iPhone OS 3.0: Yippee or Yawn?

• Posted: 18 March 2009 05:44 PM #16

Mike in Helsinki - 18 March 2009 08:36 PM

The 3.0 software is H-U-G-E.

Game changing even more.

Apps talk to apps now, and ?in-app transactions? change everything, again.

Apple gets 30% off sales of all stuff through in-app transactions ... ebooks, add ons in games, other content that we know nothing about yet or has not even been thought up.  This is an earth shaking release of major proportions.

Everybody focused on copy-and-paste and MMS chicken shit have no idea what is going on here.

Oh ... almost forgot.  Apple has now TOTALLY REARRANGED THE ACCESSORIES BUSINESS MODEL.  Now, A HUGE AMOUNT of new accessories can be software programed to work directly with the iPhone ... never been done in history.

THIS SOFTWARE UPDATE IS EARTH SHAKING.

• Posted: 18 March 2009 06:50 PM #17

incorrigible - 18 March 2009 01:44 PM

In addition, I cannot understand why my 2G iPhone won’t be allowed to do MMS.  Kinda pisses me off.

I feel the same way, but I hope/expect a new iPhone on the market in June and since I didn’t upgrade the last time, this will be my opportunity for a valid excuse for doing so.

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

• Posted: 18 March 2009 06:52 PM #18

Mace - 18 March 2009 08:18 PM

Yippee because of in-app store.  A big money spinner.  30% cut off content, amazing.  Better than cut from download content from iTunes.  I’ve to wonder ... would content be limited to books and games or include video and TV shows or even music, what?

It would include video if the subscription is to a source app that video is part of. The Sports Illustrated demo during the event would be an app that would feature video. Unique video blogs, or those special features that TV shows stream to phones or host on a web site could also qualify. It’s possible that one could subscribe to a TV show that only can be viewed on the phone, so as not to compete with the iTunes model. It would save the iTunes download of the larger version and crunching into phone format?perfect while traveling where you may not have a computer to compress the video. Charles Dickens (and recently Steven King) used to publish novels chapter by chapter; Mark Twain did this also. You’d subscribe to the book which was then sent to you each month, chapter by chapter. The iPhone could re-create that type of publishing.

• Posted: 18 March 2009 08:26 PM #19

Mike in Helsinki - 18 March 2009 08:44 PM

I missed your comments. Apple changes the game while your friends at Nokia are still triing to get that music thing going.

When Steve Jobs said Apple was 2 years ahead of the rest of the world, he was not talking about music on phones. That’s what Apple did in 2001. We are talking about almost a decade of innovation in iTunesStore. It just get’s bigger almost every day.

800 M Apps in 8 month and a plattform with 30 M units shipped - not shabby as Jonathan Ive would say.

• Posted: 18 March 2009 11:05 PM #20

The video of the event is available here.

• Posted: 19 March 2009 06:48 AM #21

The 3.0 software is H-U-G-E.

Game changing even more.

Apps talk to apps now, and ?in-app transactions? change everything, again.

Apple gets 30% off sales of all stuff through in-app transactions ... ebooks, add ons in games, other content that we know nothing about yet or has not even been thought up.  This is an earth shaking release of major proportions.

Everybody focused on copy-and-paste and MMS chicken shit have no idea what is going on here.

30% is good for all in software transactions. Another model will be required to facilitate hard goods and food and general consumer transactions. I expect we will get there.

• Posted: 19 March 2009 06:55 AM #22

ghobi - 18 March 2009 11:26 PM
    Mike in Helsinki - 18 March 2009 08:44 PM

I missed your comments. Apple changes the game while your friends at Nokia are still triing to get that music thing going.

When Steve Jobs said Apple was 2 years ahead of the rest of the world, he was not talking about music on phones. That’s what Apple did in 2001. We are talking about almost a decade of innovation in iTunesStore. It just get’s bigger almost every day.

800 M Apps in 8 month and a plattform with 30 M units shipped - not shabby as Jonathan Ive would say.

Just think about ‘your friends’ at Motorola. Ha!

Posted: 19 March 2009 07:24 AM #23

I watched the keynote yesterday. There was some really good stuff in there. I think we’ll see a lot of in-app purchasing and help developers overcome the low initial price that they are forced to charge for their apps due to market pressure.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 19 March 2009 11:44 AM #24

Counternotions has an interesting view on 3.0 Here

While this garnered a collective yawn from the features-fetishists, barring a product introduction disaster, the iPhone OS 3.0 will do to iPhone-killers what it did do to iPod-killers half a decade ago. Apple consolidated its gains, marked its territory of 30M users+25K apps+800M downloads and built a very deep and wide moat around it. A moat so formidable that there?s not a single smartphone player capable of overcoming it.

• Posted: 19 March 2009 03:39 PM #25

CNET has a series of photos of 3.0 in action. Apparently they installed a beta version of their iPhone.

Posted: 21 March 2009 08:43 PM #26

I happen to be very excited about cut/copy/paste.  wink

Aside from that, iPhone 3.0 is huge, albeit not “revolutionary”.  Good business sense mixed in with Apple design and aesthetics, and of course their software expertise.  We’ve already hit critical mass as far as developers, mindshare and user base, this will only solidify Apple’s lead as long as the hardware keeps pace. 

As long as they can manage to keep iPhone 3.0’s user experience at just about the same level of responsiveness as 2.0 despite the new features, I’ll be very pleased.

[ Edited: 21 March 2009 08:47 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 21 March 2009 09:22 PM #27

willrob - 19 March 2009 06:39 PM

CNET has a series of photos of 3.0 in action. Apparently they installed a beta version of their iPhone.

Yes: Greek! Yippee!

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 21 March 2009 10:00 PM #28

Mav - 21 March 2009 11:43 PM

IAside from that, iPhone 3.0 is huge, albeit not “revolutionary”.

Opening up the connector and Bluetooth to access devices IS revolutionary.

Signature

• Posted: 22 March 2009 02:39 PM #29

iPhone 3.0 is indeed a leap forward.  Apple is further monitizing the device, enticing developers to pour their creative ideas and energy into a enthusiastic user base.  Allowing customers to purchase more content within a paid-for application is powerful.

Apple is aiming very high here folks, and we cannot see where this all ends up. 

Hardware + Software + User Base + iTunes Content (& $) = Bigger AAPL PPS.

Posted: 27 March 2009 12:28 PM #30

JavaScript Performance on iPhone OS 3.0 ?

From John Gruber Wayne Pan’s data
    A few weeks before the iPhone 3G and iPhone OS 2.0 shipped last summer, the WebKit team announced their new hot-rodded JavaScript engine ? then called SquirrelFish, now renamed Nitro. WebKit performance was dramatically improved in iPhone OS 2.0, both for HTML rendering and JavaScript execution, but the new SquirrelFish/Nitro JavaScript engine was far too new to be included yet. I.e. the significant JavaScript improvements were yet to come. I published a piece on this that included a simple recursion depth test to indicate whether a JavaScript interpreter might be Nitro.

Wayne Pan has braved the NDA waters and published JavaScript benchmarks for iPhone OS 3.0, and they are impressive ? with results ranging between 3? and 10? faster than iPhone OS 2.2. And I?ll confirm that MobileSafari on iPhone OS 3.0 passes my simple ?could be Nitro? recursion depth test.

In short, JavaScript performance on iPhone OS 3 is way faster.