AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 29 January 2009 11:59 AM #31

Okay….I sold and it goes up…figures. But somehow this seems fishy to me..I dont think it will hold…uncertainty rules these days.

Posted: 29 January 2009 12:04 PM #32

ConMan - 29 January 2009 03:46 PM

I can’t speak for all the financials, but BAC and WFC are significantly off their lows. Both had been down 8-9%, and have now cut those losses in half.

True. But IMHO, Gs rules the roost inside of this particular ETF and it’s barely off of it’s lows. I think Mr. Market could easily take GS back to $75 and until then, SKF will rise. Just my .02 though!!!

Posted: 29 January 2009 12:24 PM #33

I’d be wary of shorting AMZN. Short term a little iffy, but daily technicals look like they are poised for a large move up! Very similar to Dow. Maybe rising tide lifts all boats? I’ll put it on my watch list to consider a long-term position in AMZN.

Signature

“Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again.”    - Jesse Livermore

Posted: 29 January 2009 12:36 PM #34

cramar - 29 January 2009 04:24 PM

I’d be wary of shorting AMZN. Short term a little iffy, but daily technicals look like they are poised for a large move up! Very similar to Dow. Maybe rising tide lifts all boats? I’ll put it on my watch list to consider a long-term position in AMZN.

Mometum rules though. And all I have read and heard lately about AMZN is that the PE is too high. If their guidance and forecast for earnings don’t meet expectations, look out below! Here’s a sample:

Earnings Preview: Amazon likely to report in-line Q4, guide lower
    11:33 a.m. 01/28/2009   Provided By Fly On The Wall

Amazon.com (AMZN) is expected to report Q4 earnings Thursday, January 29, with a conference call scheduled for 5:00 pm ET. Analysts are looking for a profit of 39c on revenue of $6.44B. The consensus range is 30c-53c for EPS, and revenue of $6.13B-$6.96B, according to First Call. In October, Amazon forecast Q4 revenue $6B-$7B and FY08 revenue $18.46B-$19.46B vs. First Call consensus of $18.91B. While other retailers like Circuit City and Tiffany & Co (TIF) reported extremely disappointing holiday sales, it is important to note that Amazon declared this holiday season its best ever. Analysts believe the online retailer probably had to cut prices and eat into profits in order to keep traffic at higher levels during this period. Cowen & CO’s Jim Friedland believes management will not deviate from its strategy of share gains via lower prices during the downturn. which is likely to weigh on gross margins. American Technology believes Q4 results from the retailer will be in-line, though the company will guide below the Street due to severe margin pressure. Citigroup’s Mark Mahaney believes Q4 could be one of Amazon’s sharpest organic revenue growth deceleration quarters due to tough comps and the severe macro environment.

I have spent my AMZN short funds already today, and I will not be home later when they report. So I will just play it via holding my RIMM short overnight. UNLESS, the indices spark up later today as I will be here just until the market closes.

Posted: 29 January 2009 12:46 PM #35

Back on aapl: I’m very happy to see that AAPL is beating the you-know-what out of RIMM today! It looks as though (ATM anyways) that “they” are trying to use aapl to raise the S&P or at least stop it from losing 850.

Posted: 29 January 2009 01:25 PM #36

Hear that? It’s the sound of the best and brightest over at UBS mailing out their r?sum?s.  LOL

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 29 January 2009 02:03 PM #37

Eric Landstrom - 29 January 2009 05:25 PM

Hear that? It’s the sound of the best and brightest over at UBS mailing out their r?sum?s.  LOL

Where did you read that, Eric? They’ve already gutted Fixed Income. Which bits are under the axe now?

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 29 January 2009 02:06 PM #38

wheeles - 29 January 2009 06:03 PM

Where did you read that, Eric? They’ve already gutted Fixed Income. Which bits are under the axe now?

No bonuses and if UBS loses money, they get clawbacks.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 29 January 2009 02:14 PM #39

Eric Landstrom - 29 January 2009 06:06 PM
    wheeles - 29 January 2009 06:03 PM

No bonuses and if UBS loses money, they get clawbacks.

Sounds like a front office type deal. I can’t see that being the case for the various support staff. Mind you, the bonuses there aren’t exactly great anyway.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 29 January 2009 03:50 PM #40

Uhhmmm guys??? Kiwi?

Did the russians nuke the U.S???  it’s awefull quiet here….anybody out there??

Posted: 29 January 2009 03:57 PM #41

MacB - 29 January 2009 07:50 PM

Uhhmmm guys??? Kiwi?

Since I’m sitting on the sidelines, I’m trying to keep quiet.

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 29 January 2009 04:14 PM #42

MacB - 29 January 2009 07:50 PM

Uhhmmm guys??? Kiwi?

Well, since I’m not trading aapl today, I didn’t want to speak out of school too much. But around 1:00 the battle for S&P 850 was under way and I knew highlights of VP Biden’s interview was coming on, so I bailed on my SKF about 1:30.

Still holding onto my RIMM trade as it’s doing well, even with the llittle buy program that seems to have started at 2:00. I’m sticking with my thesis that AMZN will tank things for tomorrow. Also, tomorrow’s the last day of the month, so I figure the market’s like, “why bother running things up on the indices?”

Although I might live to regret thinking this in a few minutes with Obama and Geithner coming up with comments…

[ Edited: 29 January 2009 04:17 PM by kiwitrader ]      
  • Posted: 29 January 2009 04:32 PM #43

thank god you all are still alive….. wink

[ Edited: 29 January 2009 04:35 PM by MacB ]      

Posted: 29 January 2009 04:36 PM #44

Holy smokes. Looks like everything is breaking down. Watch those banks!

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 29 January 2009 04:40 PM #45

Fear of the GDP numbers tomorrow?!? :-?

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale