AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 16 January 2009 01:04 PM #91

omacvi - 16 January 2009 03:56 PM

... I agree, great buying opportunity.  We just need to wait until the overall economy recovers since we follow the market rather then lead it.  And that could take 2 to 3 years unfortunately.

In other words, investors should stay in cash and don’t go long term long until 2 to 3 years later.  Wonder whether most AFBers agree with your assertions that economy would take 2 to 3 years to recover.  I’ve the same impression from reading the mass media.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 16 January 2009 01:21 PM #92

Eric Landstrom - 16 January 2009 04:59 PM

The larger point is that traders are happier without the SJ factor and we priced him right out of the stock.

Well, looks like $80 may hold up as support as long as the indices don’t cave in below yesterday afternoon’s dip that occured around 3:40. FWIW, it’s retesting as I type.

Even so, I don’t see much chance of a ride past $86 until some concrete earnings get reported.  :-?

Posted: 16 January 2009 01:25 PM #93

Mace - 16 January 2009 05:04 PM
    omacvi - 16 January 2009 03:56 PM

... I agree, great buying opportunity.  We just need to wait until the overall economy recovers since we follow the market rather then lead it.  And that could take 2 to 3 years unfortunately.

In other words, investors should stay in cash and don’t go long term long until 2 to 3 years later.  Wonder whether most AFBers agree with your assertions that economy would take 2 to 3 years to recover.  I’ve the same impression from reading the mass media.

Recover? We’re heading into a a missing decade like Japan. Economists expect a 50% retrace from our high and whether we like it or not, we’re all keynesians now. Spend, .gov, spend!

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 16 January 2009 01:34 PM #94

Eric Landstrom - 16 January 2009 05:25 PM

Recover? We’re heading into a a missing decade like Japan. Economists expect a 50% retrace from our high and whether we like it or not, we’re all keynesians now. Spend, .gov, spend!

Worse than Japan. At least they are a producer nation, and make stuff that the world wants, and their populace had significant savings. We, on the other hand, are the ultimate consumers, so we’re screwed. And we have our government to thank for it. Not dems vs gop, but the whole crew. Now the shyte heads that got us into this mess are forcing the solution down our throats by spending our way out of this morass? What a farce! It’s like the twilight zone!

Take your money and buy gold and platinum. Invest in foreign stocks that pay dividends, primarily Asian, stay away from UK, France and Germany because they’re as stupid as we are, and probably in worse shape because they continue to buy our debt until we no longer have influence over them.

-erntheburn

Signature

Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
    -Wish you were here

Posted: 16 January 2009 01:39 PM #95

erntheburn - 16 January 2009 05:34 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 16 January 2009 05:25 PM

Worse than Japan. At least they are a producer nation, and make stuff that the world wants, and their populace had significant savings. We, on the other hand, are the ultimate consumers, so we’re screwed. And we have our government to thank for it. Not dems vs gop, but the whole crew. Now the shyte heads that got us into this mess are forcing the solution down our throats by spending our way out of this morass? What a farce! It’s like the twilight zone!

Take your money and buy gold and platinum. Invest in foreign stocks that pay dividends, primarily Asian, stay away from UK, France and Germany because they’re as stupid as we are, and probably in worse shape because they continue to buy our debt until we no longer have influence over them.

-erntheburn

I wouldn’t invest in precious metals because they are not used in manufacturing and the bottom can drop out over night faster than Ken Lewis can say the dividend is safe.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 16 January 2009 01:43 PM #96

kiwitrader - 16 January 2009 05:21 PM

The larger point is that traders are happier without the SJ factor and we priced him right out of the stock.

Well, looks like $80 may hold up as support as long as the indices don’t cave in below yesterday afternoon’s dip that occured around 3:40. FWIW, it’s retesting as I type.

Even so, I don’t see much chance of a ride past $86 until some concrete earnings get reported.  :-?

You see a ride?

This is the ride:

C is now below the shortable level (hard to find shares). But BAC isn’t. So short it into the ground. When BAc becomes hard to short, then short JPM into the ground.

