Divide and Conquer

Posted: 27 January 2009 02:08 AM

Was reading reports today of RIMM’s SW glitches in the Storm handset and it made me question their strategy of competing w/ Apple on the touch-screen front.  Is this a wise pursuit at this point?

Sure RIMM is a force to be reckoned w/ in Smartphones.  But does this mean they should stray from their core competency in order to compete w/ Apple in the Touch Screen segment.  I’m not sure this is a wise plan considering their lackluster preparation.  From the reports I’ve read, they rushed the Storm to market and their APP store is not exactly offering up, would you say El Jefe, a plethora of applications.

It seems as though the Smartphone market will more than likely be divided amongst various players rather than being dominated by one.  If this turns out to be the case, in my mind, it seems RIMM would be better served to focus solely on what they do well and concede the Touch Screen devices to Apple (and perhaps PALM, however the 358 page patent that was approved today for Apple might make things very interesting for PALM).

Many of you AFBers have said, and as Tim Cook re-iterated several times in the recent Con Call, the key is SW. The key is also developers creating for the iPhone platform. I wonder if RIMM truly understood this or if they thought/think email use would carry them through the next few years.

My long-winded point is I believe AAPL’s ingenuity has lured RIMM into fighting the smartphone battle on several fronts and split up their resources.  Those Storm R&D Canadian Dollars could have been better spent creating a more enticing APP store (for instance).  In the meanwhile AAPL is busy focusing and honing in on one individual iPhone.  Like Colbert says, write one book so good that you don’t have to write another.  In the case of RIMM, by trying to fight several different battles for smartphone market share they are spreading themselves thin and creating an opportunity for Apple.  I think in the long run they will do more harm to themselves than if they conceded this particular segment of the market to Apple. I see room for both to do well and thrive.

Focus on what you do well and do it the best like Tim Cook said (BTW, I’ve listened to that con-call four times now…he impresses me more each time I listen, we’re in good hands).

Signature

Mully

• Posted: 27 January 2009 02:15 AM #1

mbmullin - 27 January 2009 06:08 AM

Focus on what you do well and do it the best like Tim Cook said (BTW, I’ve listened to that con-call four times now…he impresses me more each time I listen, we’re in good hands).

Agreed.  grin

Posted: 27 January 2009 09:33 AM #2

mbmullin - 27 January 2009 06:08 AM

Was reading reports today of RIMM’s SW glitches in the Storm handset and it made me question their strategy of competing w/ Apple on the touch-screen front.  Is this a wise pursuit at this point?

Sure RIMM is a force to be reckoned w/ in Smartphones.  But does this mean they should stray from their core competency in order to compete w/ Apple in the Touch Screen segment.

I’ve been slowly reading a book called, “The 33 Strategies of War.” One of the strategies talked about is the of idea of maneuvering an opponent into weakness. (This strategy was deployed often by Ghengis Khan)  In any case, this is what Apple has done in the cell phone arena. It found a small niche that was undeveloped, touchscreen phones, and after much preparation entered it with strength. At the time there was no competition in that niche market. Now everybody else, (LG, RIMM, NOKIA)  feeling a threat to their established strongholds feel the need to attack and defend. But they have no strength in that niche and their rushed attempts are proving to be second rate.  This unfortunately drains those companies of money from their core strengths and creates a societal perception that their core products may not be as good as once believed.  Apple Inc. has simply shown better corporate strategy.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 27 January 2009 10:24 AM #3

Focus on what you do well and do it the best like Tim Cook said

When you turn the eye piece to focus your scope or binoculars, that hazy view comes clear and objects and details appear that were invisible. I see Tim Cook and Apple continuing to turn that eyepiece. Apple’s focus is dynamic .

• Posted: 27 January 2009 10:27 AM #4

Play Ultimate - 27 January 2009 01:33 PM

But they have no strength in that niche and their rushed attempts are proving to be second rate.  This unfortunately drains those companies of money from their core strengths and creates a societal perception that their core products may not be as good as once believed.  Apple Inc. has simply shown better corporate strategy.

That’s the trap. smile