Missed Opportunity - Nobody Reads Anymore

Posted: 06 May 2009 05:20 PM #31

Mace - 06 May 2009 04:50 PM
    artman1033 - 10 February 2009 12:11 AM

... Apple does not need to make a netbook, or a kindling copy or NANO Iphone for that matter.

Why?  Just add 3G wireless capability to MBAs?

Or add a LID to the KINDLE DX?

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 11 May 2009 08:01 PM #32

Amazon’s new iPhone Kindle Store circumvents Apple’s 30 percent cut
    Mon, 05/11/2009 - 11:01 ? Seth Weintraub

Amazon today released their new iPhone Kindle Store Application.  The App seems to circumvent Apple’s 30% cut of the store proceeds by making the purchase through a Web browser interface and having the purchase be delivered on the backend directly to Amazon’s App.  Will Apple let this stand?  Will other large product and service distributors follow suit?

An interesting alternative for publishers and authors who want to be on the iPhone is the Iceberg Reader by Scrollmotion.  This company takes a digital book and makes an application out of it.  At the end of the process the publisher pays about the same amount to get a book on the App Store, but pays Scrollmotion and Apple instead of Amazon.  Since each book is its own app, the authors have more flexibility in producing the book.app as well as in pricing and updating.

It will be interesting to see how Apple responds to the book apps situation.  Steve Jobs famously said that people don’t read anymore, that’s why Apple won’t build an eBook reader.

Posted: 16 June 2009 10:21 AM #33

It is amazing to me that there is so much demand for a b&w reader. If Apple made a color version (with MacBook Pro quality screen), OS X, and other unique Apple features, would not the demand be far greater and kill the Kindle? Why would someone be content to read an electronic b&w newspaper when the media can offer photo-quality full color newspapers and magazines? This should be the wave of the future?not e-papers in b&w.

E-Ink’s ‘big’ Kindle sells out quickly

Signature

“Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again.”    - Jesse Livermore

Posted: 16 June 2009 10:32 AM #34

cramar - 16 June 2009 01:21 PM

It is amazing to me that there is so much demand for a b&w reader. If Apple made a color version (with MacBook Pro quality screen), OS X, and other unique Apple features, would not the demand be far greater and kill the Kindle? Why would someone be content to read an electronic b&w newspaper when the media can offer photo-quality full color newspapers and magazines? This should be the wave of the future?not e-papers in b&w.

E-Ink’s ‘big’ Kindle sells out quickly

I got my new Kindle DX, the big one, last friday.

Sure it is BW but that is because you get DAYS AND DAYS of use out of ONE CHARGING.

I took a lot of heat here from my fellow Applonians over my support of this device.

Sure Apple could most likely do it better. But Right NOW, Amazon AMZN is delivering over 30% of its massive book sales via electronic delivery to the Kindle line.

I lay this one right at the feet of S Jobs, he is a California lotus eater and certified greenie. They continually assume that everyone is like them, or wants BE THEM.

However, look at the profits that AAPL has garnered with only 10% of the computer markets, and 12% of the mobile smartphone markets.

On can, and WILL make a great deal of money, finding out the fanatics about anything, such as reading, and giving them what they want, and sewing up the markets and going for dominance.

AMZN has done a masterful job of doing both.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition