AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 29 January 2009 10:17 AM #16

Play Ultimate - 29 January 2009 01:43 PM

[...AAPL is down about $0.90 in PM.  Initial claims appear to be in line with expectations. Durable Goods orders are down 2.2%. This, along with a rash of poor earnings, should point to a down start to the day.  However, in this market who can tell anymore.

Yes, down start for sure and let’s see what the market does with The New Home Sales numbers at 10:00. The Exisiting Home Sales number from Monday showed a 2 month drop in inventory and that made Mr. Market very happy. Let’s see what’s inside this report that gets the most media and market attention.

Not 100% sure on the timing of when the Senate is set to do their thing with the Economic Recovery Act. If it’s next week, then in my convoluted mind, that means Jan.‘s over here. Profits will be taken and the range on the indices reset for another attempt at a run next week in the new month.

And last but not least… AMZN earnings after the bell tonight.  LOL

• Posted: 29 January 2009 10:23 AM #17

you sure it’s today? wink

Posted: 29 January 2009 10:28 AM #18

MacB - 29 January 2009 02:23 PM

you sure it’s today? wink

Ah, beat me to it! Looks like your short from last night is working out so far Kiwi.

Posted: 29 January 2009 10:37 AM #19

grin  S&P showing some gumption at 860…

Edit: woopsie…

[ Edited: 29 January 2009 10:40 AM by kiwitrader ]      
  • Posted: 29 January 2009 10:44 AM #20

gee this is bloody scary…. holding/selling??? AAAARGGGHHHHHHH.

what about you guys and Kiwi?

Posted: 29 January 2009 10:48 AM #21

Have been looking for an entry point for the past few days, but the rally keeps steaming on.  Had hoped we might see short-term correction to 86 (instead broke through 90), then maybe 90 (instead we got nearly 95).  Mace seems to feel 97 is a critical point, in which case perhaps I should be happy to get in on a 92-93 price.  Dunno if I want to wait till 98 for clarity!

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 29 January 2009 10:53 AM #22

MacB - 29 January 2009 02:44 PM

Still out. . .waiting and watching. Market will probably show some early trepidation until New Home Sales at 10:00a.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 29 January 2009 10:56 AM #23

As I said yesterday, I’m out. Sold my position at $94.60. Though I consider myself a “long”...this market seems to only work being traded. Today and tomorrow’s data, mixed with my feeling that yesterday’s rally had quite a bit to do with “buying the rumor” on the House passing the stimulus, so I also anticipated a bit of “selling the news” today…all this has put me in the “weak hands” camp.  I’ll be looking for another entry point sometime next week…or if AMZN reports great #‘s and Friday’s GDP #‘s aren’t as bad as expected, then I just might initiate another position in AAPL sometime on Friday.

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 29 January 2009 11:02 AM #24

CNBC headline:

New-Home Sales Plunged 14.7% in December, Far More Than Expected

Signature

-John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 29 January 2009 11:04 AM #25

Makes sense; why buy a new home when you can get existing homes at bargain-basement (er, no pun intended?) prices?  Two months of existing inventory being liquidated in December worked against new homes, I suspect.

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

• Posted: 29 January 2009 11:10 AM #26

okay..i got trigger happy wink

Sold 75%.....let’s wait and see….

Posted: 29 January 2009 11:29 AM #27

Winterpool - 29 January 2009 03:04 PM

Makes sense; why buy a new home when you can get existing homes at bargain-basement (er, no pun intended?) prices?  Two months of existing inventory being liquidated in December worked against new homes, I suspect.

Existing landscaping is a big factor for some existing homeowners.
    Another concern is that most new homes are in developments that have some form of Homeowner’s Fee. If there are vacancies in that development, the costs get divided among those living there, which can be much higher than advertised.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 29 January 2009 11:36 AM #28

The way this is shaping up, I would not be surprised if we see 90 again.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 29 January 2009 11:41 AM #29

Sorry for the delay… Waiting for my ducks to line up, so I can sell the rest of my FLR (holding onto the rest of my FSLR) and buy SKF for a swing trade.

Still no aapl for me today, I’m waiting it out to see what happens next week when the new month begins and there is further details from.gov on you know what.

Probably will hold onto my RIMM short until tomorrow.

All this can change on a dime if the indices recover, which are always my compass.

Edit: also staying out of aapl on fear of the AMZN forward guidance tanking the NAZ tomorrow.

[ Edited: 29 January 2009 11:46 AM by kiwitrader ]      

Posted: 29 January 2009 11:46 AM #30

I can’t speak for all the financials, but BAC and WFC are significantly off their lows. Both had been down 8-9%, and have now cut those losses in half.

Signature

-John Maynard Keynes