OT: Ski Helmets

Posted: 19 March 2009 07:20 AM

Following the tragic death of the actress, Natasha Richardson, from a head injury sustained while on a skiing holiday, I was shocked to find out that she had not been wearing a helmet. I can’t stress enough how important it is to wear a ski helmet when on the slopes. I’m an experienced skier and still take the occasional tumble.

Hitting your head on trees, ice or rocks is never something you plan to do, but can still happen nonetheless. If you are going on the slopes, please get a helmet.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 19 March 2009 07:54 AM #1

I think that a helmet on the bunny hill (where she fell) might be a little too much. Do we really need to be bubble rapped?

Was the fall the cause of death, or was there an underlying cause that was triggered by this fall? Was the underlying issue the cause of the fall?

Posted: 19 March 2009 08:07 AM #2

She fell and hit her head. The blow to the head was the direct cause of death.

As to should we be bubble-wrapped? I’m not advocating that wearing a helmet should be mandatory, but there are probably some resorts that might be considering it as a condition of being allowed on the slopes. I’m all in favour of you having a choice. If you wish to increase the likelihood of serious injury to yourself, then be my guest.

I think a lot of people don’t appreciate the risks of skiing and snowboarding. And as to whether a helmet is required on a bunny hill, you can fall anywhere. The fact that she was on the bunny hill makes no difference. In fact, bunny hills can be a lot more icy than elsewhere on the mountain. A bunny hill is where most falls occur as the people using them tend to be beginners who are more likely to fall.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 19 March 2009 08:18 AM #3

Well

If she would have be there (Mont-Tremblant Quebec) in a year or so, she would have had an helmet, as the government is looking into making it mandatory.

I’m not saying i’m for or against it. I can understand the motivation to have an helmet (you would never see me on my bike without one) but on the other hand making it mandatory seems a little too much. You need to educate people first…

Posted: 19 March 2009 09:01 AM #4

I have to agree with others: a life lived in bubble wrap is not a life worth living. We will always fall or get sick. It’s what we do in between that is called living. People should be taught to be responsible for themselves. Responsibility for others could (but preferably shouldn’t)  be the realm of regulations.

Whether to wear a helmet on a ski slope should be entirely up to the individual. If that is made mandatory, next step will be life vests at the beach.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 19 March 2009 10:19 AM #5

Yes, a helmet would have been appropriate. I’m a motorcycle safety instructor, I teach helmet use, and I always wear a full face helmet when riding a motorcycle. I tend to agree that helmet use should not be mandatory. My only complaint about lack of helmet use is the cost to society if one is injured and can no longer function productively.

This may sound callous, and I don’t intend it to be, but this is nothing more than natural selection at work. If I am killed as a result of the risks I choose to take (I also perform professional fireworks displays), I am a registered organ donor with my state, and someone else’s life will benefit.

Posted: 19 March 2009 10:33 AM #6

CaptainBoom - 19 March 2009 01:19 PM

Yes, a helmet would have been appropriate. I’m a motorcycle safety instructor, I teach helmet use, and I always wear a full face helmet when riding a motorcycle. I tend to agree that helmet use should not be mandatory. My only complaint about lack of helmet use is the cost to society if one is injured and can no longer function productively.

A motorcycle helmet makes sense, not a ski helmet; or at least to me. The injuries sustained by falling from a motorcycle accident can be far more serious than a skiing accident. Somewhere there is a limit to the risk/reward (or enjoyment) ratios of our activities. These limits should be personal decisions, not decisions of some intrusive authority.

[ Edited: 19 March 2009 10:39 AM by awcabot ]

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 19 March 2009 10:42 AM #7

awcabot - 19 March 2009 01:33 PM

The injuries sustained by falling from a motorcycle accident can be far more serious than a skiing accident.

You can die doing both.

Signature

Posted: 19 March 2009 10:46 AM #8

wheeles - 19 March 2009 01:42 PM
    awcabot - 19 March 2009 01:33 PM

The injuries sustained by falling from a motorcycle accident can be far more serious than a skiing accident.

