompanying jabs at Windows 2009 or ott-10 or whatever MSFT calls their new OS.
    Then the rabbit.

The rabbit out of the hat this year will either be,

1) A new iPhone mini-Me or,
    2) if it is ready, the new Apple netbook.

Apple fanboys will wax on about it for months with dreamy eyes. Because the new netbook will run Apps from the Apps store and Apple will have a triple play of profits with the thing. First from the sale of the thing itself, and from the one less PC, err Windows XP aspect and then from the App Stores sales.

Boom!

Moreover the laptops will get a speed increase. Woot. Woot!

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 30 December 2008 12:04 PM #6

TanToday - 30 December 2008 12:12 PM

Call me Mr. Cynic.

But what happened to RADICAL INNOVATION?

28 Billion sitting there, virtually doing nothing, and the hoped for BIGGIE NEWS? A phone in a slightly smaller format with fewer features.

Pardon me for not being wildly impressed.

That’s the funny thing about Apple.  I can’t think of a single event (Mac and iPhone being exceptions) that wasn’t viewed as being somewhat disappointing.  The introduction of the iPod being the best example of this.  It sent many away scratching their head in disbelief as to why they had all been gathered for an MP3 player.  Sure…it was nice looking but far too expensive to gain traction in an already crowded space…or so they said.  Thing is, when you look back over what’s been accomplished at the end of a years time, it’s pretty impressive.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 31 December 2008 03:10 PM #7

The newest rumor is that the touch will get super-sized sometime this year.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 01 January 2009 01:30 PM #8

I would welcome new LED displays in more flavors…my 30” is starting to shoot craps.  Oh, wait, we’re playing Eric’s bingo here.

S for Snow Leopard

M for Mac Pro update, although this will hardly make the stock move an inch

N for iPod Nano.  This, I think, is more likely than a netbook, which I expect at WWDC. 

A for Apple TV update—I like it as it is, but I’d like to see more content than cowbell

A “one more thing” possibility/wish: SJ makes a remote from China announcing a deal there.

• Posted: 01 January 2009 01:52 PM #9

New Mac mini go for launch

by Steven Sande on Dec 31st 2008

When it comes to the Mac mini, there are people out there who know everything there is to know… and now, those savvy sources are telling TUAW that they are confident a new Mac mini is set to be announced at Macworld Expo 2009 next week. While many details are still vague—we still have no idea if the dimensions of the new mini are at all different from the existing model—some details are starting to emerge.

First, the internal optical drive is changing to a SATA optical drive that can be swapped out for a second SATA hard drive, probably as a build-to-order (BTO) option. For those using Mac minis as departmental / small business servers, having a second internal hard drive adds a great deal of utility to the mini in a server role; RAID 1 mirroring becomes simple. Companies like MacMiniColo.net that colocate thousands of Mac mini servers will save rack space as external drives will no longer be mandatory for backups.

The second detail is that the new Mac mini won’t be made of topped with white plastic like the current model seen above; instead, it will follow Apple’s new design meme by using black plastic and aluminum. No more smooth sides, either—the new mini has a “lip” similar to the Time Capsule. The optical disc slot is hidden under the lip so it won’t be obvious in case the owner chooses to have two hard drives instead of a hard and optical drive combo. The lip also provides cooling, so the vents on the back of the mini are no longer needed.

For those of you who have been hoping for a new mini, there are many signs that your dreams are about to come true.

• Posted: 01 January 2009 08:03 PM #10

The update to the MiniMac has to be added to any list of Macworld possibilities—though my excitement level is tepid.

One other update that’s likely is a bump to 32GB for the iPhone and 64GB for the Touch. 

Phil Schiller may need two bottles of water on stage with all the work we’ve given him here.

• Posted: 02 January 2009 12:37 AM #11

I figure they announce a new ‘morphable’ iPhone and iPod Touch that can make itself either bigger or smaller whenever the user desires.
    Smaller when carrying it around, but bigger when you are viewing it so you don’t even need to expand columns or graphics. It will come in the same box with a new Mini/Apple TV device that will download/store/stream shows to the iPhone and has full Tivo-style functions to remote live/DVR video watching via the handheld. The new flexi-keyboard allows full size typing but disappears into the unit when travelling very much like a deleted email disappears on the handheld interface. The camera will be much better and includes great video capability that can be edited in the cloud anywhere you’ve got wi-fi connectivity. Best of all, this combo device set will be available for only $99. Anything less, and I’ll be very disappointed.

[ Edited: 02 January 2009 12:51 AM by cranium ]      
  • Posted: 02 January 2009 02:25 PM #12

That’s the funny thing about Apple.  I can’t think of a single event (Mac and iPhone being exceptions) that wasn’t viewed as being somewhat disappointing…[/quote

You’re right.  But don’t overlook the introductions that were met with that lack of enthusiasm—and still haven’t warranted much buzz.  The AppleTV comes to mind immediately.  (I have two, and am glad i have them, but boy oh boy do they fall short of potential and short of other products now available from other companies).  I’m sure other readers will have other examples.

Posted: 02 January 2009 03:35 PM #13

From a previously reliable source, Apple would announce SJ would sit on Obama’s economic committee and would be stepping down as CEO to focus on saving America.  He would however remain as Chairman of the Board for the time being.  As his role would involve advising US govt on improving IT infrastructure of America especially education, it may conflicts with his role as Apple Chairman.  If that arises, he would relinquish his Chairmanship too.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 02 January 2009 05:22 PM #14

If you replace SJ with Eric Schmidt, it’s almost true.

• Posted: 02 January 2009 08:14 PM #15

Mav - 30 December 2008 05:30 AM

I’m almost hoping that there _isn’t_ an iPhone nano in the works for MWSF.  Then the chorus of “such a hugely important product not being keynoted by SJ, he must be sick” begins anew.  *sigh*

OTOH, nothing prevents SJ from taking the stage for this particular announcement.

Yeah, I suppose he could, but I wonder if at least in part SJ has moved away or is trying to move away from this role because it’s becoming a bit of a clich?. I’m not sure it’s all that dignified for a man of SJ’s standing to be promoting the latest Apple gadget. There’s a point, I think, where a man of apparently declining health and now in his senior(ish) years comes across a bit like a desperate used-car salesman with a set of shiny keys. I wonder if SJ has simply decided that he’s had enough of being the talking sandwich-board. His appearance at the earnings call was, to me, more the kind of distinguished, statesman-like role that a company CEO should have. There to answer the big questions. Let the hands-on guys do the spruiking.

Signature

Karate ni sente nashi