MacMini is the attack dog.

Posted: 04 March 2009 02:28 PM #31

TanToday - 04 March 2009 02:32 PM
    Gregg Thurman - 04 March 2009 06:07 AM

I don’t know why anyone responds to tan, he is horribly uninformed, and knows not a twit about marketing strategies, or general business strategies for that matter.  If he were as smart as he purports to be, he would be on Apple’s payroll with gobs of stock options.  He isn’t, and that says it all.

Greg, just to put your comments to bed….

How many large firms have you been VP of?

How many companies have you owned?

How many new products have you brought to markets?

How many employees have you hired and fired in your lifetime?

Be nice, Bruce.  grin

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 04 March 2009 05:38 PM #32

Notebooks / laptops and especially Netbook are ergonomic traps—future pain - RSIs - waiting to happen.  Netbook keyboards are too small to be used effectively.  Any laptop / netbook / notebook will have the screen too low, unless it is on a stand and you use a separate keyboard. 

Hence, using a Mac Mini with a decent monitor, keyboard and mouse can be a better choice than a portable, unless you need to take it with you.

On the smaller keyboard—it is an advantage to any right-handed mouse user, because it lets you put the mouse about six inches closer to the right edge of the keyboard.  That six inch extension and twist of the arm to the right experienced with a keyboard with number pad and movement keys adds extra strain / stress on the wrist when mousing.  So it is not a bad thing to have a keyboard without the space blocking extras.

I do agree that Apple cutting out the remote is simply a way to keep the margin high on the machine.  I have a 1 year old MacBook and would have liked to have a remote included.  That being said, I can’t say I have really missed it.

• Posted: 04 March 2009 08:04 PM #33

I have a 1.5 Ghz Mini that I upgraded the processor to 2.0 Ghz and it’s a nice computer. The new upgrades are great. You can put 4 gb ram in them now and the new video supports 30 inch displays! Here it is straight from Apple’s Mini tech specs page:

Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

Yep, that is the specs of a 30 inch display. Go get one!

I just hopped over to the Apple Store and priced out a Mini with these specs:

2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB Ram
    250 GB Hard Drive
    Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse

This prices out to 1097.00. Swing over to Newegg.com and add a 30 inch Samsung display for 999.00 and for 2096.00 you get a computer that can run the Mac OS and Windows if you want, and a huge display all for less than a Mac Pro alone!

Posted: 04 March 2009 10:20 PM #34

One thing I wish is that Apple would provide an option for a 500 Gb hard drive. I installed one in my old 1.6 Ghz mini recently so it can hold my lossless iTunes library. This enabled me to get rid of an external drive, which was too noisy for a high-end listening environment. I was also surprised to see that the 500 Gb laptop drives are not an option on the laptops - especially since they can be had for < $130.

I would consider a new mini for the faster processor (Front Row is sluggish on my current unit) and the draft .n wireless, but the small hard drive capacity is a deal breaker until somebody offers some warranted options. No sense voiding the warranty by swapping hard drives. I guess I will get a .n dongle for $30 and wait for the next mini update to get a faster processor.

Posted: 04 March 2009 11:03 PM #35

OldGuy - 04 March 2009 09:38 PM

On the smaller keyboard—it is an advantage to any right-handed mouse user, because it lets you put the mouse about six inches closer to the right edge of the keyboard.  That six inch extension and twist of the arm to the right experienced with a keyboard with number pad and movement keys adds extra strain / stress on the wrist when mousing.  So it is not a bad thing to have a keyboard without the space blocking extras.

I’m a huge fan of keypad-less keyboards. The stupid keypad is the reason I now mouse with the left hand.  Minimalist keyboards were the norm on the Mac Plus and SE, so this could be considered a return to the roots. That Apple now offers a choice is a *great* step. Backward, yes, but in a good way.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 05 March 2009 06:21 AM #36

jpashin - 05 March 2009 02:20 AM

One thing I wish is that Apple would provide an option for a 500 Gb hard drive.

I’m guessing heat might be an issue.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 05 March 2009 09:54 AM #37

Can the mac mini be used with an older version Imac? In other words, I want to use the monitor of an older Imac (White Flat panel) with a new mac mini.

Signature

Inflation robs from the past, deflation robs from the future. Pick your poison.

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:19 AM #38

jeffi - 05 March 2009 01:54 PM

Can the mac mini be used with an older version Imac? In other words, I want to use the monitor of an older Imac (White Flat panel) with a new mac mini.

The only program I am aware of is ScreenRecycler from http://www.screenrecycler.com/.  Not sure if it will do exactly what you want but it is free to try

Pat

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:24 AM #39

TanToday - 03 March 2009 09:29 PM

It is like GM coming out with same car three years in a row, but they went from a six to eight cylinders and improved the exhaust system.

No, it would be like, say, GM building cars with the exact same exteriors and interiors for five years in a row, yet completely redesigned the drivetrain, suspension and brakes every year and a half or so.

Have you heard of the Crown Victoria? Ford hasn’t changed the exterior at all since 1998. Yet, between 1998 and 2009, they’ve either updated or completely redesigned the engine, the suspension, the steering, the brakes, the wheels, the chassis and the transmission. The result is a car that looks exactly the same, but handles, feels, accelerates, brakes and drives a lot better.

Improving on a classic design isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:35 AM #40

rezonate - 05 March 2009 03:03 AM
    OldGuy - 04 March 2009 09:38 PM

I’m a huge fan of keypad-less keyboards. The stupid keypad is the reason I now mouse with the left hand.  Minimalist keyboards were the norm on the Mac Plus and SE, so this could be considered a return to the roots. That Apple now offers a choice is a *great* step. Backward, yes, but in a good way.

But the old extended keyboard sold better. I know because I sold ‘em.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 05 March 2009 01:04 PM #41

MaxW - 05 March 2009 02:24 PM

Have you heard of the Crown Victoria? Ford hasn’t changed the exterior at all since 1998. Yet, between 1998 and 2009, they’ve either updated or completely redesigned the engine, the suspension, the steering, the brakes, the wheels, the chassis and the transmission. The result is a car that looks exactly the same, but handles, feels, accelerates, brakes and drives a lot better.

Improving on a classic design isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

And their biggest market is ??

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 05 March 2009 03:59 PM #42

wheeles - 05 March 2009 10:21 AM
    jpashin - 05 March 2009 02:20 AM

One thing I wish is that Apple would provide an option for a 500 Gb hard drive.

I’m guessing heat might be an issue.

Possible, but this drive is also not offered with the notebooks, including the 17”, which can undoubtedly handle it. Also, my “ancient” mini seems to run no hotter with the 500 Gb drive installed than it did with the original 60 Gb drive.

Perhaps Apple is concerned with reliability because 2.5”-9.5 mm drives of this capacity are fairly new. I just find it a bit odd since these new drives are remarkably inexpensive.

The mini could be positioned as the ultimate computer for home theater applications. Price isn’t really a big deal to me. I’m more interested in the deployability and versatility of the unit.

• Posted: 12 March 2009 01:05 PM #43

This Mini is a much more compelling machine.  It would not have as long a practical user-life as a Mac Pro but with it’s ability to run two displays, the better graphics, the 4 GB RAM upgradability, and the FireWire 800 port, would it not make a practical machine for Adobe Creative Sweat 4 if I max’d out the RAM and swapped out the 5400 RPM internal drive with a Seagate 2.5” 7200 Serial ATA Drive?