AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 28 January 2009 06:08 PM

Oops, I think ConMan and I are off a day on the AMZN earnings. They report tomorrow. I was wondering what was going on?  :dunce:

Hmmmm, this was part of the reason I took out the RIMM short near the close. Now Mr. Market will probably take RIMM up to $60 tomorrow before dropping it on it’s head. Oh well, until tomorrow, when we will possibly have a stimulus package to passed.

[ Edited: 01 February 2009 02:12 PM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 28 January 2009 06:17 PM #1

kiwitrader - 28 January 2009 10:08 PM

Oops, I think ConMan and I are off a day on the AMZN earnings. They report tomorrow. I was wondering what was going on?  :dunce:

Hmmmm, this was part of the reason I took out the RIMM short near the close. Now Mr. Market will probably take RIMM up to $60 tomorrow before dropping it on it’s head. Oh well, until tomorrow, when we will possibly have a stimulus package to passed.

Kiwi, I didn’t mean to mislead you…I knew that the AMZN earnings were after tomorrow’s close, I just lumped them in with all of my other market concerns for the remainder of the week. My apologies.

edit: I just saw my 11:07am post that said “AMZN reports after the close today…” Wow, a slip of the tongue can make a big difference can’t it?!! So sorry Kiwi (and anyone else who might have made a move today based on that inaccurate info).  :bugeyed:

[ Edited: 28 January 2009 06:20 PM by ConMan ]

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 28 January 2009 06:18 PM #2

kiwitrader - 28 January 2009 10:08 PM

With the not-so-good earnings after hours today and with a most likely depressing initial claims number and new housing numbers, you may be OK.  The one number I’m concerned about is new housing. There may be an upside surprise on that one like there was for existing homes earlier this week.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 28 January 2009 06:49 PM #3

Cramar, Mace,

From a TA perspective, 94.20 was a bullish close, right?  And note 30,8M isn’t great VOL but IS 40% higher than lately…bullish.

Cheers,

CF

Posted: 28 January 2009 07:06 PM #4

ConMan - 28 January 2009 10:17 PM

edit: I just saw my 11:07am post that said “AMZN reports after the close today…” Wow, a slip of the tongue can make a big difference can’t it?!! So sorry Kiwi (and anyone else who might have made a move today based on that inaccurate info).  :bugeyed:

No worries Connie. I had AMZN in my calender for tomorrow and should have double checked (done my DD!!!).

If it’s up pre-market I’ll just cover after the open on the inevitable little opening sell-off.

FYI, Durable Goods Order # tomorrow at 8:30 as well as those mentioned by Play Ult. (New Home Sales are at 10:00)

Edit:
    Just in from CNBC: Stimulus passed in The House of Rep’s. Not one yea vote from the Republican side, FWIW. Just mentioning it as it was reported that way, not starting a debate!

[ Edited: 28 January 2009 07:13 PM by kiwitrader ]      

Posted: 28 January 2009 07:08 PM #5

chiforce - 28 January 2009 10:49 PM

Cramar, Mace,

From a TA perspective, 94.20 was a bullish close, right?  And note 30,8M isn’t great VOL but IS 40% higher than lately…bullish.

Cheers,

CF

Should be long term, but due for a short-term reversal. $95 is a dangerous level. No wonder it stopped AAPL today.

Signature

“Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again.”    - Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 28 January 2009 07:39 PM #6

cramar - 28 January 2009 11:08 PM

Should be long term, but due for a short-term reversal. $95 is a dangerous level. No wonder it stopped AAPL today.

cramar-I don’t understand why 95 is a dangerous level.  I thought we want aapl to close about 95 to get out of the downtrend.  Please help me understand as I have been following the EW and aapl technical thread and thought we were looking for close about 95.  Thanks.

Posted: 28 January 2009 08:54 PM #7

House passed the stimulus bill.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 28 January 2009 09:20 PM #8

alice - 28 January 2009 11:39 PM
    cramar - 28 January 2009 11:08 PM

cramar-I don’t understand why 95 is a dangerous level.  I thought we want aapl to close about 95 to get out of the downtrend.  Please help me understand as I have been following the EW and aapl technical thread and thought we were looking for close about 95.  Thanks.

Because it is overdue for a correction short-term, because 95-97 is resistance from earlier in the month, because it has run up too far on low volume, because it has gone too far above the MAs without back testing, and because it has finally punched through the downtrend line going back to early Oct. so will probably drop back to it. Having said that we could see a run up to $100.

Don’t get so paranoid. This rally has ballz!

Signature

“Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again.”    - Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 29 January 2009 05:09 AM #9

It’s all quite simple really.

Anything can mean everything

Nothing can mean everything

Timing is everything.

Once you master these three, the world is yours.

Posted: 29 January 2009 08:45 AM #10

danthemason - 29 January 2009 09:09 AM

Timing is everything.

You’re up at 4am to tell us that!  LOL

Got lucky last night?  :wink:

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 29 January 2009 08:58 AM #11

macglenn - 29 January 2009 12:45 PM
    danthemason - 29 January 2009 09:09 AM

Timing is everything.

You’re up at 4am to tell us that!  LOL

Got lucky last night?  :wink:

bwaarrghhh… spare me the dirty details please…disgusting ROFL   wink

Posted: 29 January 2009 09:16 AM #12

cramar - 29 January 2009 01:20 AM

I’m not entirely sure how you justify that. From my perspective this was a relief rally based on the idea of a bad bank. The vote got passed but not without a lot of people who aren’t happy with it. This isn’t going to kickstart the economy any time soon. In the meantime results are still poor and people are still losing jobs.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 29 January 2009 09:29 AM #13

wheeles - 29 January 2009 01:16 PM

I’m not entirely sure how you justify that. From my perspective this was a relief rally based on the idea of a bad bank. The vote got passed but not without a lot of people who aren’t happy with it. This isn’t going to kickstart the economy any time soon. In the meantime results are still poor and people are still losing jobs.

Agree, we have a lot of pain coming before we see a bottom IMO. Job losses seem to be snowballing.

Posted: 29 January 2009 09:43 AM #14

wheeles - 29 January 2009 01:16 PM

The rally may last for awhile since employment is a lagging indicator.  However, I don’t see anything that will make this a fast recovery. Lots of money and asset valuation has been lost and will take time to replace.  And with consumer confidence in the toilet, a consumer based stimulus package will probably not have the intended effect.

Edit: OT AAPL is down about $0.90 in PM.  Initial claims appear to be in line with expectations. Durable Goods orders are down 2.2%. This, along with a rash of poor earnings, should point to a down start to the day.  However, in this market who can tell anymore.

[ Edited: 29 January 2009 09:46 AM by Play Ultimate ]

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 29 January 2009 10:17 AM #15

R4         104.07
      midpoint   102.32
    R3       100.57
      midpoint   98.82
    R2       97.07
      midpoint   96.35
    R1       95.63
      midpoint   94.60
    PP       93.57
      midpoint   92.85
    S1       92.13