Love a Good Rumor

• Posted: 24 February 2009 06:53 AM

Apple to Verizon: Can You Hear Me Now? Maybe.
    February 24, 2009
    by MG Siegler
    Technology Writer, VentureBeat Print Yahoo! BuzzShareSphere

Before it settled on AT&T as the carrier for the iPhone in the United States, Apple shopped the phone to Verizon Wireless and was shot down. It?s thought that Verizon didn?t want to make the concessions (including ceding a lot of control) to Apple which AT&T ended up doing. Of course, the mobile landscape was very different at the time, and now it?s hard to argue that the iPhone hasn?t changed things significantly. So it wouldn?t be a surprise if Verizon wanted another shot at the iPhone. And if a new rumor coming out of Italy is true, it may get that shot.

The report, by ITExaminer.com, claims to have ?deep throats? in Apple saying that iPhones for Verizon Wireless will be announced ?soon.? It goes on to say the deal is so secret that Apple isn?t talking about it at all and has been trying to hide job postings for EVDO and CDMA engineers ? two cellular technologies that Verizon Wireless uses but AT&T does not.

It might cause a few revisions in iPhone projections.

Posted: 24 February 2009 08:24 AM #1

danthemason - 24 February 2009 10:53 AM

February 24, 2009
    by MG Siegler
    Technology Writer, VentureBeat Print Yahoo! BuzzShareSphere
    <...snip>
    The report, by ITExaminer.com, claims to have ?deep throats? in Apple saying that iPhones for Verizon Wireless will be announced ?soon.? It goes on to say the deal is so secret that Apple isn?t talking about it at all and has been trying to hide job postings for EVDO and CDMA engineers ? two cellular technologies that Verizon Wireless uses but AT&T does not.
    <snip…>

I think, but I am not sure, that the 3G implementation of AT&T and that of Verizon are incompatible, and a phone that can be used for one network is would not work if used on the other. Therefore there would need to be two sets of iPhones available, one for AT&T, and another for Verizon: a marketing and logistical nightmare. On top, there is a disadvantage to using Verizon because their implementation of the 3G works only in the US or North America, therefore making the iPhone use only it’s GSM connection elsewhere. Given how little Americans travel outside of the US, it may not be a big deal…

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 24 February 2009 09:10 AM #2

awcabot - 24 February 2009 12:24 PM
    danthemason - 24 February 2009 10:53 AM

<...snip>
    It goes on to say the deal is so secret that Apple isn?t talking about it at all and has been trying to hide job postings for EVDO and CDMA engineers ? two cellular technologies that Verizon Wireless uses but AT&T does not.
    <snip…>

I think, but I am not sure, that the 3G implementation of AT&T and that of Verizon are incompatible, and a phone that can be used for one network is would not work if used on the other. Given how little Americans travel outside of the US, it may not be a big deal…

I think that is why they are saying that they require EVDO and CDMA engineers. And America seems to be the biggest market currently for the iPhone.

Signature

Posted: 24 February 2009 10:19 AM #3

It would be a lot more logical in 2010 when Verizon rolls out their LTE network.  Both ATT and Verizon have picked LTE as their 4G network standard Sprint is using WIMAX, so Apple can build a single device to support both major carriers.  I wouldn’t bet on it happening in 2009.  My understanding is ATT renewed their exclusive deal with Apple

This is from Engadget
    AT&T iPhone exclusivity extended to 2010?
    by Nilay Patel, posted Aug 1st 2008 at 6:08PM

Apple’s deal with AT&T obviously got re-done in order to get the iPhone 3G on the street for a subsidized $199, but it looks like Steve gave in on a little more than revenue-sharing when he re-upped with Ma Bell: USA Today says that AT&T’s US exclusive on the iPhone has been extended for an additional year, until 2010. The extension isn’t officially announced, but it’s being cited in the context of a long interview with AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson, who’s quoted as saying things like “The iPhone has repositioned AT&T as the premier wireless brand in the world.” So yeah, dude’s a fan—and with iPhone customers spending almost double on rate plans than the average AT&T customer, it’s not hard to see why. Looks like our dream of glorious data plan price wars will have to wait until Android makes a splash later this year.

Pat

• Posted: 24 February 2009 10:37 AM #4

Wasn’t the original ATT deal for five years?

• Posted: 24 February 2009 03:10 PM #5

willrob - 24 February 2009 02:37 PM

Wasn’t the original ATT deal for five years?

Yes.  And I don’t think it is a secret that a year was added.  So by my math, the U.S. exclusive for AT&T has another 4+ years to run.

But we don’t know all the contract provisions.  There could be buyouts or other options/contingencies/exceptions in the agreement.  My own judgment is that AT&T will be the only U.S. carrier with iPhone for a long time to come.