AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:19 AM #61

Because of Intel yesterday?  The Gartner report?  Which, mind you, again saw Apple growth, even if that growth was slowing.  Acer had massive unit growth, but they probably profit two dollars per Netbook.  Dell, on the other hand…

Second test of S1.  Let’s see if I should buy this morning after all…

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:24 AM #62

Don’t forget Monday is a holiday.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:26 AM #63

Ah, thanks for the reminder, Play.  I suspect there won’t be positive momentum coming out of today then…

Okay, I think I might hold back from buying after all.  Unless the prices simply look too tempting.

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:28 AM #64

Winterpool - 16 January 2009 03:14 PM

I thought the market would be good for a rally of a few days going into Obamanauguration.  You don’t have Hope, Eric?

The Street has been driving AAPL down since the summer with the whole ‘consumer discretionary spending is dead’ logic.  Are we back to the same old same old after yesterday?  But why shouldn’t AAPL move with a general market bounce?  Did we exhaust our buyers in yesterday’s trial?

Edited: S1 held.  Might dip my toe back in presently.

The trend is your friend except at the ends. If we get an Obama rally, short the Qs and the S&P because bad things happen to good companies and with exception of chartguy who has implimented a one-man stimulus plan every time he drives, the economy is expected to continue to spiral downward. We know that the recession is effecting all levels when average cost of a new Aston Martin is down 20-25%.

Stimulus plan wise I’ve been fishing around for an insurance underwriter of highway projects (let me know if you find one), and companies like CAT.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:30 AM #65

Plato - 16 January 2009 03:16 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 16 January 2009 03:08 PM

The street tends to think that AAPL is dead money and the stock will not work until we start pulling out of a recession because Apple products are consumer discretionary.

I can understand this - the confusing this is why is first up to 84.30 with all the other tech stocks and plunges within 10 minutes?

Short selling (edit: on potential shareholder lawsuits, shorting any rally)?

Ola Amigos! Though I agree in logic that Apple is consumer discretionary, why are rimm and mot up? At a quick glance, seems that aapl is trading along with hpq & ibm as a pc company today. 5-day chart shows that aapl has been following hpq & intc. INTC broke away this a.m. on forward guidance from earnings, but still is following the same general pattern as aapl and hpq. Perhaps since aapl is so close to earnings as well, it is being traded as a computer maker for the next few days rather than a handset maker?

Just borrowing the Captain Obvious suit from Eric.  :wink:

[ Edited: 16 January 2009 11:35 AM by kiwitrader ]      

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:34 AM #66

Welcome back, Kiwi.  I hope you enjoyed your holiday!  You missed some very big news, as I’m sure you know!  Interesting that you left us round the time of the Gizmodo rumour and return on its, well, I shan’t say confirmation.

CAT seems too obvious a stimulus play, but sometimes obvious works.  Cramer (yes, him) reminded me about education, though I tend to think most for-profit unis are scams.  There are a few billion for education in the stimulus package, I recall.

Which companies manufacture shovels?

Edited: like yesterday, buyers appear below $81.  I suspect there’s no way I’ll see $79 this month, not if the health news couldn’t do it (at least during the official trading day, heh).

[ Edited: 16 January 2009 11:37 AM by Winterpool ]

Signature

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:36 AM #67

kiwitrader - 16 January 2009 03:30 PM

Just borrowing the Captain Obvious suit from Eric.  :wink:

dun-da-dah!

Smile.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:42 AM #68

FWIW, today’s MaxPain is down to $100. Guess we won’t be there today.  rolleyes

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:43 AM #69

Forget it, changed my mind.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:49 AM #70

Good Morning Boys and Girls

The sponge has been too busy to post.  You all are doing a great job of making obvious observations.

Having dipped in last week and then getting cold feet and taking a small profit, I am all cash.  Most of my position was sold at about 97 back at the beginning of Nov.

So I feel good to see the downtrend.  Some are predicting 40 but 60 is what I am looking for.  The trading for the last 4 weeks shows lots of weakness in aapl.

I have learned a great deal in the last 24 months.  Forget aapl and fundamentals but look at the overall market.  there is no economic data to indicate things are getting better but rather the opposite.  I know the market is forward looking and timing the bottom is not easy.  But, until I see the slide stop and then get some serious resistance, I am not too comfortable with getting back in.  I think millions feel the same way thus the market is in a rut.

Good Luck to all.

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:52 AM #71

Dvorak says the chance that SJ will return is NIL, and without SJ Apple is just another Sony.  Apple will fall apart down the road after 2011. Without SJ, Apple “will begin to fade into the gray, me-too corporate abyss from whence it emerged.”

Hence in the long term, AAPL stock is doomed!

What is the future without Steve?
    Commentary: Without Jobs, Apple is Sony

Love this negativity. Great buying opportunity here soon!

Signature

“Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again.”    - Jesse Livermore

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:53 AM #72

Indeed Kiwi welcome back -
    to what must be a freezing Windy city.

Signature

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company…

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:56 AM #73

cramar - 16 January 2009 03:52 PM

Dvorak says the chance that SJ will return is NIL, and without SJ Apple is just another Sony.  Apple will fall apart down the road after 2011. Without SJ, Apple “will begin to fade into the gray, me-too corporate abyss from whence it emerged.”

And this from the man who said…and I quote…

The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a ?mouse?. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I dont want one of these new fangled devices.

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 16 January 2009 11:56 AM #74

cramar - 16 January 2009 03:52 PM

It amazes me that people would attribute all of Apple’s success and innovation to one person.  There is no doubt they will never be the same, but they are in a position to propel them forward with or without him.

I agree, great buying opportunity.  We just need to wait until the overall economy recovers since we follow the market rather then lead it.  And that could take 2 to 3 years unfortunately.

Posted: 16 January 2009 12:02 PM #75

Is this AAPL’s fourth foray into sub-$81 territory?  Is someone trying to tell me something?  Anyone else tempted to buy at this price (I have all the courage of others)?

What Dvorak and many of the Apple-sans-Jobs stories are implying is that Apple will become ‘just another tech company’ and lose its premium (whether you attribute that premium to future growth or Steve’s reality distortion field).  Without Steve, will Apple continue to be a visionary company?

I don’t think that’s something we can answer with any surety.  Ideally we need Cook and Ive to meld into one composite CEO, otherwise, Apple may have to look beyond its current bench.

Signature