New ipod shuffle

Posted: 13 March 2009 06:21 AM #31

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/iPod-Shuffle-3rd-Generation/673/1

[ Edited: 13 March 2009 06:23 AM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 14 March 2009 06:39 AM #32

wildguess - 11 March 2009 01:48 PM

I found it interesting that when you sync to a PC the voice over sounds like a computer generated robot and when you sync to a Mac it sounds more human.Is that a subliminal message to PC users?

Pure conjecture: No, it means the text-to-speech is not happening on the Shuffle itself, but is generated audio from your platform of choice. (I’m sure the more technical sights have already figured out where they embedded this data.)
    The PC voice is “Victoria”, from MacinTalk 2.x circa 90-ish. It’s probably been embedded in the PC version of QT for years, while the Mac voice is one of the newer ones from OS X.

It may seem less magical that the Shuffle isn’t running some embedded VoiceOver component, but this is still a technically interesting device, because it IS playing 2 audio files simultaneously. As others noted, this is probably an exploratory project to learn how to put multi-track to best use.

Posted: 14 March 2009 07:27 AM #33

Rapa - 14 March 2009 09:39 AM

It may seem less magical that the Shuffle isn’t running some embedded VoiceOver component, but this is still a technically interesting device, because it IS playing 2 audio files simultaneously. As others noted, this is probably an exploratory project to learn how to put multi-track to best use.

I’d never considered that it was iTunes creating the VoiceOver as songs are synced. It certainly would explain the differences between the almost human voice of Mac and the retarded alien robot voice of Windows.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 14 March 2009 07:51 AM #34

wheeles - 14 March 2009 10:27 AM

I’d never considered that it was iTunes creating the VoiceOver as songs are synced. It certainly would explain the differences between the almost human voice of Mac and the retarded alien robot voice of Windows.

Well, it makes sense, since the voice on the Shuffle is also “the retarded alien robot voice” when you sync with Tiger. Tiger and Windows simply use an older voice imitation system.

• Posted: 14 March 2009 10:44 AM #35

geoduck - 12 March 2009 03:47 PM
    rattyuk - 12 March 2009 03:17 AM
    ApplecoreD - 12 March 2009 02:36 AM

No one at Apple seems to have paid any attention to the fact that many people *hate* the Apple headphones!!
    :-?  :-?  :-?

Nope - because YOU may not like it plenty of others do. You have your opinion of course - but I think that Apple know their customers better than most believe.

ApplecoreD; I can’t stand any in the ear headphone so I agree with you.

I have a tip for you Plato:  Try Apple’s in-ear phones and put on the smallest ear tip.  I LIKED the original phones Apple included but after wearing the $79 in-ear phones, I can’t!  The seal of the larger tips bothers me too, but the comfort (and secure) fit of the smaller ones is nirvana.

• Posted: 14 March 2009 11:06 AM #36

artman1033 - 14 March 2009 02:03 PM

The new ipod shuffle is the single most AMAZING electronic device I have ever seen. BUT, it is TOO SMALL! I have seen it up close. This ipod will be lost by the user.

I saw it at the Apple MOA store yesterday. They are not yet on display. Friday was the first day they were in stock at this store. There was not much demand for it at the time I visited.

At 4:00 PM, there were 4 geniuses helping 10 customers. There were 34 other shoppers in the store.  There were 13 other Apple employees in the store at that moment.

Nice reconnaissance report.  By contrast, a BOSE store could have 15-25 customers the ENTIRE day!

• Posted: 14 March 2009 11:27 AM #37

iLounge has been given the new device a negative review, citing sync speed, earphone, confusing interface..

Pros: Apple?s smallest, lightest iPod yet, and first iPod shuffle with remote control functionality. Offers modestly better transfer speeds and audio quality than prior shuffle, replaces prior dock with simpler USB sync and charge cable. Adds VoiceOver feature to let you switch playlists, identify certain tracks, determine battery levels.

Cons: Needlessly and seriously complicates controls by switching to a buttonless body, which cannot be controlled without Apple headphones or not-yet-manufactured third-party proprietary remote control solutions; presently next to useless with car or home stereos. Confusing interface will be hard for many users to totally grasp and use. Poor value as either a 4GB media player or 4GB flash drive. Very slow at file transfers by current iPod standards. Battery power diminished considerably from prior model. Boring design.

