AAPL Intraday Updates

• Posted: 31 December 2008 01:32 AM

It’s the last trading day of the calendar year. What should expect for the markets and AAPL in particular?

[ Edited: 01 January 2009 01:35 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 31 December 2008 02:08 AM #1

If there is any justice in the world than this should have a bit of an impact tomorrow.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Online sales for the holiday period up to December 23 fell 3 percent from the same period last year, marking the first decline in online spending since comScore Inc started tracking online sales in 2001.

Online spending reached $25.5 billion between November 1 and December 23, the company said, noting this was below its expectations for flat sales on the same period a year ago.

Apple Inc and Amazon.com were among the top traffic gainers in an overall bleak period, comScore said.

Apple sites attracted 35 million visitors between December 1 and December 24, up 19 percent from a year ago, while Amazon sites drew 76.2 million visitors over the same period, 7 percent more than a year ago. Wal-Mart also saw its website traffic rise by 4 percent to a total of 51.5 million visitors.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 31 December 2008 05:26 AM #2

Yesterday, “pasdeniaisage” said:

Please don?t take offense to this but, says who? I don?t remember reading anywhere that this tread is reserved to traders. Actually, recently it?s been more of a traders thread than an AAPL thread, you?re correct in that regards. A litle more faith in AAPl and a little less (short-sighted) greed would be a welcome changed, if I may. I miss Tommo.

Added: I know that there?s the word ?intraday? in the thread?s title but there?s also the word ?AAPL?, and we?re on the Apple Financial Board, I don?t come here to read about non-AAPL personal trades or how one is all cash, WTF is he or she doing here if he or she is all cash, I come here because I worship Apple and Steve Jobs, they make my life better and I have faith in the company?s future, that?s why I?m long AAPL and I have as much a saying on intraday action as a short-trader has, I?m not better, not worse, I just have a different time-frame. Cheers!

Sorry to bring this up again from yesterday, but I feel it’s important to mention briefly.

I welcome the discussions that go on in this AAPL forum about trading and the markets in general.
    Belatedly, I accept the obvious, that the world economy, the markets and Apple are interrelated.  We cannot stand isolated in an Apple bubble, dreaming big and viewing only the positive.  That’s how my portfolio got destroyed earlier this year (June-September).  My head was in the sand, trying to block out the screaming warning signs of economic turmoil, while I told myself that each AAPL dip was a buying opportunity that would last only briefly before Steve unveiled a miraculous new product that “the street” couldn’t resist and the stock would shoot back to 200 again.

My hard earned savings evaporated as numerous options contracts headed to zero and my over-margined AAPL was called in. 

My eyes now open, and my head much wiser, I cherish the advice and experiences shared by Eric, Kiwi, litespeed, willrob, Play Ultimate, ConMan, Ern, Plato, Sponge, Winterpool and others.

I am very slowly trying to pick up the pieces.  I’m hoping that by trading AAPL and some of the active, non-Apple stocks discussed here, I can rebuild a long-term position in AAPL.

Thank you to everyone here!  I wish all of us a prosperous year ahead! 
    And of course, I wish the best for Steve, whether he’s leading Apple or relaxing on a beach wink

Posted: 31 December 2008 09:20 AM #3

ApplecoreD - 31 December 2008 09:26 AM

Yesterday, “pasdeniaisage” said:

Please don?t take offense to this but, says who? I don?t remember reading anywhere that this tread is reserved to traders. Actually, recently it?s been more of a traders thread than an AAPL thread, you?re correct in that regards. A litle more faith in AAPl and a little less (short-sighted) greed would be a welcome changed, if I may. I miss Tommo.

Added: I know that there?s the word ?intraday? in the thread?s title but there?s also the word ?AAPL?, and we?re on the Apple Financial Board, I don?t come here to read about non-AAPL personal trades or how one is all cash, WTF is he or she doing here if he or she is all cash, I come here because I worship Apple and Steve Jobs, they make my life better and I have faith in the company?s future, that?s why I?m long AAPL and I have as much a saying on intraday action as a short-trader has, I?m not better, not worse, I just have a different time-frame. Cheers!

Sorry to bring this up again from yesterday, but I feel it’s important to mention briefly.

I welcome the discussions that go on in this AAPL forum about trading and the markets in general.
    Belatedly, I accept the obvious, that the world economy, the markets and Apple are interrelated.  We cannot stand isolated in an Apple bubble, dreaming big and viewing only the positive.  That’s how my portfolio got destroyed earlier this year (June-September).  My head was in the sand, trying to block out the screaming warning signs of economic turmoil, while I told myself that each AAPL dip was a buying opportunity that would last only briefly before Steve unveiled a miraculous new product that “the street” couldn’t resist and the stock would shoot back to 200 again.

