MacMini is the attack dog.

• Posted: 03 March 2009 01:26 PM

The Mac Mini upgrade is huge IMO. Same video processor as iMacs. upgradable to 4 gigs ram. $499 model gives you SuperDrive now (that’s huge). 120 gig HD now. Get a Time Capsule and your screamin’.

Signature

Hocus pokus, hope it don’t poke us in the eye.

Posted: 03 March 2009 03:45 PM #1

Where and for whom?

The market has moved to small form netbooks, this crazy thing, will sell to those who already have one, and want an upgrade, but who on earth would do one of these that needs a monitor and keyboard and mouse, when you can get a Dell mini 9, for the same price and Hackintosh it to a Mac?

Seriously?

And the SAME FORM FACTORS FROM A FEW YEARS AGO, for the rest of the desktop line the iMacs?

Sheesh, basically you are getting a new MOBO with VID, and that is about it.

VERY unimpressed. Not even leading edge processors? Where is eSATA out? Even cheapos have that nowadays?

From where I sit, that $28 billion rotting away, is money that is NOT being used, shoot, where IS ANY INNOVATIONS at all, stuff that others don’t have? I detest Apple almost being TRAILING EDGE, other than software and support.

Basically all we got this year, was crippled machines with a nice new case, big whoop.

[ Edited: 03 March 2009 03:48 PM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 03 March 2009 03:46 PM #2

duplicate removed

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 03 March 2009 04:08 PM #3

From where I sit, that $28 billion rotting away, is money that is NOT being used, shoot, where IS ANY INNOVATIONS at all, stuff that others don?t have? I detest Apple almost being TRAILING EDGE, other than software and support.

Basically all we got this year, was crippled machines with a nice new case, big whoop.

And here is was so worried you’d be displeased… 

Perhaps Apple shouldn’t introduce their best during a recession with lower margins, etc.

Signature

Hocus pokus, hope it don’t poke us in the eye.

Posted: 03 March 2009 04:31 PM #4

Douglas Stanton - 03 March 2009 08:08 PM

Perhaps Apple shouldn’t introduce their best during a recession with lower margins, etc.

I agree, don’t do nuttin but get 2% on your cash hoard.

When you come back into “the game” when the “markets improve” you can then try and talk everyone out of their “other machines, that are running OS X"like dreams ....

Good luck.

You GET MORE AGRESSIVE in a downturn, sheesh, that is Business 100, that is the course you take BEFORE Business 101.

Signature

Posted: 03 March 2009 04:32 PM #5

Are you looking at the same machines I am?

The Mini is a great little system for those that don’t want a laptop. I’m looking at replacing a PPC tower with one and using it as a home file server. The only downside I see is that this may very well spell the end of the AppleTV as for just a couple hundred more you get a huge increase in capability.

The iMacs are a nice bump in spec plus as I understand it a drop in price. Good move on both accords.

The Mac Pro was due for an increase in spec and they got one.

Airport/Time Capsule each got a nice bump in spec.

That they did not come up with a new case design doesn’t bother me. what they have looks good. The Pro case is solid and functional. The Mini case does what it needs to. There was no reason to drop money into a redesign.

I’m more than pleased with this round of updates.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 03 March 2009 04:35 PM #6

geoduck - 03 March 2009 08:32 PM

Are you looking at the same machines I am?

The Mini is a great little system for those that don’t want a laptop. I’m looking at replacing a PPC tower with one and using it as a home file server. The only downside I see is that this may very well spell the end of the AppleTV as for just a couple hundred more you get a huge increase in capability.

The iMacs are a nice bump in spec plus as I understand it a drop in price. Good move on both accords.

The Mac Pro was due for an increase in spec and they got one.

Airport/Time Capsule each got a nice bump in spec.

That they did not come up with a new case design doesn’t bother me. what they have looks good. The Pro case is solid and functional. The Mini case does what it needs to. There was no reason to drop money into a redesign.

I’m more than pleased with this round of updates.

Nope tan thinks that to be seen is far more important than actually being.

Signature

Posted: 03 March 2009 04:43 PM #7

Ok that makes more sense. The comment about ‘crippled machines with new cases’ really had me stumped, as we actually got improved machines in the same cases.

i’ll stop feeding the troll.

Signature

Posted: 03 March 2009 04:56 PM #8

TanToday - 03 March 2009 07:45 PM

Where and for whom?

The market has moved to small form netbooks, this crazy thing, will sell to those who already have one, and want an upgrade, but who on earth would do one of these that needs a monitor and keyboard and mouse, when you can get a Dell mini 9, for the same price and Hackintosh it to a Mac?