• Posted: 14 March 2009 11:40 AM #38

willrob - 14 March 2009 02:27 PM

iLounge has been given the new device a negative review, citing sync speed, earphone, confusing interface..

Pros: Apple?s smallest, lightest iPod yet, and first iPod shuffle with remote control functionality. Offers modestly better transfer speeds and audio quality than prior shuffle, replaces prior dock with simpler USB sync and charge cable. Adds VoiceOver feature to let you switch playlists, identify certain tracks, determine battery levels.

Cons: Needlessly and seriously complicates controls by switching to a buttonless body, which cannot be controlled without Apple headphones or not-yet-manufactured third-party proprietary remote control solutions; presently next to useless with car or home stereos. Confusing interface will be hard for many users to totally grasp and use. Poor value as either a 4GB media player or 4GB flash drive. Very slow at file transfers by current iPod standards. Battery power diminished considerably from prior model. Boring design.

I remember the reviews of early iPod nanos.  The skeptics were proven wrong then.  The iLounge probably sees a limit with aftermarket accessories it can sell with the new shuffle.

There IS some negative press on the new shuffle, more than I feel is deserved.  I MUCH prefer controlling the songs on the earphone cord than the hardware.  If you want buttons, I seem to recall that the iPod Nano is still available.  Speed?  This isn’t a computer guys!  The solid aluminum ingot is attractive enough.  We will see…

Posted: 14 March 2009 01:51 PM #39

TanToday - 13 March 2009 09:21 AM

I’m starting to become concerned as to why Mickey keeps showing up in these line-up.  tongue laugh

:apple:

Posted: 14 March 2009 02:13 PM #40

MaxW - 14 March 2009 10:51 AM
    wheeles - 14 March 2009 10:27 AM

Well, it makes sense, since the voice on the Shuffle is also “the retarded alien robot voice” when you sync with Tiger. Tiger and Windows simply use an older voice imitation system.

From my understanding VoiceOver will use whatever voice is currently selected by the OS.  On a Mac select UniversalAccess via the System Preference then VoiceOver Utility.  The voice Alex is the default and is new with Leopard.  I have not tested this since I don’t have a new shuffle.  The shuffle does not have the processing power to do this on the device, but I would think the next version of Iphone OS might include the existing Mac OS X framework NSSpeechSynthesizer and NSSpeechRecognizer.  This will allow any text to be spoken which would come in handy for reading emails or text and speech recognition for voice dial.  I’m looking forward to the roadmap brief on the 17th.

• Posted: 14 March 2009 02:36 PM #41

willrob - 14 March 2009 02:27 PM

Cons: presently next to useless with car or home stereos. Confusing interface will be hard for many users to totally grasp and use…Battery power diminished considerably from prior model.

To use with car or home stereos:

About headphone compatibility
    “When a standard headphone or audio accessory is connected you can initiate audio playback by simply switching iPod shuffle to the “play in order” or “shuffle” position from the OFF position. The iPod shuffle should be in the OFF position for at least 3 seconds before switching it back on. iPod shuffle will resume playback of the content that was previously being played at a fixed volume level that cannot be adjusted from the iPod itself. If iPod shuffle is connected to external speakers or a car stereo, volume adjustment may be possible from those devices. iPod shuffle will pause audio playback when the unit is switched off or when the audio accessory is disconnected.”

Regarding battery power: I wouldn’t characterize a 17% decrease in charge life, i.e. from 12 hours down to 10,  “considerable.”

Posted: 14 March 2009 06:23 PM #42

We stopped in at the Fashion Valley Apple Store, San Diego, to look at the new shuffles. I like it! It is incredibly light in weight, but feels solid.  It took me about 20 seconds to learn the controls. The wife asked me if I want one and I said, I could use the $80 somewhere else. She went off shoe shopping or whatever and I continued to play with the Shuffle. Then I bought one. After I get home I will let you know more about it, but right now I am “jazzed.”

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 16 March 2009 02:06 AM #43

saw it… like it… don’t need it… will buy it!

• Posted: 16 March 2009 06:39 AM #44

I use genius to make new workout playlists for my shuffle. The downside is when it picks a track I hate. Now I’ll be able to skip it without looking. I definitely need one :wink:

Seriously, this has new functionality for an iPod, and extends the iTunes ecosystem to new areas. To criticize it for lacking functionality of an existing iPod is to miss the point.