iPhone OS 3.0: Yippee or Yawn?

• Posted: 18 March 2009 10:41 AM

So…

What’s the verdict? Is iPhone OS 3.0 as announced a yippee or a yawn for users?

Posted: 18 March 2009 10:44 AM #1

I say mostly a yawner.  Most of the features announced were already anticipated by most.  In addition, I cannot understand why my 2G iPhone won’t be allowed to do MMS.  Kinda pisses me off.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 18 March 2009 11:11 AM #2

Tethering wasn’t mentioned, but I suspect it will be an ATT plan (extra cost) rather than a free Apple added value. They claim video would weaken the memory chips due to excessive writing. Other phones seem to be able to do it. I’m expecting Apple to post a video of the event some time today?perhaps they already have.

Posted: 18 March 2009 11:23 AM #3

willrob - 18 March 2009 02:11 PM

Tethering wasn’t mentioned, but I suspect it will be an ATT plan (extra cost) rather than a free Apple added value. They claim video would weaken the memory chips due to excessive writing. Other phones seem to be able to do it. I’m expecting Apple to post a video of the event some time today?perhaps they already have.

Tethering was mentioned in the Q&A as a feature to be available to the carriers so will probably cost.  As far as video being able to do it and doing it well are two different things.  The current Iphone hardware is capable of video but the quality is average if you Jailbreak here is a link to a review of the existing video app http://www.ismashphone.com/2008/08/cycorder-video.html.  Video is available of the event.

Posted: 18 March 2009 11:39 AM #4

willrob - 18 March 2009 02:11 PM

I’m expecting Apple to post a video of the event some time today?perhaps they already have.

Already have:  Here

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 18 March 2009 11:45 AM #5

kind of mixed - these updates are pretty basic and should have at the elast been part of the 3g roll out.

with that said, i cant wait to cut and paste babay!!!@

also i like the idea of spotlight and addtiona landscape mode options.

basic stuff really but better alt then never.

i think soem of the updates should help push into the corporate market as well

Posted: 18 March 2009 12:07 PM #6

Mixed. But the ability to create apps that link to external products and in-app purchases is big.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 18 March 2009 12:13 PM #7

I think it was a necessary update a kind of fit and finish to the iphone. I am excited for copy and paste, and spotlight, mms so cant wait till summer.

Posted: 18 March 2009 12:30 PM #8

Nice article in the AppleBlog from some developers point of view Here

A Runaway Train
    The strong consensus among all the developers that I spoke with is that the 3.0 announcements have renewed their confidence in the iPhone platform. With 30 million devices out there (iPhone and iPod touch) and the momentum of the app store, existing developers are probably more excited about the iPhone than ever. If I could share one insight, it would be to keep an eye on what happens with the new accessory communication options. I heard several rumblings that this opens up a whole new round of innovation for the iPhone.

While no one picked any one single software feature, API, or Core service as the Next Big Thing, everyone was thrilled with the breadth and depth of the changes to the SDK. A theme developed that these developers felt like the wide range of features announced today made a strong statement about Apple?s commitment to the future of the iPhone platform. A future that, frankly, I?m pretty excited to watch unfold as well.

Posted: 18 March 2009 12:56 PM #9

pats - 18 March 2009 03:30 PM

Nice article in the AppleBlog from some developers point of view Here

A Runaway Train
    The strong consensus among all the developers that I spoke with is that the 3.0 announcements have renewed their confidence in the iPhone platform ...

Do you intend to mean enhanced or increased?  Renewed implied was waned previously.

Apple approach has been to release “it just work” enhancements.  Unlike MSFT and Google, who always release unreliable products and features in the name of beta or is only a version 1.0 product.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 18 March 2009 01:49 PM #10

Can it be somewhere between a yawn and a yippee? See today’s, 18 March 2009, Joy of Tech

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 18 March 2009 03:54 PM #11

A couple of quotes from a discussion on Appleinsider worth considering..

Originally Posted by AppleInsider:
    More specifically, Apple announced that in-app purchases will allow developers to offer subscription content and provide the ability to sell new content and features in a simple and secure process from directly within their apps.

Originally Posted by GQB:
    Apple has just pulled off a coup here…
    At exactly the time that newspapers are boarding up shop, Apple comes out with a model that lets them charge for a subscription to content (and that’s not the same as offering subscriptions to a web-based newspaper.)
    I can even envision a model for actual reporters (remember them, as opposed to blog-bloviators?) who could syndicate their reporting using this model.

I think that, (not copy/paste) is why apple is up over 4 today.

• Posted: 18 March 2009 04:23 PM #12

Yippee, as expected.

Don’t make the mistake of evaluating this as if it was the next iPhone hardware release. That is yet to come and will probably involve further iPhone OS 3.0 features that we haven’t seen yet.

• Posted: 18 March 2009 04:28 PM #13

incorrigible - 18 March 2009 01:44 PM

...In addition, I cannot understand why my 2G iPhone won’t be allowed to do MMS.  Kinda pisses me off….

I suspect the reason is that the implementation may have been different for the original, and they didn’t see the point of doing the extra work for an obsolete (from Apple’s point of view) platform and an obsolescent duplicate technology (pictures sent over voice network instead of internet).

Posted: 18 March 2009 05:18 PM #14

Yippee because of in-app store.  A big money spinner.  30% cut off content, amazing.  Better than cut from download content from iTunes.  I’ve to wonder ... would content be limited to books and games or include video and TV shows or even music, what?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 18 March 2009 05:36 PM #15

The 3.0 software is H-U-G-E.

Game changing even more.

Apps talk to apps now, and ?in-app transactions? change everything, again.

Apple gets 30% off sales of all stuff through in-app transactions ... ebooks, add ons in games, other content that we know nothing about yet or has not even been thought up.  This is an earth shaking release of major proportions.

Everybody focused on copy-and-paste and MMS chicken shit have no idea what is going on here.