Apple Introduces New Mac Pro

• Posted: 03 March 2009 09:34 AM

Tuesday March 3, 8:31 am ET

Features Intel ‘Nehalem’ Xeon Processors & High-Performance Graphics
    CUPERTINO, Calif., March 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/—Apple? today introduced the new Mac? Pro using Intel “Nehalem” Xeon processors and a next-generation system architecture to deliver up to twice the performance of the previous generation system.* The new Mac Pro starts at $2,499 and features the latest graphics technology and an updated interior that makes expansion even easier than before.

Article Here

Signature

Posted: 03 March 2009 10:30 AM #1

I spec’ced out one of these puppies, with pretty much high end choices.

Shoot, you can buy TWO HOUSES in Detroit right now for the price of a gussied up unit.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 03 March 2009 11:12 AM #2

Scott Moritz Sarcastic reporting over at the street.com:

Apple’s Gift to the Frugal: $2,500 Mac Pro

Apple has turned its tin ear to the slumping economy and introduced a $2,500 aluminum-body desktop computer, $300 below the price of its previous model.

The new Mac Pro features Intel’s (INTC Quote - Cramer on INTC - Stock Picks) Xeon processor and is targeted to users requiring heavy graphics capabilities. The high-end box is one of four hotly anticipated upgrades to desktop computers introduced by Apple on Tuesday.
    Aside from the $300 cut in the Mac Pro price, all the other upgrades remain the same price. The move continues to show that Apple plans to hold the line on prices, a move that seems a tad out of touch with the current downturn in consumer spending.

Low hanging fruit reporting as there are plenty of high end shops wanting these capabilities.

Signature

Posted: 03 March 2009 11:17 AM #3

rattyuk - 03 March 2009 03:12 PM

Scott Moritz Sarcastic reporting over at the street.com:

Apple’s Gift to the Frugal: $2,500 Mac Pro

Apple has turned its tin ear to the slumping economy and introduced a $2,500 aluminum-body desktop computer, $300 below the price of its previous model.

The new Mac Pro features Intel’s (INTC Quote - Cramer on INTC - Stock Picks) Xeon processor and is targeted to users requiring heavy graphics capabilities. The high-end box is one of four hotly anticipated upgrades to desktop computers introduced by Apple on Tuesday.
    Aside from the $300 cut in the Mac Pro price, all the other upgrades remain the same price. The move continues to show that Apple plans to hold the line on prices, a move that seems a tad out of touch with the current downturn in consumer spending.

Low hanging fruit reporting as there are plenty of high end shops wanting these capabilities.

There is demand but does Apple sell even 150,000 Mac Pros a year?

FWIW, as I priced out a new Mac Pro I remembered that it cost less than what I paid for a Quadra 900 back in ‘90 maybe ‘91? Anyway that box was 10K. And $6300 is a deal when I remember selling 32MB sticks of ram for $1799 a throw (and that was a bulk deal) and 1GB HDDs for $1199.

Course I remember forking out over a grand for cell phones too.

I’m going to go off into a corner and ramble to myself now….

[ Edited: 03 March 2009 11:20 AM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 03 March 2009 11:22 AM #4

TanToday - 03 March 2009 02:30 PM

I spec’ced out one of these puppies, with pretty much high end choices.

Shoot, you can buy TWO HOUSES in Detroit right now for the price of a gussied up unit.

No AppleCare? :wink:

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 03 March 2009 11:22 AM #5

“TanToday” date=“1236108633”]I spec’ced out one of these puppies, with pretty much high end choices.

I just bought 8/2GB dimms for my new Mac Pro for $225.  Anyone who buys ram (or any upgrades for that matter) from Apple should have their head examined.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 03 March 2009 11:45 AM #6

Other World Computing has some great deals on memory. And will provide a small rebate for your old dimms. There are speed advantages to having every memory slot filled, even if they are 512’s, the processors will be more efficient.
    :apple:

Posted: 03 March 2009 06:54 PM #7

macglenn - 03 March 2009 03:22 PM

“TanToday” date=“1236108633”]I spec’ced out one of these puppies, with pretty much high end choices.

I just bought 8/2GB dimms for my new Mac Pro for $225.  Anyone who buys ram (or any upgrades for that matter) from Apple should have their head examined.

I totally agree. I use Crucial (Micron) so know that they will work and if I have any issues they are covered by warranty.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 20 March 2009 03:16 PM #8

MacCube,

Thank you for reminding folks of our RAM deals at Other World Computing. If you subscribe to our newsletter, you can even find more deals. Just click on the Customer Service tab at http://www.macsales.com and choose eNewsletter Subscription from the sidebar.

FYI, OWC also sells memory from other vendors, including Crucial (owned by Micron Technology), Samsung, and Techworks.

We also have a new blog which highlights some of the upgrades for the new Mac Pro and other random details at: http://blog.macsales.com/

Thanks!
    OWC ilene

MacCube - 03 March 2009 03:45 PM

Other World Computing has some great deals on memory. And will provide a small rebate for your old dimms. :: SNIP ::::

Posted: 20 March 2009 04:08 PM #9

Macnymph - 20 March 2009 06:16 PM

MacCube,

Thank you for reminding folks of our RAM deals at Other World Computing. If you subscribe to our newsletter, you can even find more deals. Just click on the Customer Service tab at http://www.macsales.com and choose eNewsletter Subscription from the sidebar.

FYI, OWC also sells memory from other vendors, including Crucial (owned by Micron Technology), Samsung, and Techworks.

We also have a new blog which highlights some of the upgrades for the new Mac Pro and other random details at: http://blog.macsales.com/

Thanks!
    OWC ilene

Other World Computing has some great deals on memory. And will provide a small rebate for your old dimms. :: SNIP ::::

First let me say that I had nothing to do with this spam. I was just passing along my buying experiences. But because of this, I will have second thoughts about ever buying there again.

I hate spammers.

Posted: 20 March 2009 04:12 PM #10

First let me say that I had nothing to do with this spam. I was just passing along my buying experiences. But because of this, I will have second thoughts about ever buying there again.

I hate spammers.

No need to be so harsh, MacCube. It’s likely that they picked up your link in their webserver logs. I’m fairly certain OWC sponsor MacObserver, so am not overly bothered by the post.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 21 March 2009 03:03 AM #11

wheeles - 20 March 2009 07:12 PM

I hate spammers.

No need to be so harsh, MacCube. It’s likely that they picked up your link in their webserver logs. I’m fairly certain OWC sponsor MacObserver, so am not overly bothered by the post.

Considering OWC’s long-standing relationship with the Mac community, I consider the post more overzealousness than spam. I’ve purchased from OWC Mac-related products that weren’t found easily anywhere else, especially items for legacy Macs.

I’m cutting the company some slack on this one.

Posted: 21 March 2009 11:05 AM #12

DawnTreader - 21 March 2009 06:03 AM

Considering OWC’s long-standing relationship with the Mac community, I consider the post more overzealousness than spam. I’ve purchased from OWC Mac-related products that weren’t found easily anywhere else, especially items for legacy Macs.

I’m cutting the company some slack on this one.

OWC’s intensions may have been honorable, but I feel the presentation was poor. Points will be deducted from their report card.  :-D