AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 15 January 2009 02:27 AM

Thursday morning comes soon.

How will AAPL respond at the opening bell?

[ Edited: 18 January 2009 02:40 PM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 15 January 2009 08:40 AM #1

RBC Capital has just lowered AAPL to Sector Underperform.  Unbelievable.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 15 January 2009 08:58 AM #2

R4 93.46
    R3 90.88
    R2 88.30
    R1 86.76
    PP 85.72
    S1 84.18
    S2 83.14
    S3 80.56
    S4 77.98

Posted: 15 January 2009 09:04 AM #3

AAPL halted again.  news pending

edit: Disregard.  Briefing.com headline posted to streaming headlines on eTrade by some hacker maybe.

[ Edited: 15 January 2009 09:07 AM by macglenn ]

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 15 January 2009 09:14 AM #4

macglenn - 15 January 2009 01:04 PM

AAPL halted again.  news pending

edit: Disregard.  Briefing.com headline posted to streaming headlines on eTrade by some hacker maybe.

OK, I just wanted to ask as the Pre-Market value on Google Finance: AAPL is still changing, currently around 79.2

Posted: 15 January 2009 09:29 AM #5

Just in case one didn’t know already…  :eg:  The two viewpoints that will be contending today:

Time to sell Apple’:

But I don’t invest on hope. The health of Steve Jobs is not a private matter, not when he is the soul of Apple. We never had good information since his cancer scare. Jim Cramer says that accounting irregularities mean “sell”. I say that any information irregularities mean “sell”. I am selling at least half of my position on Thursday.

Selloff creates golden buying opportunity’:

Let’s face it, everyone is replaceable, even Steve Jobs. Of course he is a genius, but that does not preclude the fact he was a bit overrated. After all, he is just one man. The market is just too fickle, and in a couple of days all this noise will be ancient history.

Healthcare worries abate: Now that Jobs has stepped down, Wall Street’s lingering obsession regarding his health is also gone. The uncertainty has finally vanished, and that is a good thing. As a result, the stock has nowhere to go but up, and if Jobs does return in six months, the share price will get even a bigger bounce.

The bullish blogger closes with the inevitable Buffet quote.

Also: various analysts discuss how much of a premium Jobs is worth in this climate.

Personal disclosure: I am down to 50 shares myself so I haven’t that much ‘skin’ in the game.  I’ll probably wait and watch the rest of the week and see where the ‘new normal’ settles.

[ Edited: 15 January 2009 09:32 AM by Winterpool ]

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 15 January 2009 09:39 AM #6

Interesting to see AAPL somewhat stable in the mid-$79s this AM. I suspect we will see a strong move one way or another; just totally ignorant as to direction.

FWIW, Initial Jobless claims, as suspected, rose.

EDIT: above $81 now. At this rate, the sell-off may be gone by the open.  :oh:

[ Edited: 15 January 2009 09:48 AM by Play Ultimate ]

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 15 January 2009 09:53 AM #7

Wow, what’s happening?  Who’s buying?

We might soon be at the price I was anticipating for the end of the week anyway.

Edited: I just hope no one is buying expecting Jobs to return in June.  That just brings us back to where we were (ie uncertainty about leadership).

[ Edited: 15 January 2009 09:56 AM by Winterpool ]

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 15 January 2009 10:01 AM #8

Winterpool - 15 January 2009 01:53 PM

We might soon be at the price I was anticipating for the end of the week anyway.

Edited: I just hope no one is buying expecting Jobs to return in June.  That just brings us back to where we were (ie uncertainty about leadership).

Given the current sentiment, I suspect not.  Which may mean people are actually looking at Apple for once.  rolleyes

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 15 January 2009 10:08 AM #9

That just brings us back to where we were (ie uncertainty about leadership).

According to a Bloomberg article this A.m., Tim Cook has been running the day to day operations of the company for the last five years. Steve’s roll as guru is currently on hold, but the bottom line is secure.

Posted: 15 January 2009 10:14 AM #10

Check out the PM volume. Short covering from those shorting last night?!?

Signature

Posted: 15 January 2009 10:34 AM #11

willrob - 15 January 2009 02:08 PM

That just brings us back to where we were (ie uncertainty about leadership).

According to a Bloomberg article this A.m., Tim Cook has been running the day to day operations of the company for the last five years. Steve’s roll as guru is currently on hold, but the bottom line is secure.

Don’t forget that for the longest time, he was CEO at both Apple AND Pixar. He’s probably acted as a visionary/deal maker and less of a daily hands-on guy longer than anyone realizes. That said, he’s still going to be acting as a strategy guy in the interim (if reports are to be believed). Products take a long time to develop. There’s are good chance that several new things are already in the pipeline. Apple will continue to grow for several years even if SJ never comes back. All these analysts blathering about the demise of Apple are shortsighted IMO. They are the same morons yelling Buy at the top of every market.

Short term probably painful but longterm a steal at these prices if the economy ever recovers.

Posted: 15 January 2009 10:34 AM #12

Here we go.

Despite the understandable ‘they lied!’ reactions, otherwise, much of the press coverage overnight has been positive—Apple is a strong company with strong fundamentals, superb products, the best talent, etc etc.  If this were a slightly different place in the economy cycle, I could see plenty of punters taking advantage of the buying opportunities, but considering where we are right now, I dunno.

How’s the volume?

Edited: we going to hit 82?  Bloody hell… colour me surprised.

Some punters out there have a $6 per share profit already since last night.

[ Edited: 15 January 2009 10:42 AM by Winterpool ]

Signature

Posted: 15 January 2009 10:57 AM #13

People like myself who covered at the bell, flipped long for a trade.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 15 January 2009 11:04 AM #14

Eric Landstrom - 15 January 2009 02:57 PM

People like myself who covered at the bell, flipped long for a trade.

Did you get out of BAC? Holy smokes, they’re getting PUMMELED! :bugeyed:

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 15 January 2009 11:10 AM #15

C is nearly keeping pace.  Now below $4, close to 3.75.

Edited: 45 minutes after open, and AAPL has come down a bit, but still above $80.

Apple shareholders are wusses

Well, some apparently aren’t?

[ Edited: 15 January 2009 11:16 AM by Winterpool ]

Signature