“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 21 January 2009 06:55 PM #152

ConMan - 21 January 2009 10:54 PM

Did you just catch that IP threat?!!

edit: Can you say Palm Pre?

the subject just took them back under $90

• Posted: 21 January 2009 06:58 PM #153

Yeah, that was a VERY thinly veiled threat.

Posted: 21 January 2009 06:59 PM #154

Kiwi, the basic white MacBook is now a very good deal (for Apple, heh): its technology is essentially identical to the basic aluminium MacBook now (2 GHz cpu, 2 GB memory, nVidia 9400M graphics) but $300 less.  The graphics are key: far superior to Intel graphics, and from what I understand essential for future-proofing your Mac for the more graphics-intensive OS X iterations we can expect in the future.  I should expect you’ll be able to find this white MacBook at $950ish sooner or later at Amazon, MacMall, etc.

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

• Posted: 21 January 2009 07:00 PM #155

Tim didn’t disclose what percentage of the 500mio downloads were free and which were paid.

That’s it! CC is over.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 21 January 2009 07:02 PM #156

Winterpool - 21 January 2009 10:59 PM

Kiwi, the basic white MacBook is now a very good deal ...I should expect you’ll be able to find this white MacBook at $950ish sooner or later at Amazon, MacMall, etc.

Groovy! and once my son is about 5 and ready for his own laptop, it will go to him! In the meantime, I’ll be earning his college tuition with it.  :wink:

Posted: 21 January 2009 07:02 PM #157

Tim reiterated the mandate to defend Apple IP in response to a fairly direct queetion about Palm, right?

Ah, Goldman remarks: ‘COULD APPLE BE SETTING THE STAGE FOR A LEGAL, IP SHOWDOWN WITH PALM?’ [caps his]

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 21 January 2009 07:03 PM #158

ConMan - 21 January 2009 10:54 PM

Did you just catch that IP threat?!!

edit: Can you say Palm Pre?

edit 2: Holy Smokes…go Tim!!!!

I was thinking more of Psystar

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 21 January 2009 07:14 PM #159

I feel a peculiar mixture of joy and frustration at this moment.  I’m thrilled that Apple blew out this quarter, despite the horrible holiday season.  I also note Goldman’s observation that this call didn’t feature hectoring re: Jobs, succession, etc. 

...it would appear Wall Street is focusing on Apple’s fundamentals, rather than the ongoing rumors and speculation. We have clear numbers from last quarter, and a clearer forecast than we’ve had in the past. Both go way beyond even the most optimistic expectations by Wall Street analysts.

Apple has demonstrated yet again what a fantastic company it is, unparalleled in any of the industries it deigns to compete in.  I feel a revival of the old confidence, that Apple will sustain the economic storm, and should prosper when the economy recovers.

My frustration, of course: I didn’t believe sufficiently in Apple or my own forecast to buy massively at yesterday’s bottom, as I was sorely tempted to do.  And given Apple’s numbers today, I don’t think I’ll be seeing sub-$80 shares for at least a month or two.  rolleyes

Edited: or to put it more bluntly, bring me the head of Eric Landstrom!  :drool:

To be fair to Eric, he never told me outright not to buy yesterday, and any decisions I make are of course my own.  And I’ve no doubt Eric generally calls these things better than I do.  :wink:

[ Edited: 21 January 2009 07:22 PM by Winterpool ]

Signature

Posted: 21 January 2009 07:20 PM #160

Winterpool, I thought I read you saying you had 50 shares of AAPL. How many do you mean when you say “buy massively”? Just curious.

Posted: 21 January 2009 07:32 PM #161

I had 150 shares coming into today.  I was planning on buying at least 500 shares yesterday at 78ish (which is ‘massive’ to someone of my modest means :groucho: ).  Even a $10 profit per share would have netted me quite a bit more than a month’s salary, heh (I don’t earn very much at my day job!).  Though, realistically, I would have followed the strategy I outlined a few pages ago, which means I probably would have held only two or three hundred shares going into the earnings call. 

I briefly considered even a thousand shares, but I don’t think I could have pulled the trigger on that kind of purchase.

Of course, once I saw the way things were going today, there was nothing stopping me from buying round $80 most of the day.  (My coworker at the next desk was hollering at me all day to buy at $80, telling me my scenario was coming to pass.)  But I’ve a massive psychological problem with squandered opportunities: now that I’ve seen ‘7’ it will take me at least a couple of weeks before I can bring myself to buy when there’s an ‘8’ in the first digit.  I’ve seen this happen to me every time the share price rises a ‘tens’ digit.  I doubt I’ll be able to bring myself to buy again in the near future even if the price rises for the next few days.

If it isn’t already obvious, I don’t have a personality at all suited to ‘trading’.

Signature

• Posted: 21 January 2009 07:41 PM #162

Anyone see or figure out the non-GAAP figures/percentages?

Posted: 21 January 2009 08:01 PM #163

greyfox - 21 January 2009 11:41 PM

Anyone see or figure out the non-GAAP figures/percentages?

The numbers are available on Apple investor relations.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/21results.html

• Posted: 21 January 2009 08:21 PM #164

Preview of idiotic commentary to come?  rolleyes

Signature

“A man who’s not a liberal when he’s twenty has no heart. A man who’s not a conservative when he’s 40 has no brain.” - Winston Churchill

• Posted: 21 January 2009 08:27 PM #165

deleted