midpoint   85.61
    S3       83.77
      midpoint   81.94
    S4       80.10

[ Edited: 01 March 2009 06:19 PM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 26 February 2009 01:46 AM #1

ConMan - 26 February 2009 01:34 AM

FWIW, Macke likes AAPL again.

Macke has a fairly impressive record when it comes to Apple trading this year.  Not only have his buy recommendations been well timed, he also advised on 9 February to get out (closed at 102.51 on the 9th, 97.06 on the 10th).

I didn’t watch this Fast Money segment; did any of the panellists back Toni in thinking Dell a buy, even for the longer term?

On the other hand, besides Dell, there’s a nice range of lovely data we could receive tomorrow.  It’s hard to envisage much positive coming from jobless claims, durable goods, a bank, retailer, Dell, and GM.  But I suppose they could always report ‘not quite as horrid as we anticipated’.

It’s interesting that Macke is pro-AAPL given the sort of day we might have tomorrow.  Though AAPL was comparatively quite strong much of today.

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

• Posted: 26 February 2009 01:56 AM #2

Plato - 25 February 2009 10:33 PM

Tony the tool defending DELL - it’s a buy!!! Hilarious!

But at least he praises AAPL as well as a buy.

DELL PPS is plumbing the depths, maybe he has a point.  But I sure couldn’t get interested in it.

• Posted: 26 February 2009 03:39 AM #3

Mercel - 26 February 2009 05:56 AM

DELL PPS is plumbing the depths, maybe he has a point.  But I sure couldn’t get interested in it.

Dell reports tomorrow. It will take artistry to paint a happy face on the numbers.

• Posted: 26 February 2009 09:00 AM #4

Toni thought Dell was a buy for the long term, not near term.

on topic, aapl up a buck in pre-market.

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

• Posted: 26 February 2009 09:19 AM #5

DawnTreader - 26 February 2009 07:39 AM
    Mercel - 26 February 2009 05:56 AM

Dell reports tomorrow. It will take artistry to paint a happy face on the numbers.

I agree - they are loosing market shares by the minute despite their lowering the prices every period. Dell’s new business model has absolutely failed. I just hope their earnings are decent and won’t pull us down with them tomorrow.
    But at $8 a share, WS might even react positive despite a slight disappointment in earnings.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

• Posted: 26 February 2009 09:42 AM #6

Jobless claims at 675000 - ouch

Guess we won’t be getting any help from that number yet

Edit: - actual number is 667,000 - still ouch

[ Edited: 26 February 2009 10:15 AM by HunterBob ]      
  • Posted: 26 February 2009 10:34 AM #7

Just think, if you put all your eggs in the BAC basket a few days ago, you would have doubled your eggs. And with Easter right around the corner!

Posted: 26 February 2009 10:44 AM #8

FYI:  New Home Sales at 10a. Market seems to be waiting for that number.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 26 February 2009 10:53 AM #9

I don’t understand why the market cares about new home sales anymore.  Sales are poor, hurrah.  I should think the critical thing is sales of existing homes, clearing the massive inventory.

Any reason for the opening AAPL drop, other than giving Macke more buying opportunities?  I left my screen for a bit, perhaps should have picked up some shares < $91.

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 26 February 2009 11:02 AM #10

Obama says he’s going to aggressively redistribute wealth.  :-(

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 26 February 2009 11:03 AM #11

Winterpool - 26 February 2009 02:53 PM

Any reason for the opening AAPL drop, other than giving Macke more buying opportunities?  I left my screen for a bit, perhaps should have picked up some shares < $91.

I figured it was just to close the small gap up at the open.

Posted: 26 February 2009 11:04 AM #12

Eric, do you mean the reduction of many deductions for higher-incomer earners?

I’m more concerned what wackiness like taxing securities trades might actually get serious consideration.

Signature

Posted: 26 February 2009 11:04 AM #13

Winterpool - 26 February 2009 02:53 PM

I don’t understand why the market cares about new home sales anymore.  Sales are poor, hurrah.  I should think the critical thing is sales of existing homes, clearing the massive inventory.

Because the history of capitalism shows that people leverage property to gain prosperity.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

• Posted: 26 February 2009 11:09 AM #14

Eric Landstrom - 26 February 2009 03:02 PM

Obama says he’s going to aggressively redistribute wealth.  :-(

Alright to save the government some administrative costs- why don’t I just give you my account number and you can transfer, let’s say $100,000!
    That will take of your share or redistribution!  tongue laugh

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 26 February 2009 11:14 AM #15

Winterpool - 26 February 2009 03:04 PM

Eric, do you mean the reduction of many deductions for higher-incomer earners?

I’m more concerned what wackiness like taxing securities trades might actually get serious consideration.

The man’s budget is three trillions dollars. I think that it is a foregone conclusion to assume that we’re all getting a pay cut. Let’s face it, anything connected with Wall Street these days is viewed poorly by the Obamites.

Kiwi, whoops. I read your PM and forgot to respond to it last night. So long as the common getting wiped out is off of the table I think that any dilution less than 66% means that BAC gravitates up toward its price to book of $28.00 a share calculated to reflect the dilution. So if BAC was diluted up to 66%, the stock would try to gravitate toward $9.24. What effect this is anything on the books that lowers the price to book. But since we cannot see L3 assets, lowering the price to book value is a wall of worry for another time and another day.

Signature