iPhone Look-Alikes And Menstrual Relief Caplets

• Posted: 27 January 2009 01:36 AM

There’s a point here so please humor me:

It’s been an unseasonably warm winter in Southern California. In some places recent records have been set for the most consecutive January days with daytime temperatures reaching above 80 degrees. Consequently we’re seeing deciduous trees beginning to leaf and bloom. Remember, it’s January!

With the blooming trees comes lots of tree pollen which is causing difficulties for those of us with seasonal allergies.

I rose early this morning but spent just a few too many minutes doing Mac updates and getting an early read of posts in the AFB. Hastily gathering my stuff to race out the door to work, I went into the bathroom to get my regular OTC allergy medicine. Instead, in my rush to get to the car, I grabbed a bottle of menstrual relief caplets. Same-sized bottle, same-color bottle but obviously not what I wanted. Since it’s statistically remote a person of my gender might suffer the exact symptoms for which this mistaken bottle is marketed, I wondered why somebody in the household put this stuff on “my shelf.” With all the room in the medicine cabinet, it belonged on a different shelf. Besides, what might have happened is I mistakingly took the “wrong stuff”?

To my relief this evening, I checked the bottle of caplets. It contains acetaminophen, caffeine and some kind of diuretic. No permanent damage would have been done to the gender-specific aspects of my biology had I mistakenly swallowed a caplet. I wonder now why this kind of caplet is needed as an alternative to a couple of Tylenol caplets and a strong cup of coffee. Had I swallowed the wrong pill it wouldn’t have done any damage, but it would have done nothing for my allergies as well.

I just saw an advertisement for an iPhone look-alike. I wonder how many people are buying one of these rip-offs in haste thinking it’s like an iPhone or simply haven’t looked at all of the details to realize while it appears to come in similar packaging and almost similar size, it won’t do what’s expected - no real app store, less functionality and troublesome integration with other personal technology products.

While the iPhone rip-offs might not do any damage and buying one is rather benign, it won’t provide the relief from underwhelming cell phone products as desired. In other words, they are the wrong medicine. They belong on a different shelf than the iPhone. They belong on the same retail shelf as the other stuff I see in the medicine cabinet I don’t dare open or even want to describe.

Just a thought on this colder (finally!) winter night here in Southern California.

[ Edited: 27 January 2009 01:41 AM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 27 January 2009 09:14 AM #1

The “MOTHER OF ALL MOATS” seemed to be in the news yesterday.

January 27, 2009, 7:47 am
    Apple awarded iPhone patent

iPhone patent 2Tim Cook must have known.

One day before Apple?s acting CEO told Wall Street analysts that his company would not stand for having its intellectual property ?ripped off? ? a remark clearly aimed at certain iPhone-like features of the Palm Pre ? the U.S. Patent Office awarded Apple Patent No. No. 7479949.

This 358-page document, originally filed on Sept. 5, 2007, is the mother of all iPhone patents. Signed by 21 Apple (AAPL) employees ? starting with Jobs, Steven P. and Forestall, Scott ? it covers everything from the way a finger or fingers touch the screen to the heuristics that turn those touches into commands.

Other smartphones introduced since the iPhone came out have avoided using the multi-touch technology covered by this patent. The Palm Pre may have to have crossed the line. See Apple vs. Palm: Geeks with grudges.

Patents in the United States are enforced through civil lawsuits in Federal court. The patent holder will typically ask for monetary compensation and an injunction prohibiting further violations.

In order to prove infringement, the patent owner must establish that the accused infringer practices all of the requirements of at least one of the claims of the patent. The accused infringer has the right to challenge the validity of that patent, something Palm has already suggested it plans to do.

?If faced with legal action,? a Palm (PALM) spokesperson said last week, ?we are confident that we have the tools necessary to defend ourselves.?

Kudos to Alex Brooks of World of Apple for spotting the news.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition