midpoint   87.94
    S2       86.35
      midpoint   83.63
    S3       80.91
      midpoint   78.19
    S4       75.47

[ Edited: 15 March 2009 03:52 PM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 12 March 2009 09:40 AM #1

Retail sales are better than expected, whereas employment is less than expected. “Computer & Software stores” were slightly lower in January 2009 from December 2008, but January 2008 sales were quite lower (4%) from January 2008 sale.

Probably another positive day for AAPL, and maybe I can sell my Mar 100 calls without a loss.

[ Edited: 12 March 2009 09:45 AM by awcabot ]

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 12 March 2009 10:41 AM #2

Quiet again huh. Nobody’s happy we haven’t given back our gains? Pretty color green today. Even with the market looking weak.

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

Posted: 12 March 2009 10:44 AM #3

Wondering how long it can last…  Holding on to my remaining shares at present, but if the broader markets fail to sustain Tuesday’s rally, how long can AAPL rise?  At the very least, it seems difficult to envisage us going much beyond R1 with the markets like this.

We’re overdue for a multi-day rally.  If today turns negative, are we back on track for S&P 600?

Edited: anyone have ideas why MCD deteriorated recently after holding up so well during the past couple of grim weeks?  Punters no longer need its ‘shelter’ if the markets rally?  (But MCD continues to fall today, with negative markets.)

[ Edited: 12 March 2009 10:48 AM by Winterpool ]

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

• Posted: 12 March 2009 10:51 AM #4

Just a word of caution - I think AAPL is the only tech stock still green, but for much longer I think - unless the overall market improves.
    I shorted more at 93.95 since we bounced off 94 again. And the overall market is red. Dow below 6900 again.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 12 March 2009 11:27 AM #5

dc930 - 11 March 2009 12:43 PM
    I?ve been sitting on some March 100C?s too long - I want to get out and into April or beyond.  Right now they are underwater some 25%, but I want to take advantage of these last 2 days (up 400%) and salvage what I?ve got, especially with OE right around the corner.

Is that the correct thing to do?  Get out of the options and wait for a pullback to get in again?  I got bit last week by holding them too long, and don?t want a repeat performance this week.

Regarding your March 100 Calls, I am no expert, but from all the money I have lost from options that expired and went to ZERO, I can suggest using extreme caution.

It is better to lose 25%, than 100% !!

There are only 9 days until March options expire, and out of the money calls can decrease very quickly in value.  So be careful and monitor the position closely.

When buying call options, it is often safer to buy more time.  When selling call options, it is better to have a shorter duration, because quicker time decay is what you want.

Good luck!!

Thanks, that’s my reasoning too and I dumped them when we bounced off of 94 yesterday, and lost about 30%.  It’s much better than the 85% I was down 2 days ago!  I didn’t have any available funds to take advantage of the rally either, so I learned my lesson.

• Posted: 12 March 2009 11:32 AM #6

The fight for 7000 and 730 on the S&P continues - 2 times already. If we loose it a 3rd time - we might go red soon again.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 12 March 2009 11:48 AM #7

litespeed - 12 March 2009 01:41 PM

Quiet again huh. Nobody’s happy we haven’t given back our gains? Pretty color green today. Even with the market looking weak.

I’m happy!

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 12 March 2009 12:01 PM #8

artman1033 - 12 March 2009 02:51 PM

This is going to be worth another $5-10 for AAPL in the next week.

That is based on the assumption that this rally continues. What makes you think it will?

Posted: 12 March 2009 12:02 PM #9

IMHO: The new shuffle is the slickest device at a fabulous price point that I have ever seen.

4GB flash for $79.00..         

Meanwhile the mark to massacre hearing is taking place right now and everybody is leaning forward trying to listen but all the business news is talking about Madoff. As sad as the Madoff event is and though I once had Madoff exposure by proxy through a fund, I sold out of that fund in ‘07. Now I have a high concentration in financials and really wish that we’d have the mark to miracle hearing on live.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 12 March 2009 12:02 PM #10

Plato - 12 March 2009 02:32 PM

The fight for 7000 and 730 on the S&P continues - 2 times already. If we loose it a 3rd time - we might go red soon again.

Why 730? I would have thought that the 20d SMA (749.25) is the level to watch out for, not some arbitrary round number.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 12 March 2009 12:05 PM #11

Eric Landstrom - 12 March 2009 03:02 PM

IMHO: The new shuffle is the slickest device at a fabulous price point that I have ever seen.

4GB flash for $79.00..         

Meanwhile the mark to massacre hearing is taking place right now and everybody is leaning forward trying to listen but all the business news is talking about Madoff. As sad as the Madoff event is and though I once had Madoff exposure by proxy through a fund, I sold out of that fund in ‘07. Now I have a high concentration in financials and really wish that we’d have the mark to miracle hearing on live.

Did I hear wrong, or did it sound like Jamie Dimon was against suspending “mark to market” (in his speech yesterday)?

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

• Posted: 12 March 2009 12:18 PM #12

awcabot - 12 March 2009 03:02 PM
    Plato - 12 March 2009 02:32 PM

Why 730? I would have thought that the 20d SMA (749.25) is the level to watch out for, not some arbitrary round number.

730 to me is not arbitrary - we bounced off 3 times the last 24 hours and it looks like short term resistance to me.

Signature

Posted: 12 March 2009 12:28 PM #13

ConMan - 12 March 2009 03:05 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 12 March 2009 03:02 PM

4GB flash for $79.00..         

Did I hear wrong, or did it sound like Jamie Dimon was against suspending “mark to market” (in his speech yesterday)?

Nobody is asking for a suspension of M2M. What people want is that M2M is modified so that traditional methods of M2M are put back into place. For example the only way to avoid marking down mortgages to ziltch is to state that you will hold the mortgages to full term and never sell them. Mortgages that you may hold for sale at a later time must be marked to ziltch when the market dries up instead of marked to loan.

Jamie explained it yesterday. Here is his speech. Pick it up at 17:45 to listen to Jamie’s suggestions on M2M (16:00 to listen to all of his suggestions)  http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1058977582&play=1

PS: I cannot believe that nobody said anything about the cat.

Signature

Posted: 12 March 2009 12:29 PM #14

SP 730 appear to correlate with DOW 7000 as well.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 12 March 2009 12:34 PM #15

Speaking of Madoff,

Another ponzi sceme: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aiuUs_l8gpz8&refer=home

Sing it with me:

When I was just a baby, my momma told me,
    “Son, always be good and don’t play with your clients’ moneeeey”
    But I wanted to get rich quick and so I started up a ponziiiiiiii

And whatever you do, don’t be like me!
    Yehaw!

Amazing what the SEC can find when they actually look, huh?

Signature