User Authentication and DNS Resolution take WAY TO LONG. plz help.

Posted: 17 March 2009 11:45 PM

Hey Mac Boyz:

heres my problem. about yesterday i installed a program called MacFUSE 2.0 and i noticed that durring the instalation of this application when it asked me for my user password to authenticate it took roughly 1minute and 20 seconds between the time i entered my password and it accepted the password and proceeded. i think this may be related to my keychain as it houses all my passwords and authenticates them. how do i return the authentication process back to instant as it SHOULD be. (also i tried uninstalling and re-installing several other apps and every time the authentication process took about a minute and a half.

next on the list when ever i ask safari or webkit to load a site it takes about 30seconds for the site to be “recognised” by my browser and be displayed. (that makes searching this forum VERY tedious) how do i fix that?

-thanks for your help in advance.
    -makay

Signature

A questioning servant is more dangerous than a ignorant Foe

Posted: 19 March 2009 12:40 AM #1

For the first issue, try running keychain first aid.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 19 March 2009 02:12 AM #2

ok i did that keychain repair like you asked, it took less than one second to repair and said that it did not encounter any errors. immediately after i verified disk permissions in disk utility and it fixed some entries related to iphoto then said everything was in order.

promptly following that i opened system preferences and tried to authenticate a system pane for editing and sadly it STILL took 90seconds to reconcile the password entry.

anything else i should try?

Signature

Posted: 19 March 2009 11:00 AM #3

Try from a different account on the same machine.

Signature

• Posted: 19 March 2009 12:07 PM #4

I second the “check from another user on the same machine”. If you don’t have one, you should create one.

That aside, has this machine ever been part of a Directory system (i.e. Business or school) that user accounts are server-based?

Posted: 19 March 2009 02:58 PM #5

WOAH!! good suggestion “Power User” your absolutely right this machine HAS been used in a business environment a while back and was set up to a Mac OS X server via the directory utility. i went in there and removed the server entry and amazingly my authentication speeds are back to under one second!

thanks! now just for some follow up could you explain why a long out of use directory server would cause password authentication to take such a long time?

Signature

• Posted: 19 March 2009 05:56 PM #6

There is often a long delay when it’s not able to reach it’s “Master”. It’s looking for the directory server to make sure your credentials are still good. Even if you have a completely local account, if you have a directory server in your list, it may want to make sure there aren’t any machine-wide settings that the directory administrator has mandated.
    I’m glad I could help on the first post.

Posted: 19 March 2009 06:58 PM #7

ok nice, my authentication is instant now, how should i go about speeding up the resolution time of websites. (note: its only websites) skype, adium, ichat, etc are at full speed. when i do downloads the download takes roughly 30seconds to 45 seconds to start but once it does it uses the full bandwidth of my internet connection (1.2MBytes/s) it occurs in both safari and webkit and firefox.

Signature

• Posted: 19 March 2009 07:51 PM #8

That sounds like some stale DNS entries or servers. Make sure you don’t have anything in your Network settings that aren’t 100% accurate for the network you’re on. Maybe you have something left over from the corporate network there too?

Posted: 19 March 2009 08:21 PM #9

Make sure there are no proxy settings.

brett_x read my mind on the authentication. Next question was about looking for a directory server.

Signature

Posted: 19 March 2009 11:47 PM #10

makaymurray - 19 March 2009 09:58 PM

ok nice, my authentication is instant now, how should i go about speeding up the resolution time of websites. (note: its only websites) skype, adium, ichat, etc are at full speed. when i do downloads the download takes roughly 30seconds to 45 seconds to start but once it does it uses the full bandwidth of my internet connection (1.2MBytes/s) it occurs in both safari and webkit and firefox.

I had the problem with Safari seemingly hanging then eventually loading the page. Try turning off the “Warn When Visiting a Fraudulent Web Site” in the Security tab of Safari’s preference. Then, of course, visit trusted websites.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 20 March 2009 02:18 AM #11

thanks every one. that last tip fixed the problem with safari and webkit. (I don’t use firefox ever so i don’t care to fix it)

consider this thread fixed!

thanks again.

Signature