Seriously?

And the SAME FORM FACTORS FROM A FEW YEARS AGO, for the rest of the desktop line the iMacs?

Sheesh, basically you are getting a new MOBO with VID, and that is about it.

VERY unimpressed. Not even leading edge processors? Where is eSATA out? Even cheapos have that nowadays?

From where I sit, that $28 billion rotting away, is money that is NOT being used, shoot, where IS ANY INNOVATIONS at all, stuff that others don’t have? I detest Apple almost being TRAILING EDGE, other than software and support.

Tan
    What leading edge processor is in that netbook?  The Intel Atom.  I hate to tell you but the core 2 Dou has quite a bit more horsepower then the Atom.  For a simple test throw a copy of handbrake on your dell mini and tell me how long it takes to process a 2hr DVD into a SD digital file for watching via the HDTV.  Time has a value if I get paid 100 an hr,  would you want me to waste 12 hrs on a project or get it done in 1?  You should know better you are starting to sound like one of the Apple analysts.

Posted: 03 March 2009 05:29 PM #9

And BOTH is impossible for AAPL?

Where is NEW as…..in…...NOT ALREADY being sold?

Incremental ministeps is NOT how you jump start the next phase of things.

Why is it that I’m the ONLY ONE HERE, that isn’t happy with these “improvements?”

It is like GM coming out with same car three years in a row, but they went from a six to eight cylinders and improved the exhaust system.

[ Edited: 03 March 2009 05:31 PM by TanToday ]

Signature

Posted: 03 March 2009 05:30 PM #10

geoduck - 03 March 2009 08:43 PM

Ok that makes more sense. The comment about ‘crippled machines with new cases’ really had me stumped, as we actually got improved machines in the same cases.

Crippled being, fewer ports, less included accessories, dramatically cheaper packaging, smaller keyboards, etc.

Signature

• Posted: 03 March 2009 05:41 PM #11

TanToday - 03 March 2009 09:30 PM
    geoduck - 03 March 2009 08:43 PM

Crippled being, fewer ports, less included accessories, dramatically cheaper packaging, smaller keyboards, etc.

Hmmm.

fewer ports? I think basically it has lost the firewire 400 ports - the 800 is there and is backwards compatible.

Less included accessories - that would be the remote - I have about 5 of these already around the house.

“dramatically cheaper packaging” So - not a good idea to make things cheaper / greener then?

“smaller keyboards” you can get the other one at no extra cost.

Signature

Posted: 03 March 2009 06:06 PM #12

TanToday - 03 March 2009 09:29 PM

And BOTH is impossible for AAPL?

Where is NEW as…..in…...NOT ALREADY being sold?

Incremental ministeps is NOT how you jump start the next phase of things.

Why is it that I’m the ONLY ONE HERE, that isn’t happy with these “improvements?”

It is like GM coming out with same car three years in a row, but they went from a six to eight cylinders and improved the exhaust system.

What would you have liked to have seen instead? with what specs and what price? And finally what would be the margins on those products?

Just trying to get some thoughtful discussion going.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 03 March 2009 07:13 PM #13

Play Ultimate - 03 March 2009 10:06 PM

What would you have liked to have seen instead? with what specs and what price? And finally what would be the margins on those products?

Just trying to get some thoughtful discussion going.

Well put. Apple does not need to revolutionize the industry every year. I’m happy with these improvements. I would have been decidedly unhappy if Apple had gone too far afield from the model that has been working. If they had, for instance, released a netbook or licensed the OS to a third party manufacturer then I would have been very critical. I don’t see either as strategies that would help to grow Apple, keep them profitable, or advanced the industry. At this point in time incremental improvements to some already good systems are IMO the right plan. As the market improves over the next couple of years <cross fingers> then Apple can do some wild things. Right now I don’t see trying something experimental that might fail and cost them a wad of money as a good idea.

Signature

Posted: 03 March 2009 07:33 PM #14

I get the impression that the hardware released today was about getting everything ready for Snow Leopard and Grand Central.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 03 March 2009 07:42 PM #15

geoduck - 03 March 2009 11:13 PM

Well put. Apple does not need to revolutionize the industry every year. I’m happy with these improvements.

It has been argued that one of the reasons for the VW Beetles success was its continuity of design from year to year. Likewise, BMW and Lexus both have recognizable designs. And each year they improve a little more. Likewise with AAPL. These improved, not new, computers are just that. . .improvements. 
    And in the current market place, there is lots of comfort in the familiar.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale