IBM To Buy JAVA?

• Posted: 18 March 2009 10:35 AM

Is IBM about to buy Sun Microsystems? That’s the rumor.

It would be good to have the Java platform in strong hands and a few billion dollars in paper removed from the market.

Posted: 18 March 2009 10:49 AM #1

Someone has to buy them as they lost their way quite some time ago.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 18 March 2009 10:57 AM #2

This acquisition would be a relatively inexpensive way for IBM to eliminate a competitor in large enterprise market and do so relatively on the cheap.

Posted: 18 March 2009 03:29 PM #3

We’ve come a long way since the days of Sun negotiating to buy Apple C.

• Posted: 18 March 2009 11:46 PM #4

iBill - 18 March 2009 06:29 PM

I remember those days. My broker essentially told me I had to get with reality and Apple was a goner, the market was just waiting for the eventual buyer to emerge to pick up the pieces on the cheap.

Brokers were joking the new company after Sun acquired Apple would be called “Snapple.”

Things have indeed changed!

Posted: 19 March 2009 09:28 AM #5

That’s when I first purchased AAPL, in mid 1996 at a post-split price of about $7.

I am glad that Apple didn’t give in to the temptation of buying Sun. Given that the two companies serve such disparate customers and there is little overlap, I see little synergy and overlaps that could be streamlined. I believe that IBM will be a better custodian of Sun technology and heritage.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 19 March 2009 09:32 AM #6

DawnTreader - 19 March 2009 02:46 AM

I remember those days. My broker essentially told me I had to get with reality and Apple was a goner, the market was just waiting for the eventual buyer to emerge to pick up the pieces on the cheap.

Brokers were joking the new company after Sun acquired Apple would be called “Snapple.”

Things have indeed changed!

Now I feel old.  (Of course, I also feel that way when I remember using DOS 1.0 and programming in BASIC)  rolleyes

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 19 March 2009 10:03 AM #7

So, relating this back to AAPL, both JAVA and IBM are vendors of UNIX. If they combine, will both versions of UNIX continue to exist? If not, that would leave only IBM, HP and Apple as UNIX 3 certified.

This could actually be big news for Apple. It could provide the opportunity to get their servers into the corporate environment as an alternative to IBM and HP.

Looking at one past big purchase from IBM, when they bougth Lotus. At that time, Notes was a great application. (It’s still quite good) Since that time, IBM really hasn’t done much to market it or move it forward. Will the same happen to Java?