It’s a toilet. It’s not a bathroom.

Posted: 01 March 2009 10:53 PM

From time to time I get my knickers in a twist when people refer to the toilet as the “bathroom”. There’s even a (US) version of the Bible where, instead of (St James) “And Saul went into the cave to cover his feet” (a lovely figurative euphemism I’m sure you’ll agree, although wet), it has “And Saul went into the cave to go to the bathroom.” Very stupid. And when did you ever see a plane with a bathroom? I understand some of the flasher ones have showers, but that’s a little different?

But now I’m am in a screaming fit of rage. In a Guardian article on toilet paper, a Kimberly-Clark representative Dave Dixon refers to toilet paper as “bath paper”. As euphemisms go, this is the roughest end.

The man is mad. And, may I add, an arse-wipe. :-x

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 04 March 2009 07:50 PM #1

It doesn’t bother me nearly that much, but then I grew up using Bathrooms. Toilet referred to the actual porcelain device for flushing away material. I wonder though if this is an impact of American prudishness. “Going to the bathroom” “Going to powder my nose”, “Have to see a man about a horse”, and all the rest somehow obfuscate what is really going on and in the uptight Victorian era of the 20th century United States that is important.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 04 March 2009 08:16 PM #2

I agree and understand, but bath paper?

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 04 March 2009 09:05 PM #3

They’ve now taken to calling it tissue in commercials. Just tissue.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 07 March 2009 07:09 AM #4

The Chinese term for it is ???: hygienic paper.

I find that to be appropriate.

Edit: I guess the new forum engine doesn’t recognize Chinese characters. Oh well.

Posted: 28 May 2009 06:55 PM #5

eh? do you know dinosaurs are related to birds?

• Posted: 21 July 2009 12:00 PM #6

Whenever I go to the restroom, I take comfort in the fact that I might engage in several different activities. Unless they are out of rest tissue—that imposes severe limits on my options. And I can never quite catch my breath without the aid of rest tissue.

As for the vulgar and activity-limiting terms that you were using before: I would enter a public room labeled a t***et or b***room. What I do in there is none of your business unless I forget to freshen my hands wink