You can die doing both.

You will die. How do you want to live until then? If you chose, wear a helmet, always, even in bed, with the wife. I prefer not to.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 19 March 2009 10:55 AM #9

awcabot - 19 March 2009 01:46 PM

You will die. How do you want to live until then? If you chose, wear a helmet, always, even in bed, with the wife. I prefer not to.

And I prefer not to increase the chance of a head injury while skiing when I don’t have to. It doesn’t adversely affect my skiing ability or experience, so why do people get so upset about the concept of wearing a helmet? Heck, it even keeps my head warm in what can be very cold conditions.

Signature

Posted: 19 March 2009 11:06 AM #10

wheeles - 19 March 2009 01:55 PM

And I prefer not to increase the chance of a head injury while skiing when I don’t have to. It doesn’t adversely affect my skiing ability or experience, so why do people get so upset about the concept of wearing a helmet? Heck, it even keeps my head warm in what can be very cold conditions.

Don’t your feathers work properly in icy weather?  tongue laugh

I don’t know about others, but as I have mentioned before, the chances of severe head injury whilst skiing are minimal compared to motor-biking. Everybody has their own level of personal risk tolerance. I feel that in the case of skiing helmets, a line is crossed.

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 19 March 2009 12:23 PM #11

i once watched a TV report on german TV about skihelmet use and the reporters there cited some study that found that wearing a helmet on skis makes more sense than wearing a helmet on bike (not motorcycle). This was due to the fact that collisions on skis are far more often and falls on head are also more often. When you fall from bike you mostly fall on your hands or sideways (except when a car hits you and then you have worse problems).

I am all for wearing protective gear on slopes. I wear a helmet and back protector and when i am riding without those i actually feel uneasy at faster speeds or on a crowded slope. I guess its just a matter of what you get used to. The back protector already saved my back once.

• Posted: 19 March 2009 04:07 PM #12

Not much more to say here - I’m undecided as to whether they should be mandatory, but come on! a bubble wrapped life??

I wouldn’t ride my mountain bike without one, go climbing outside without one, or get on a horse without one. What the heck makes me arrogant enough to think I won’t fall skiing? Have you people who say the risks aren’t considerable even SEEN a bad skiing accident?? It’s not pretty.

So I wear one. Plus they keep you warm. It’s hardly bubble wrapping, I can’t believe that comment!

Bubble wrapping would be forcing people to wear them on nights out drinking - after all that’s how many people die. Not the punch to the head - but when they are too drunk to protect their fall and head hits the ground. So I was told more than once anyway…
    Apologies if too aggressive, but (Sorry! wink ), this is a no-brainer for me.

Posted: 19 March 2009 06:59 PM #13

Nice topic. Back when I was rock climbing, I used to get ribbed by the other climbers for wearing a helmet. Until the day one of the lead climbers sent a couple hundred kilos of rock headed our way. Took a couple of hits myself, thankfully nobody was seriously injured. The next weekend there were quite a few stylish helmets on the pitch.  Same thing I say to people who gripe about the ‘high’ cost of a good climbing rope: Is that $50 you save worth the cost of your LIFE? Hey man, your choice.

I’d hate to see the government mandate it, but at the same time you should not expect them to pay for 50 more years of life support either, should you choose to go without a helmet. (Darn libertarians on the ‘board! smile )

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 19 March 2009 07:58 PM #14

Rock climbing, mountain biking or horse riding are dangerous pursuits and warrant safety measures. But skiing? Come on, you fall on snow, fluffy stuff. Injuries due to twisted knees are far more likely (happened to me) or hypothermia, but head injuries? Unless you are doing some wild stuff, skiing is slightly more dangerous than walking across the street.

I never saw someone wearing a ski helmet in the Alps.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 19 March 2009 09:05 PM #15

awcabot - 19 March 2009 10:58 PM

I never saw someone wearing a ski helmet in the Alps.

I saw plenty when I was there last year.

Signature