MacWorld Rumors

• Posted: 02 January 2009 08:56 PM #16

coaten - 03 January 2009 12:14 AM
    Mav - 30 December 2008 05:30 AM

I’m almost hoping that there _isn’t_ an iPhone nano in the works for MWSF.  Then the chorus of “such a hugely important product not being keynoted by SJ, he must be sick” begins anew.  *sigh*

OTOH, nothing prevents SJ from taking the stage for this particular announcement.

Yeah, I suppose he could, but I wonder if at least in part SJ has moved away or is trying to move away from this role because it’s becoming a bit of a clich?. I’m not sure it’s all that dignified for a man of SJ’s standing to be promoting the latest Apple gadget. There’s a point, I think, where a man of apparently declining health and now in his senior(ish) years comes across a bit like a desperate used-car salesman with a set of shiny keys. I wonder if SJ has simply decided that he’s had enough of being the talking sandwich-board. His appearance at the earnings call was, to me, more the kind of distinguished, statesman-like role that a company CEO should have. There to answer the big questions. Let the hands-on guys do the spruiking.

I’ll kindly disagree. My thoughts:

- I’ve never felt anything remotely close what you’re describing for Steve.

- A desperate used-car salesman is just that: “desperate”; because he’s trying to peddle a product, which is crap, which nobody would want to buy. But your description fits television commercials for other carriers’ low-tech phone offerings over the past half year very well…:-) The Verizon commercials? With the rotating, carnival-like quick-look at the flashy low-cost, or free, mobile phones? How about the iPhone-wannabe mobile phone TV commercials, where if you look, you always see “all screen images simulated” during the first few seconds? How about… Vista? And the Mojave-experiment commercials that are still floating around? How about the Bill and Jerry commercials. (And: where did the rest of -that- ad campaign go, with or without them?) How about the Zune? These are all desperate, used-car salesman ads. But Steve, at presentations? He’s in complete control, it’s at his pace, he gets the message across. There isn’t a hint of “desperate” in it.

- I don’t feel, having seen him do this for many years, that he’s gotten tired of it or thinks he’s turning into a talking sandwich-board…:-) These are his great moments in the public eye.

- The earnings call: it was voice only, not a physical appearance, and he felt just as strong in the points he made as at any other time. In fact, his “appearance” there was electrifying…:-)

- If there was ever a change to a distinguished, statesman-like role (your words) or more aptly put, figurehead (my take), then we may as well consider “that” Apple to start behaving like any other non-Apple, big tech firm. We don’t need a propped-up, smiling, nodding, distinguished, statesman-like Steve as CEO. Not only would it feel wrong, sound wrong, come across wrong, but the rumor mill would start and insist that Steve had left the building (one way or the other) and that Apple was doing this to hide it from us, for as long as possible…:-)

• Posted: 02 January 2009 09:18 PM #17

I think you may have taken me too literally. Let me put it another way… if ever there was a good time for SJ to take a back seat, now would be that time.

Signature

Karate ni sente nashi

• Posted: 04 January 2009 06:26 PM #18

Sources: 17-inch MacBook Pro, NVIDIA Mac mini due shortly

By Kasper Jade
    Published: 03:00 PM EST

Apple as early as Tuesday will introduce a 17-inch MacBook Pro with a fixed internal battery and a new version of the Mac mini, both of which will feature chipsets from NVIDIA, AppleInsider has been able to independently confirm.

People familiar with the matter say both products are due to begin shipping this month but stopped short corroborating a Macworld introduction. That said, this week’s trade show would seem the most likely forum for Apple to announce the new offerings.

In what’s sure to be a controversial move on the part of the Mac maker, those familiar with the new unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro confirm that it will not share the same panel-covered battery layout as its 13- and 15-inch cousins. Instead, the notebook’s battery will be fixed in place and not easily removable by users, similar to the MacBook Air’s.

Additionally, AppleInsider can also confirm that a similarly-timed makeover to the Mac mini will see the diminutive desktop adopt chipsets from NVIDIA’s MCP79 platform, as was previously implied by discoveries within the resource files a Mac OS X build train that shipped on the latest MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

In addition to sporting both a Mini DisplayPort and a Mini DVI connector, it’s now also rumored that the new Mac mini will see the addition of a FireWire 800 port and a fifth USB port, with the legacy FireWire 400 port going away. The Mini DVI connector will allow the mini to continue to cater to users who already own a display, while the Mini DisplayPort will offer support for customers of Apple’s latest LED-backlit Cinema Display.

AppleInsider reported in October that the 17-inch unibody MacBook Pro was delayed by several months as Apple focused on working out some design kinks.

• Posted: 05 January 2009 08:41 AM #19

What’s up with the layout on the online Apple store?
    The iPhone is on a row of its own, with lots of space to the right - for additional iPhone models?
    Has it always been like this?

