Disturbing article by Robert X. Cringely

Posted: 22 February 2009 03:58 PM

Excerpt:

A friend of mine has for years been one of Steve Jobs? Internet chat buddies.  And as such his chat client has ? again for years ? shown as Steve came online each day and remained there for hours and hours as you?d expect a Silicon Valley mogul to do.  And it?s a trend that continued well past Jobs? announcement that he was taking a six-month leave of absence to get well.  But then Steve started logging-on less and less.  And several weeks ago he stopped logging-on at all.
    Silence.

Full article:

Where is Steve?

• Posted: 22 February 2009 04:41 PM #1

carbonat - 22 February 2009 07:58 PM

Excerpt:

A friend of mine has for years been one of Steve Jobs? Internet chat buddies.  And as such his chat client has ? again for years ? shown as Steve came online each day and remained there for hours and hours as you?d expect a Silicon Valley mogul to do.  And it?s a trend that continued well past Jobs? announcement that he was taking a six-month leave of absence to get well.  But then Steve started logging-on less and less.  And several weeks ago he stopped logging-on at all.
    Silence.

Full article:

Where is Steve?

Must be an exceptionally slow “news” month.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 22 February 2009 06:26 PM #2

Where is Steve?

Immersed in solving a personal health problem which is why he took a leave from Apple as well.  A man of his talent knows one thing and that is when confronted with a problem to put every ounce of energy, drive and motivation into fixing it.  Now imagine taking that problem to the extreme of his health.  I’d say he’s focused doing what Steve does best, problem solving.

Signature

NOBAMA / Carter 2012 - “Yes we can - we just figured out a way - it’s called the American deem”

Posted: 22 February 2009 07:59 PM #3

Where is Steve?

Hanging out with Wally.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 22 February 2009 11:40 PM #4

Here’s some commentary by PED on Cringely’s article:

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/02/22/report-steve-jobs-has-logged-off/

Posted: 23 February 2009 01:43 PM #5

Hanging out with Wally.

Didn’t you mean Waldo?  grin

Anyway, I think this is just another shallow attempt by Cringley to grab some headlines. What does he call himself - a slut for the highest bidder?

Seriously - his whole basis is the one friend whispering in his ear about Jobs not being available to him as normal. So what? That’s one person, out of dozens - if not hundreds of folks that Jobs most likely has in his chat list. The hypothesis that Cringley later attempted to counter was that his article was “well researched”. How the hell could you verify whether or not Steve Jobs just decided to delete the guy from his list, or simply turn his invisibility mode on?

Cringley does not deserve the hit counts for this tripe. Please, please folks… use some common sense. Don’t even bother clinking on links that point to his site.

Posted: 23 February 2009 02:17 PM #6

xmattingly - 23 February 2009 05:43 PM

Hanging out with Wally.

Didn’t you mean Waldo?  grin

In the UK, Waldo is known as Wally.

This story is just the sort of thing that really irks me about trading AAPL. It comes just as the stock starts to make a move up. At the open almost everything on all my watchlists was green apart from AAPL. However, heavy selling of AAPL hit the S&P and managed to drag everything else down. The only thing that people could point to at the time was this BS from Cringely hinting that SJ must be about to die because he’s not on chat.

So, who exactly was this source of Cringely’s? Without anyone standing up and saying it themselves rather than channelling it through this ****er, this is nothing but a BS made-up load of FUD designed to drag AAPL down. We know that Cringely has an axe to grind against SJ, so was likely happy to print it.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 23 February 2009 02:38 PM #7

Excerpt:

Silence.

Full article:

Where is Steve?

I’ve been Skyping with several AFBers ever since Josesenei suggested we try out Skype. But today, most of them haven’t been available. Silence.

They must all be off building moats on their islands with high walls using sustainable materials and renewable energy sources or something.  LOL

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 23 February 2009 07:51 PM #8

In the UK, Waldo is known as Wally.

The only thing that people could point to at the time was this BS from Cringely hinting that SJ must be about to die because he’s not on chat.

I’ll be darned - I never knew about the UK “Wally” moniker. Well, for what it’s worth, here in the U.S. Harry Potter isn’t called “Harold”, so there’s at least one franchise that crossed the pond intact.  :-D

Yep, Cringley is definitely an opportunist, no better than John Dvorak. “To hell with fair and honest reporting, I just left PBS and am on my own, so I need to write something shocking to draw people to my site… Apple shares be damned.” On another note: has this jackass ever heard of vacation?

For my two cents, I do not believe that Jobs is nearing death. This latest bit is at best circumstantial if there’s even a shred of truth to it, and it’s completely pointless to waste time speculating. We’ll know how Steve is when he returns to Apple, or an announcement is made.

Posted: 23 February 2009 08:16 PM #9

It looks like the action in AAPL was more down to analysts lowering expectations of the PC sector than Cringely.

However, I still think such pieces are completely lacking in any integrity. Jobs took a break from Apple to try to overcome what is ailing him and get out of the spotlight, yet the likes of Cringely cannot accept this, won’t leave Jobs alone, and still publishes this garbage. It’s quite possible that as part of focusing on his health, Jobs only chats to his senior staff. He may have been told to take a break from even that. We simply don’t know and deducing anything from him not being on chat is pure speculation.

Purely out of interest, has Cringely ever been correct in any of his blog posts? I can’t remember any occasion that sticks in my mind.

Signature

• Posted: 23 February 2009 09:12 PM #10

Cringely? You really should put that in the part of the story that makes the feed so I know not to waste my time with a click on a story generated by something that ass-clown wrote.

Signature

Joe Bush, III
    ———————-
    A is A

Posted: 23 February 2009 10:22 PM #11

Eric Landstrom - 23 February 2009 06:38 PM

I’ve been Skyping with several AFBers ever since Josesenei suggested we try out Skype. But today, most of them haven’t been available. Silence. :

“I’m not dead yet. I’m really feeling MUCH better.”

I’m here. I’m here.

Jose

Posted: 23 February 2009 10:31 PM #12

josesensei - 24 February 2009 02:22 AM
    Eric Landstrom - 23 February 2009 06:38 PM

I’ve been Skyping with several AFBers ever since Josesenei suggested we try out Skype. But today, most of them haven’t been available. Silence. :

“I’m not dead yet. I’m really feeling MUCH better.”

I’m here. I’m here.

Jose

lol

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 24 February 2009 02:34 AM #13

Cringely, as of right now, is being pure opportunist scum.  I used to do instant messaging quite regularly some time ago…until I didn’t.

Hm…well if I’m typing, I guess I must still be on this mortal coil.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 24 February 2009 08:14 PM #14

I don’t know how Steve would resist the urge to drop some bombs as soon as he is healthy.  If I was him, when I came back I would hld a 3 hour event.  I would unveil everything I had. iPhone 2, Tablet PC, TV with built in aTV, The Apple Car, etc.  It would outline Apple’s position for the next 5 years.