Safari 4.0 beta

Posted: 25 February 2009 07:18 PM #31

Where is snapback? Or are we supposed to use the expose thingy?

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 25 February 2009 08:20 PM #32

Intruder - 25 February 2009 11:18 PM

Where is snapback? Or are we supposed to use the expose thingy?

Did many people really use it? I know I didn’t.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 25 February 2009 08:46 PM #33

iBill - 25 February 2009 08:56 PM

Not only does the overall performance seem alot better, I think the memory leak problems have been addressed as well. I’ve been using it since yesterday and haven’t had to force quit yet. With version 3, I had to force quit Safari almost daily.

Usually have problems about midday with Safari 3 and today with 4.
    A few websites are loading very slowly. Sent bug report and figure they’ll take care of it.  So far,except for relearning where everything is, it runs much better. 
    Trying to get used to the favorites screen.

edit: BTW, just discovered that the little ‘+’ sign in the top right creates a new tab and goes directly to the “Top Sites” screen. Kinda nice.

[ Edited: 25 February 2009 08:50 PM by Play Ultimate ]

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 25 February 2009 11:00 PM #34

climbforever - 25 February 2009 03:00 PM

..and you can get the old blue progressline instead of the spinning wheel by entering these two commands in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeToolbarRedesign -bool NO
    defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4LoadProgressStyle -bool NO
    tongue laugh

Thanks Climbforever, worked like a charm. With the blue progress bar back, I can really see just how much faster this 4 is over 3. I did have to go into the Customize Toolbar tab to add the Reload/Stop Loading Page button back to the toolbar, which I prefer. Big improvement.  grin

:apple:

• Posted: 25 February 2009 11:52 PM #35

My sentiments exactly. I love the tabs on top. That is where you find them when looking through a cabinet. It makes use of wasted space. I, however, do prefer the blue progress bar.

grady15 - 25 February 2009 04:02 PM

I really really like it. I have been using google chrome on the pc side for a while so i really like the tabs on top. It is really fast and clean interface i do want the blue progress bar back however i think it is a bug not to have it…apples site mentions it in the features page.

• Posted: 26 February 2009 12:45 PM #36

I really am happy with the new beta, i think the move putting the tabs at the top is genius even if Google thought of it first.  It takes wasted space and uses it while giving you more screen real estate.  I did however switch back to the old progress bar and stop/reload button.  The windows version still runs a little slow for me.  I also made a video walk through on some of the new features on my blog http://thecheapgeek.org

Posted: 26 February 2009 06:12 PM #37

I cannot for the life of me find the Cover Flow features, nor the Top Sites.  I really want to check these out and perhaps switch over from Chrome.

I’m on WinXP.  There’s probably my first mistake smile

The instructions http://www.apple.com/safari/whats-new.html say “Whenever you want to return to your ever-evolving Top Sites page, just click the new Top Sites button in the bookmarks bar.” But there is no such button.

Checked in preferences and all menus, etc., and see no mention of Top Sites or Cover Flow. Double checked Safari Version is 4 Public Beta (528.16)

No references of Top Sites or Cover Flow search phrases in Safari Help either.  It’s like these features are not even there.

What gives?!?!

Signature

It’s not about what the iPhone does- after you’ve recognized what it’s done, then you will understand that it’s really about what it will do.

• Posted: 26 February 2009 06:51 PM #38

AAPLaDAY - 26 February 2009 10:12 PM

I cannot for the life of me find the Cover Flow features, nor the Top Sites.  I really want to check these out and perhaps switch over from Chrome.

The instructions http://www.apple.com/safari/whats-new.html say “Whenever you want to return to your ever-evolving Top Sites page, just click the new Top Sites button in the bookmarks bar.” But there is no such button.

On my Mac the topsite button is just to the right of the bookmark icon and is represented by 16 very small squares.

And I have a question.  How does one add a specific URL to the topsite grid?  Safari has done an OK job of picking the default sites, but I’d like to replace a few with my choices.

Posted: 26 February 2009 08:05 PM #39

capablanca - 26 February 2009 10:51 PM

On my Mac the topsite button is just to the right of the bookmark icon and is represented by 16 very small squares.

Hmmm…. well, lets see.

No bookmark button:

No “Top Sites” under history drop down:

and, not even entries under Help for the search term ‘Top Sites’:

well… sounds cool, but so far I’ve got nothin!

Signature

It’s not about what the iPhone does- after you’ve recognized what it’s done, then you will understand that it’s really about what it will do.

Posted: 26 February 2009 08:40 PM #40

AAPLaDAY - 27 February 2009 12:05 AM

Hmmm…. well, lets see.

No bookmark button:

Please crop or re-size so we don’t have to scroll horizontally into the wall to read all the posts above?

Thanks

[ Edited: 26 February 2009 08:42 PM by awcabot ]

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 27 February 2009 12:08 AM #41

I think you may be using a non graphics accelerated pc so it doesn’t work. Maybe it’s time to upgrade your pc… to a Mac?

Signature

Posted: 27 February 2009 08:14 AM #42

jHodgeman - 26 February 2009 10:12 PM

Mr PC, get a Mac.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 27 February 2009 09:28 AM #43

jHodgeman - 27 February 2009 12:05 AM

Hmmm…. well, lets see.

No bookmark button:

The bookmark button is the little plus button.  As far as top sites you can add them via the via Safari> Preferences > Bookmarks Select Include Top Sites

Disregard my suggestion I didn’t realize you were using Windoze.  Not enough coffee :wink:

[ Edited: 27 February 2009 09:33 AM by pats ]      

Posted: 27 February 2009 04:56 PM #44

Was wondering if there are any Ad blocking features ala Saft in Beta 4?
    Am still using Tiger and love Saft, but so far only the Leopard Vs has been updated…..
    so am holding off for the time being.

Signature

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company…

Posted: 27 February 2009 06:26 PM #45

For the more adventurous I found this little trick on the web.  It replaces the NIB file with a modified NIB which enables some hidden features via the safari pulldown menu.  Directions can be found here

Have fun grin