Signature

• Posted: 16 January 2009 01:46 PM #97

Eric Landstrom - 16 January 2009 05:43 PM

You see a ride?

This is the ride:

C is now below the shortable level (hard to find shares). But BAC isn’t. So short it into the ground. When BAc becomes hard to short, then short JPM into the ground.

Sold my last BAC shares (for a loss) and shorted it! I think we will see 6s today for BAC - no support in sight for this stock!

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 16 January 2009 02:06 PM #98

Eric Landstrom - 16 January 2009 05:43 PM

You see a ride?

This is the ride:

My post says, that I don’t see any chance of a ride past $86. Which means if there’s a ride in the next 3 days before they report, my bet is it won’t get past $86.  Reading between the lines of what I said is this: “Don’t bother trading aapl today, there’s plenty of other more lucrcrative looking trades out there ATM.” Since the thread’s about aapl, I didn’t want to over talk my already OT comments, therby ticking my friends off here.  :wink:

Edit: BTW, S&P held 830 and aapl held $80. Now that Obama has finished speaking, lets see if those levels can continue to hold… FSLR and FLR are calling my name.  :innocent:

[ Edited: 16 January 2009 02:12 PM by kiwitrader ]      

Posted: 16 January 2009 02:33 PM #99

Sold my BAC also.  What a disaster that was. rolleyes  The dividend was the only reason I was still holding.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 16 January 2009 02:47 PM #100

Brian Lam from Gizmodo wrote a piece regarding publishing of rumours, steve jobs & co:
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5133108/feel-better-steve

I can only say that I agree with the points he raises…

Posted: 16 January 2009 03:08 PM #101

incorrigible - 16 January 2009 06:33 PM

Sold my BAC also.  What a disaster that was. rolleyes  The dividend was the only reason I was still holding.

There are people who are wiped out and are being forced to liquidate. Very sad.

Signature

Posted: 16 January 2009 03:35 PM #102

Heading for some great R&R in Yosemite.

I am still very bullish on the US economy, its method of gov., its people, and ultimately Apple.

We will get through this.  Cheap loans was the culprit and easy money.  Once the houses stop sliding we do just fine.

Posted: 16 January 2009 04:03 PM #103

Set up a limit order and went out to lunch; returned to find my buy was never triggered, but AAPL was about to hit 82.  Oh well.  I’d have been fairly satisfied with reaching 86 next week if I’d bought below 81.  I was planning on selling half before Q1 earnings and then seeing what the report would wreak…

I don’t want to belabour the somewhat tired topic of The Decline of the American Empire, but I should point out to Ernie et al that, with a few exceptions, Asian companies who ‘make things’ haven’t really taken over the world in the last couple of decades.  And would anyone here trade our equities markets of the last twenty years with Japan’s?  Not to mention all those Asians who make things sell a great proportion of them to us feckless Westerners.  As this downturn is revealing yet again, we live in the age of globalisation; ‘decoupling’ is a myth (after the Chinese quintiple their per capita income, maybe this state of affairs will change).

I’ve also never understood the valorisation of manufacturing.  Manufacturing is low-margin, presumably because it’s low value-adding.  iPods and MacBooks are made in China, but where do the vast majority of the profits go?  The things in life we truly value, once we get beyond subsistence and basic manufactures, are services or strongly tied in with services (eg design, aesthetics, etc).

If you were a millionaire (well, perhaps some of you are), other than property, where would you spend the bulk of funds?  Certainly not on more tvs or cars.  They would probably go to nice meals, holidays, life-extending medical care, beautiful women (or men), engaging company, etc.  Not things, but services, experiences.  And that’s where the profits will be as the world (or at least Asians) rises into the affluent consumer class.

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 16 January 2009 04:31 PM #104

Nice big drop from $82.19 to $80.82 in five minutes, after a rather boring afternoon. Any reasons?
    Similar drop in the S&P, on high volume.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 16 January 2009 04:37 PM #105

Bloomberg: Jobs may need a liver transplant (From ToS).

Signature

Tightwad.