My hard earned savings evaporated as numerous options contracts headed to zero and my over-margined AAPL was called in. 

My eyes now open, and my head much wiser, I cherish the advice and experiences shared by Eric, Kiwi, litespeed, willrob, Play Ultimate, ConMan, Ern, Plato, Sponge, Winterpool and others.

I am very slowly trying to pick up the pieces.  I’m hoping that by trading AAPL and some of the active, non-Apple stocks discussed here, I can rebuild a long-term position in AAPL.

Thank you to everyone here!  I wish all of us a prosperous year ahead! 
    And of course, I wish the best for Steve, whether he’s leading Apple or relaxing on a beach wink

Good for you! The way I see it, your problem was that you bought on margin. If you like discussing non-AAPL stocks with your short bodies, why don’t you get together and open the Non-Apple-Finance-Board on the Non-Apple-Talk section of the Non-Mac-Observer web site?

Posted: 31 December 2008 10:18 AM #4

Steve Jobs health watch:

Steve has been alive for 19,669 days.

This is equal to exactly 53 years, 10 months, and 1 week.

More tomorrow. That is all.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 31 December 2008 10:30 AM #5

Woot, woot. Last day mini rally.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 31 December 2008 10:31 AM #6

BillH - 31 December 2008 06:08 AM

If there is any justice in the world than this should have a bit of an impact tomorrow.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - . . .Apple sites attracted 35 million visitors between December 1 and December 24, up 19 percent from a year ago, . . .

Doesn’t look like it is having any impact early. :evil:  rolleyes

edit: scratch that.  :wink:

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 31 December 2008 10:37 AM #7

Wednesday

R4         96.34
      midpoint   94.68
    R3       93.01
      midpoint   91.35
    R2       89.68
      midpoint   88.84
    R1       87.99
      midpoint   87.17
    PP       86.35
      midpoint   85.51
    S1       84.66
      midpoint   83.84
    S2       83.02
      midpoint   81.36
    S3       79.69
      midpoint   78.03
    S4       76.36

Posted: 31 December 2008 11:28 AM #8

Looks like we may need a SJ rumor in order to get the volume up.  rolleyes

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 31 December 2008 11:41 AM #9

I had hoped for AAPL to reach (if not close at) 90+ by the New Year, but yesterday’s Gizmodo rumour put paid to that.  As the broader indices closed up over 2 per cent, and AAPL was heading over 88 when the rumour hit, it’s quite possible we would have made 90 today.  Bloody hell.

I wish there were a way for me to tell advertising surveys, etc, that I do not trust Gizmodo any more, which is the only way I can think to visit righteous retaliation on an ad-supported site.

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 31 December 2008 11:47 AM #10

Play Ultimate - 31 December 2008 03:28 PM

Looks like we may need a SJ rumor in order to get the volume up.  rolleyes

Throw down on the MacWorld rumors thread.  grin

Signature

Posted: 31 December 2008 01:56 PM #11

A knight in white armor is buying AAPL   grin

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 31 December 2008 02:34 PM #12

Oil is up in the biggest move in some time moving the USO (finally) suggesting that outlying futures contracts know something.

http://www.nymex.com/lsco_fut_cso.aspx

Signature

• Posted: 31 December 2008 02:49 PM #13

Eric Landstrom - 31 December 2008 06:34 PM

Oil is up in the biggest move in some time moving the USO (finally) suggesting that outlying futures contracts know something.

http://www.nymex.com/lsco_fut_cso.aspx

There is also DXO for anyone looking for an oil play.

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

• Posted: 31 December 2008 03:38 PM #14

markets are flying..RIMM up >6%. The downward pressure an AAPL is amazing..

Posted: 31 December 2008 03:39 PM #15

Helas, it appears profit-taking will prevent AAPL from seeing even yesterday’s pre-panic highs.  I’ll be content if we can manage above 87 to close the year.  :rollsanta:  Though it would be awfully nice if we could stick it to Gizmodo by closing above 88.

Edited: I prefer cashmere to tin foil, but these past several days, whilst everyone else is getting their post-Christmas, end-of-year rally, and AAPL is kept below 90, you really start to wonder if someone is keeping his boot on your neck.

Most of the popular tech and ‘qualite speculative growth’ plays are up more than 1 per cent (GOOG, FCX, FSLR, HPQ, etc).  Meanwhile AAPL is with laggards like Dell.

[ Edited: 31 December 2008 03:46 PM by Winterpool ]

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain