Apple lied and no one cares…

Posted: 15 January 2009 10:40 AM #16

Nice post and good to see you posting SG.  Missed your intellect very much.  :wink:

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 15 January 2009 10:58 AM #17

Personally I find these accusations that Steve Jobs lied to us about his health comments disgusting. You guys sound like a bunch of “Fake Steve Jobs” and sleazy lawyers. Steve is the last person that would want anything he says or does to negatively affect the value of aapl.  He has more to lose than anybody,  Give the guy and his family a break, he’s sick.

Why is it so hard to believe that after his first comments, a few week ago about is doctors telling him he has a hormonal imbalance, and then later telling him the best way is to address his health problems is to remove the stress that he is under, and to take 6 months off to relax and regain his health.

Signature

ldrhawke

Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups or of Hedge Funds that Naked Short Sell aapl

Posted: 15 January 2009 11:06 AM #18

I and presumably much of this board agree with you 100%.  But as investors we must try to anticipate the herds direction.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 15 January 2009 11:19 AM #19

artman1033 - 15 January 2009 12:49 PM

HERE is Fake Steve Jobs calling Jim Goldman a punk.

I know it is painful for many of us to watch. What the heck. Steve played us like BERNIE MADOFF played his victims.

Steve Jobs should announce his COMPLETE resignation from the company.

Aside from Dan Lyons on-going crusade against Apple because Dan doesn’t like how Apple has treated him and aside from Dan’s ad hominem against Goldman’s person, what is the story?

I’ll tell you: the street assumes the Jobs is not coming back and prices Jobs out of AAPL. With the uncertainty of Jobs prices out of the stock, that measure of uncertainty is gone increasing the stability of the equity. With Jobs out of the picture, now we only have the wall of worry every company faces: the economy.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 15 January 2009 11:21 AM #20

ldrhawke - 15 January 2009 02:58 PM

Why is it so hard to believe that after his first comments, a few week ago about is doctors telling him he has a hormonal imbalance, and then later telling him the best way is to address his health problems is to remove the stress that he is under, and to take 6 months off to relax and regain his health.

I tend to be along the same line of thinking: it is quite possible that a few weeks ago he SJ knew he had a hormonal imbalance problem and now the diagnosis has changed. Medical science is not as exact as we would like, with plenty of diverging opinions on the same symptoms. Therefore, the only way to be sure that SJ and Apple lied to us is to have evidence that the information they had on hand at the time was considerable different than what they published at the time.

I believe that if he had cancer, SJ would not be out of commission until June. Note, I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. From what I know; if you have cancer, in six months you are either well on the way to recovery and could work, or well on the way to ...elsewhere. Six months of rest and recuperation could be more in line with some other debilitating disease, which modern biology has made curable.

(Now lets get on with stem cell research; but that is for another thread)
    [EDIT: formating]

[ Edited: 15 January 2009 11:24 AM by awcabot ]

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 15 January 2009 12:36 PM #21

FWIW ... Larry Kudlow on CNBC just mentioned that it is being rumored that Steve Jobs will have his Pancreas removed, if this turns out to be true it is a very bad sign.  In any case, I’m sure everyone wishes him well ... one way or another I’m confident that AAPL will recover I hope Mr. Jobs does as well .... regardless if he ever comes back to Apple or not.

With regards to weather or not he “lied” .... the simple truth is this :

You do NOT know what he knew and when he knew it .... simple as that ....  I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Posted: 15 January 2009 12:39 PM #22

Eric Landstrom - 15 January 2009 03:19 PM

... I’ll tell you: the street assumes the Jobs is not coming back and prices Jobs out of AAPL. With the uncertainty of Jobs prices out of the stock, that measure of uncertainty is gone increasing the stability of the equity. With Jobs out of the picture, now we only have the wall of worry every company faces: the economy.

I’m assuming that too.  Probably stay on as Chairman and as some kind of strategic vision architect/advisor.  Is time to have a new CEO.  Judging from events, Tim Cook would be the successor.  Those who doesn’t support him as successor have probably left ... recall many top executives have left.  Charlie thinks along the same line:

“Charlie Wolf, Needham: He maintains his Strong Buy rating and $240 target. ?While it will be difficult for Apple shares to outperform with this could hanging over the stock, the fact that Mr. Jobs did not resign nor did the Board call for his resignation suggests that he may well be telling the truth,? he writes. ?In short, with the stock likely trading on the prospect Mr. Jobs will never return, the news today could represent an incredible buying opportunity.?  Read more.

[ Edited: 15 January 2009 12:55 PM by Mace ]

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 15 January 2009 12:55 PM #23

Let’s not lose sight of the difficulty SJ and his family are going through right now.

Medicine is an extremely imprecise science, and many of us and our loved ones have faced the uncertainty of knowing something is wrong and not being able to get to the crux of the issue.

Employees, even CEOs, have rights at their place of employment, and determining when a valued colleague can no longer fulfill their duties is painful, difficult, tricky, and a really bad roller coaster ride for everybody involved. This type of situation is bad enough on its own, but the mess gets amplified when it plays out on a public stage.

I see no evidence that Apple lied, but I do see evidence of an unfortunate chain of events that commonly occurs when active people are faced with a deteriorating health situation. One may argue that Apple could have handled this better, but dealing with these types of issues is never pretty.

• Posted: 15 January 2009 12:55 PM #24

Now that everyone has had a little time to hear the news, see the reaction, count the losses (gains if your were short common or long puts), take a deep breath and start to think a little more rationally, I’d like to pose a question I haven’t seen addressed here. Perhaps I’ve missed it elsewhere?

I agree that Steve’s health issues have been handled a bit clumsily. But HOW else exactly would anybody here have handled it?

In this situation any announcement at all is guaranteed to cause a reaction in the share price.

The best strategy IMO is to wait as long as possible until you have the best possible information about the facts. That’s what they seem to have done here.

Which is better? To make a single announcement with accurate-as-possible facts, or to parcel it out in a succession of ever-changing dribs and drabs? (And yes, the best possible medical opinions can change with new developments.)

OTOH (assuming we’ve now heard the worst of it), the other question is WHEN else exactly would anyone here have made the announcement in order to minimize adverse impact on the share price? This past Macworld together with bland product announcements? “Oh, one more thing… Steve’s stepping down.” Or perhaps at the upcoming earnings report? “We had a great quarter but we’re lowering guidance going forward because of 1. the economy’s in the toilet and 2. our fearless leader is leaving us.” Losses in either case would probably be heavier than what you’re seeing today.

Besides, if there were a serious medical problem and the inevitable announcement delayed even longer, how long do you think it would be before it leaked out anyway - and in an uncontrolled manner? Then it would really look like they’re hiding something.

As much as I dislike the current situation and how it has played out, I personally can’t think of any other practical way they could have handled it based on what we know currently.

If someone else here has a better solution, lets hear it.  grin

On a personal, human note, I’m sorry to hear this kind of news about anyone.

Steve, if any of this is getting back to you, our thoughts and prayers are with you and we’re hoping for a speedy and thorough recovery.

edit: typos

[ Edited: 15 January 2009 01:00 PM by JimDE ]

Signature

“A man who’s not a liberal when he’s twenty has no heart. A man who’s not a conservative when he’s 40 has no brain.” - Winston Churchill

Posted: 15 January 2009 12:56 PM #25

For those who think SJ lies, please watch the TV show, House.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 15 January 2009 01:04 PM #26

We’re all dying in one fashion or the other.

Therefore, we should all be unemployed.
    Companies will have no workers.
    They will cease to exist.
    Stockholders will lose their shirts.

This is getting stupid.

If you as a stockholder ASSUME that the health of the company is directly proportional to the health of one person, you are not an investor. Investors are in for the long haul. We’ve seen the ups, the downs. Guess what, Apple’s stock is still way up. I remember $6 per share that I sold at having bought at $16 and taking a loss, and that was after holding for several years. If I still had it, at $80+, I’d consider myself wealthy. But I don’t.

Give the man a break. Let the company sort all this out and stop panicking. Apple will still be here tomorrow. Which is more than we can say for some companies (paging Gateway…)

Posted: 15 January 2009 01:10 PM #27

I am not sure if there is a legal requirement for a corporation to tell the truth about an executive’s health, someone here who is more up on that sort of law can pipe in. However, all a person had to do was look at recent photos of Steve to know that there were some health issues going on, hence all the recent rumors and speculation. Now this may not be the end of him or even the beginning of the end, I have known family and friends to come back after being serious ill and live a long time afterwards.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 15 January 2009 01:10 PM #28

Mace - 15 January 2009 04:56 PM

For those who think SJ lies, please watch the TV show, House.

Everyone lies according to House…

Wish he was his doc., we’d know in a few days what he has and he would be cured.

• Posted: 15 January 2009 01:11 PM #29

JimDE - 15 January 2009 04:55 PM

Now that everyone has had a little time to hear the news, see the reaction, count the losses (gains if your were short common or long puts), take a deep breath and start to think a little more rationally, I’d like to pose a question I haven’t seen addressed here. Perhaps I’ve missed it elsewhere?

I agree that Steve’s health issues have been handled a bit clumsily. But HOW else exactly would anybody here have handled it?

In this situation any announcement at all is guaranteed to cause a reaction in the share price.

The best strategy IMO is to wait as long as possible until you have the best possible information about the facts. That’s what they seem to have done here.

Which is better? To make a single announcement with accurate-as-possible facts or to parcel it out in a succession of ever-changing dribs and drabs? (And yes, the best possible medical opinions can change with new developments.)

OTOH (assuming we’ve now heard the worst of it), the other question is WHEN else exactly would anyone here have made the announcement to minimize adverse impact on the share price? This past Macworld together with bland product announcements? “Oh, one more thing… Steve’s stepping down.” Or perhaps at the upcoming earnings report? “We had a great quarter but we’re lowering guidance going forward because of 1. the economy’s in the toilet and 2. our fearless leader is leaving us.” Losses in either case would probably be heavier than what you’re seeing today.

Besides, if there were a serious medical problem and the inevitable announcement delayed even longer, how long do you think it would be before it leaked out anyway - and in an uncontrolled manner? Then it would really look like they’re hiding something.

As much as I dislike the current situation and how it has played out, I personally can’t think of any other practical way they could have handled it based on what we know currently.

If someone else here has a better solution, lets hear it.  grin

On a personal, human note, I’m sorry to hear this kind news about anyone.

Steve, if any of this is getting back to you, our thoughts and prayers are with you and we’re hoping for a speedy and thorough recovery.

You’re probably right about this.
    Apple doesn’t just shoot from its proverbial hip, and this move was probably engineered in Apple’s backrooms for some time now.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they had one of their software teams model the outcomes for a set of contingencies and picked this way as the one with the least damage to the company.

Anyway, as an Apple investor I have no ill feelings towards Jobs himself and wish him a speedy recovery regardless of whether he comes back or not. After all, this is a human being, not some Apple product. We tend to forget that sometimes.

• Posted: 15 January 2009 04:28 PM #30

Actually I was under the impression that a person’s health is personal and nobody is under any obligation to tell anyone anything about themselves they don’t want to.

You don’t take ownership of someone’s personal life just because you own a bit of their company or use their products.

Just count yourselves lucky you’re not going through what SJ is, and if you are then you have my sincerest sympathies.

Most people should be grateful they’re fit and well and stop whining about their stock prices.