Safari 4.0 beta

Posted: 27 February 2009 10:58 PM #46

pats - 27 February 2009 10:26 PM

For the more adventurous I found this little trick on the web.  It replaces the NIB file with a modified NIB which enables some hidden features via the safari pulldown menu.  Directions can be found here

Have fun grin

The Transparent Window Tweak is cool, but hard to adjust to. Overall, it’s great.  grin

:apple:

Posted: 28 February 2009 03:51 PM #47

tabs on bottom

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool NO

Posted: 03 March 2009 04:24 PM #48

Am still trying it out, moved the Tabs back to where they were in 3.
    I found with Hulu i had to uncheck animation in Saft this was different then in 3.
    also noticed it took a while before i could use cover flow with the mighty mouse.
    am using a dual 2.0 GHz G5 with lots o RAM

Signature

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company…

Posted: 04 March 2009 06:09 AM #49

I got a complete lockup of my machine yesterday which I think can be attributed to Safari 4. Much that I like the the Top Sites page (I rarely use bookmarks as a result of having that), I am considering uninstalling it also. Safari 4 seems just a little too far off production quality.

Is this something SJ would have stopped going out if he was around?

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 04 March 2009 09:42 AM #50

Am finding that if I try and add something to top sites by opening another window and trying to drag a url onto the top sites page safari will lock-up requiring a forced quit.

Signature

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company…

Posted: 04 March 2009 09:49 AM #51

I have not personally experienced the experiences of lock-up as others have.  It has taken a little getting used to with the tabs on top. The Top Site and History eye-candy are unnecessary, but do look nice.  I do like the ‘+’ sign on the right to add a new tab.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 04 March 2009 10:11 AM #52

Has been very stable for me but just this past week I reformatted the HD and started from scratch (much happier Mac now) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Personally the tabs on top is weird. From a UI experience it’s actually counterintuitive in that the hierarchy of information goes from 1. browser, 2. bookmark 3. tabs of bookmark.  Putting the tabs on top puts Number 3 on top and separates the content from what it’s associated with.. It is a good use of real estate though.

Posted: 04 March 2009 10:15 AM #53

BTW, I really like the Top Sites/history feature. Use it all the time, I’m constantly doing research and the history feature makes it much easier to find pages.

Wonder if there’s a way to modify the Top Sites? I’d like to lock down 10-12 sites.

Posted: 04 March 2009 10:18 AM #54

ChasMac77 - 04 March 2009 02:15 PM

Wonder if there’s a way to modify the Top Sites? I’d like to lock down 10-12 sites.

Click on the Edit button on the lower left. Move to the locations desired, click on the push pin.  That should lock them in place.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 05 March 2009 02:36 PM #55

Mossberg reviews Safari 4 Beta. No mention of bugs or crashes. Surprising.

New Safari Browser Succeeds at Speed, Flops on Features

Signature

“Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again.”    - Jesse Livermore

Posted: 05 March 2009 02:46 PM #56

cramar - 05 March 2009 06:36 PM

Mossberg reviews Safari 4 Beta. No mention of bugs or crashes. Surprising.

New Safari Browser Succeeds at Speed, Flops on Features

The video is worth watching just to hear Walt say “It’s wicked fast.”  tongue laugh :wink:

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 05 March 2009 03:54 PM #57

Play Ultimate - 04 March 2009 02:18 PM

Click on the Edit button on the lower left. Move to the locations desired, click on the push pin.  That should lock them in place.

This is something I have been unsuccessfully trying to do: select my own favorites at will and lock them in.  Anyone know how to do this or do you just have to wait until a site pops up in the favorites and then push pin it?

• Posted: 05 March 2009 03:57 PM #58

Bryanyc - 05 March 2009 07:54 PM

This is something I have been unsuccessfully trying to do: select my own favorites at will and lock them in.  Anyone know how to do this or do you just have to wait until a site pops up in the favorites and then push pin it?

you can edit the plist file directly if you are feeling brave - to quote directly from Jon Gruber, yesterday:

the list of top sites is stored in a plist file at ~/Library/Safari/TopSites.plist; you can edit it by hand when Safari isn?t running.)

Signature

Posted: 05 March 2009 04:29 PM #59

Bryanyc - 05 March 2009 07:54 PM

I got into a discussion with my dad on this very issue. My thinking is that the “Top Sites” page was not designed to be utilized in lieu of Bookmarks. However, I can see them changing it for that purpose if enough people request it.

Signature