AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 21 January 2009 03:41 PM #61

VIX back below 50.

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 21 January 2009 03:52 PM #62

Looks like the Bulls have taken it right back from the Bears. Now 818-820 becomes support. It will be very interesting to see how this ends up, especially if we close right inside that range.

That would be cool!

-erntheburn

Signature

Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
    -Wish you were here

Posted: 21 January 2009 03:54 PM #63

BAC trying very hard to break out above $6.00.

edit: There it goes.

Signature

-John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 21 January 2009 04:10 PM #64

Carbonat, I?m having great difficulty restraining myself from buying below $79.  I?ve already bought at 80.19 and 79.51?  I should probably wait for below 78.70.

I have the strongest feeling that the market is going to turn today or tomorrow, hence my anxiety to buy.  Of course, I don?t expect this to be long-term, I simply mean a multi-day rally akin to those we?ve seen since October.

I’m still kicking myself for not keeping my 78.51 order yesterday.  I did call the (short-term) bottom!  :devil:

And now we’re at 82…  [kicks himself once more]

Oh… there was this too: my limit order at 78.19.

Jah the panic at the end suggests tomorrow mightn?t be so lovely.

Edited: closed a cent short of my next limit order!

[ Edited: 21 January 2009 04:13 PM by Winterpool ]

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 21 January 2009 04:11 PM #65

ConMan - 21 January 2009 07:54 PM

Yes, Spank of Tramerica is on a bit of a roll!

The tribe has spoken!

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 21 January 2009 04:11 PM #66

erntheburn - 21 January 2009 07:08 PM
    $Billyall - 21 January 2009 07:01 PM

erntheburn wrote

At this point I don?t believe IBM earnings will have any affect on the markets. We?ve just broken through major support at the 817 level, and we did so with pretty convincing force. On top of that we just back-tested that former support and failed. So now it?s strong resistance.

The next level of support isn?t until 775. So, unless IBM has the power to overcome the entire market, I don?t hold too much hope. I think we may see another attempt at the new resistance, regardless of what IBM reports, and if it fails, then it?s the November Lows, Here We Come!

-ernie

Any second thoughts on IBM’s ability to help move the markets?

kinda like CSCO remember? wink

Well, no. Other than to reiterate that the level on the S&P which was once solid support (818-820) is now proving to be effective resistance.

-ernie

That level of resistance turned out to be not very effective, but Im sure it was just because we were oversold and for technical reasons. Probably had nothing at all to do with the $13 billion+ in market cap IBM added back today wink

• Posted: 21 January 2009 04:12 PM #67

Eric Landstrom - 21 January 2009 08:11 PM
    ConMan - 21 January 2009 07:54 PM

Yes, Spank of Tramerica is on a bit of a roll!

The tribe has spoken!

The CEO of BAC bought shares worth around 1,2mio - gave the stock a little boost!

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 21 January 2009 04:19 PM #68

Winterpool - 21 January 2009 08:10 PM

Carbonat, I?m having great difficulty restraining myself from buying below $79.  I?ve already bought at 80.19 and 79.51?  I should probably wait for below 78.70.

I have the strongest feeling that the market is going to turn today or tomorrow, hence my anxiety to buy.  Of course, I don?t expect this to be long-term, I simply mean a multi-day rally akin to those we?ve seen since October.

I’m still kicking myself for not keeping my 78.51 order yesterday.  I did call the (short-term) bottom!  :devil:

And now we’re at 82…  [kicks himself once more]

Oh… there was this too: my limit order at 78.19.

Jah the panic at the end suggests tomorrow mightn?t be so lovely.

Edited: closed a cent short of my next limit order!

Winterpool, if I was you, I’d stop beating yourself up over not buying AAPL yesterday…and instead…START beating yourself up over not buying BAC…up 33% today as I type. :wink:

Signature

-John Maynard Keynes

• Posted: 21 January 2009 04:20 PM #69

artman1033 - 21 January 2009 07:58 PM

FWIW: i just bought some QAABR the $90 AAPL Feb. calls @ $2.68 each.

I expect the GAAP earnings and especially the non GAAP earnings to cause AAPL to jump tomorrow.

I do too, but I fear it’s just ErntheBurn’s instinctual optimism that is influencing my own thinking on this.  I do hope AAPL punts on forward guidance.

[ Edited: 21 January 2009 04:29 PM by ByeTMO ]      

Posted: 21 January 2009 04:24 PM #70

Sold part of my yestesday buy (below $79) for $82.

I have set a stop loss for the rest of it at the buying price.

Posted: 21 January 2009 04:31 PM #71

carbonat - 21 January 2009 08:24 PM

Sold part of my yestesday buy (below $79) for $82.

I have set a stop loss for the rest of it at the buying price.

Not that I don’t believe that Apple will report strong earnings this night, but I secure my trade and I can benefit further of it if AAPL does indeed take off from here.

Posted: 21 January 2009 04:31 PM #72

ConMan, I wasn’t really looking at BAC, but I did consider buying a few thousand of C just for the hell of it.  And it’s up a respectable 25 per cent.

No, I didn’t buy C either, ha ha.

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 21 January 2009 04:44 PM #73

AAPL heading *again* $82. I won’t be surprised of a close in the neighbourhood $84 or more.

Hopefully, what Apple reports tonight will be well received in WS, and we can definitely say bye bye to this ridiculous AAPL prices

• Posted: 21 January 2009 04:46 PM #74

Wow…82.50
    added: mmmm weird… one would expect a late sell.

[ Edited: 21 January 2009 04:51 PM by MacB ]      

Posted: 21 January 2009 04:52 PM #75

Some optimism at play here?  We’ve recovered all of yesterdays losses and the rally is only picking up more steam volumewise.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.