Amazon Launches Kindle App for iPhone

• Posted: 05 March 2009 12:56 PM #16

TanToday - 05 March 2009 04:47 PM

Apple has a MARKET SHARE around 7% in computers

Their iPhone market is a mass market, and growing larger with every passing day (especially in the U.S.).

The iPhone is closer to a Toyota Corolla than a BMW: A great product at a reasonable price.

Posted: 05 March 2009 12:59 PM #17

nrabinov - 05 March 2009 04:56 PM

Apple has a MARKET SHARE around 7% in computers

Their iPhone market is a mass market, and growing larger with every passing day (especially in the U.S.).

The iPhone is closer to a Toyota Corolla than a BMW: A great product at a reasonable price.

The ** ” PRICE ” ** is around $650

YOU are NOT PAYING the “Price” the telephone provider is.

You then pay him BACK, out of your high monthly data plan.

The PRICE is top end, despite what you see as YOU paying.

just thought I would point that out.

Best

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 05 March 2009 01:13 PM #18

TanToday - 05 March 2009 04:59 PM

The ** ” PRICE ” ** is around $650

YOU are NOT PAYING the “Price” the telephone provider is.

You then pay him BACK, out of your high monthly data plan.

The PRICE is top end, despite what you see as YOU paying.

just thought I would point that out.

Best

Are you aware that they’re giving iPhones away for free in Japan? (Of course “free” isn’t really free, but you get my gist).

At $199 in the U.S. the iPhone is at least as affordable as any competing smartphone out there. There is no question this is a mass product.

Heck - you can even buy ‘em at Walmart!

• Posted: 05 March 2009 01:58 PM #19

Can’t you see the IRONY here in your statement?

Thats a bit rich coming from the bloke who say Apple should do this and that and yet came up with this quote, yesterday.

Greg, just to put your comments to bed?.

How many large firms have you been VP of?

How many companies have you owned?

How many new products have you brought to markets?

How many employees have you hired and fired in your lifetime?

Without saying which of these things he had done.

Apple has a MARKET SHARE around 7% in computers, it is held out to be THE QUINTESSICAL SNOB product of computing….

And you know what it USED to be below 2% and Apple and Steve Jobs have grown it that far by managing the company just fine thank you.

Signature

• Posted: 05 March 2009 04:44 PM #20

As an owner of two Kindles, two iPhones, 7 Macs, and about a dozen iPods, I am very happy that Amazon has released an app for the iPhone to access my Kindle material.  The iPhone sucks, frankly, as a long-term reading device.  But when I’m sitting in my doctor’s office waiting for an appointment, it is nice to be able to pick up and continue reading a book I started the night before on my Kindle.  The brilliance of the Kindle ecosystem is the whispersync, which keeps all devices synchronized to the same pages.  If you are not a voracious reader, then the Kindle probably doesn’t make sense for you, but then you probably don’t spend much for books either.  As someone who typically reads two or three HUNDRED books a year, the Kindle is ideal for me and Version 2 is an even better device for me than the Kindle 1.

I can’t see where people who’ve never used a Kindle get off criticizing it.  If you don’t need it, then you shouldn’t buy one.  It is as simple as that.  If you want to use your iPhone for reading material, bless you and your eyesight, and hope you have the battery power for it to last long enough to finish a chapter or two. 

Each device has its place in the ecosystem.  For heavy readers, Kindle makes sense.  For others, the iPhone makes sense.  And for many, neither device makes sense.

Posted: 05 March 2009 06:00 PM #21

mrfearless47 - 05 March 2009 08:44 PM

For heavy readers, Kindle makes sense.  For others, the iPhone makes sense.  And for many, neither device makes sense.

After reading some others comments, I believe the only reading “device” they would actually USE, would be…

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 06 March 2009 02:45 AM #22

My wife is a Twilight series fan and loves having all books in the series in her iPhone to read during her lunch break or when she’s traveling. This sheer convenience of being able to carry your favorite books around in your iPhone is what is probably driving the popularity of ebooks and ebook applications in the iTunes store.