• Posted: 05 January 2009 05:34 PM #20

iPhone tethering plan for AT&T to be announced at Macworld?

Just about the only Apple rumor that hasn?t been touched upon in the blogopshere leading up to Tuesday?s Macworld keynote has been an iPhone tethering plan for AT&T. The lack of tethering has been an issue for many iPhone power-users since its launch back in 2007 and its addition would surely help boost the iPhone?s ARPU considering the plan has long been rumored to be somewhere in the region of $30/5GB (which is of course the same deal AT&T currently offers its BlackBerry users). Whether or not this rumor pans out is anyone?s guess but only one thing is certain: With this many rumors flying around, the Macword keynote is definitely going to let just about everyone down because there?s no way Apple will hit all of the bases that have been covered.

Posted: 05 January 2009 05:55 PM #21

Both MacRumours and Ars Technica have good summaries of what might (and what might not) be announced tomorrow.  These sites tend to provide informed, sober coverage.

Mace’s tongue-in-cheek rumour is actually the best ‘exit strategy’ I’ve seen for Jobs.  No one could blame Jobs if he quit the captain’s chair to help save the world.  The share price would still fall but the fallout would be nothing like as bad as a sudden abdication owing to health concerns.

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 06 January 2009 12:02 AM #22

Click wheel laptop coming out?  grin

Posted: 06 January 2009 02:04 AM #23

Like the production values on that video.  But may I humbly suggest the MacBook shuffle instead.  LOL

The unibody 17” MacBook Pro with “sealed” battery is interesting.  If true, I think it could work for many people (or at least Phil Schiller would present Apple survey data supporting the lack of need for a removable battery), but it would absolutely have to have out-of-this-world battery life for the class (5-6 hours of real-world use/1.5-2 DVD movies’ worth of battery life or better).

[ Edited: 06 January 2009 03:56 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 06 January 2009 09:57 AM #24

Often talked about for the last 10 months I think today may be the day we get an announcement of the iPhone in China. I do not believe in coincidences
    from Briefing.com
    08:40   CHL China Mobile to pocket 3G license on January 7 - JLM Pacific Epoch (54.23 )

JLM Pacific Epoch reports the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology plans to issue a TD-SCDMA license to China Mobile on January 7, reports Sina quoting an unnamed “authorized” insider. The insider did not comment on 3G licenses for China Telecom (CHA) or China Unicom (CHU). Other unnamed sources said China Mobile has already received a 3G license, while Unicom and Telecom will get licenses tomorrow, reports Communications Weekly. The three telecos plan to make an announcement tomorrow, said the sources. MIIT spokesman Wang Lijian said he did not have any information on the issue and that MIIT is preparing for the licenses.

• Posted: 06 January 2009 12:15 PM #25

Here’s a screenshot someone grabbed that seems to confirm the iPhone nano…scroll to the bottom…

http://www.quicksnapper.com/danny/image/apple-iphone-technical-specifications

Posted: 06 January 2009 03:34 PM #26

It’s interesting that essentially none of these predictions were accurate. It’s little wonder that Steve Jobs didn’t do the keynote.

Posted: 06 January 2009 03:58 PM #27

Yup,
    The 17” MBP and DRM-free iTunes were the rumors that panned out. And thus dies MacWorld and the expectations treadmill. Let’s see what Apple events are coming up.

• Posted: 06 January 2009 04:24 PM #28

Apple can best stabilize its stock price (prevent the wild swings from trading around events) by avoiding events all together. Simply release new products, send out the PR and then possibly have some features demoed to the press after the world already knows about the product. Yes, expectation creates a lot of buz and excitement, but rumors don’t show up on the bottom line. Even a less anticipated event, like the campus presentations which have had only a week’s notice for the press, would afford less opportunity for shorter and traders to game the stock price.

Posted: 06 January 2009 05:16 PM #29

willrob - 06 January 2009 08:24 PM

Apple can best stabilize its stock price (prevent the wild swings from trading around events) by avoiding events all together. Simply release new products, send out the PR and then possibly have some features demoed to the press after the world already knows about the product. Yes, expectation creates a lot of buz and excitement, but rumors don’t show up on the bottom line. Even a less anticipated event, like the campus presentations which have had only a week’s notice for the press, would afford less opportunity for shorter and traders to game the stock price.

I suspect this is another reason why Apple has decided to not participate in these events anymore.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 07 January 2009 08:57 AM #30

I was hoping to see a Mac Mini - Apple TV upgrade/merger.  I think Apple has big plans for these little ones, hence the delay, and it may well be worth a Special Apple event.

The 17” Pro looks terrific!  A knockout in my opinion.