AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 25 March 2009 10:35 AM #16

Winterpool - 25 March 2009 01:32 PM

I think where I went wrong was Thursday - Friday (especially Thursday afternoon) when AAPL and S&P went in opposite directions.  I seem to recall this happening the last rally cycle as well: instead of recognising Apple’s strength when this occurs, I think to myself, ‘S&P is going down, AAPL must follow soon’, and fail to buy (I should have heeded Litespeed’s bullishness last week to treat any drop to 100ish a buying opportunity).

Kiwi, did Art or anyone else seem to think S&P was in any jeopardy of losing 800 today?  I should think this morning should feel rather bullish given the news.

Art’s comments are up in the Daily Cashin thread. He was optimistic considering we held 804 yesterday.

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

• Posted: 25 March 2009 10:46 AM #17

the stalwarts of yesterday, aapl and gs are weak today. It might be early to say, but the markets could be heading south later.

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

Posted: 25 March 2009 10:46 AM #18

VIX making LOD’s as I type…

Posted: 25 March 2009 10:47 AM #19

Meanwhile, we’ll never buy a new car again:

The median age of cars in operation hit a record 9.4 years in 2008, up from 9.2 in 2006 and 2007, while the percentage of cars taken out of circulation fell to 5.1 percent, from 5.5 percent in 2007, according to figures released on March 3 by the research firm R. L. Polk & Company.

?People are hunkering down,? said Dave Goebel, a consultant with R. L. Polk. ?There is great uncertainty about what the future holds, so people are going to avoid anything out of pocket.?
    So many drivers are holding on to their cars and trucks that franchise dealers in 2008 for the first time secured more of their vehicles through auctions than any other means, according to Manheim Consulting, a unit of Manheim, the auto auction company.

_____

Disclosure: I own F.

_____

Incidentally, what I find more telling about the above stats is that even when times where good, there was a growing gap between the haves and the have much less.

Off Topic Rant: Why can’t we code [indent][/indent] or [ul][/ul]? It is literally one radio button that needs to be checked in the forum set up section of the Admin section. Go ahead, press the button.

[ Edited: 25 March 2009 10:51 AM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 25 March 2009 11:00 AM #20

kiwitrader - 25 March 2009 01:46 PM

VIX making LOD’s as I type…

Follow Chartguy in on his trade and buy August puts on VIX in anticipation of capitalizing on the reinstatement of the uptick rule which will

1) Lead to a reduction of uncertainty thus the VIX will likely fall back to where it belongs and the increase of the value of puts.

2) With less volatility (a Wall Street code work that means “going down” not “up and down”), the market will have a headwind removed and should begin to price out oversold conditions. At the very least reinstatement of the uptick rule will make it impossible to see 65% of daily volume being short like we’ve seen in some of the banking stocks.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 25 March 2009 11:02 AM #21

Eric Landstrom - 25 March 2009 01:47 PM

The median age of cars in operation hit a record 9.4 years in 2008, up from 9.2 in 2006 and 2007, while the percentage of cars taken out of circulation fell to 5.1 percent, from 5.5 percent in 2007, according to figures released on March 3 by the research firm R. L. Polk & Company.

?People are hunkering down,? said Dave Goebel, a consultant with R. L. Polk. ?There is great uncertainty about what the future holds, so people are going to avoid anything out of pocket.?

Relieved to see the US consumer start saving. We wouldn’t be in this mess if there was a cushion of savings to relieve the occasional hiccups on the road to the American Dream.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 25 March 2009 11:02 AM #22

New-Home Sales Jumped 4.7% in February, Much Better Than Expected.

Signature

-John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 25 March 2009 11:03 AM #23

Whew, glad I bought SSO this morning.  At least I have something to ride up!  rolleyes

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

• Posted: 25 March 2009 11:06 AM #24

ConMan - 25 March 2009 02:02 PM

It’s amazing how humble we’ve become. We have ok durable goods numbers and the 2nd worst housing numbers ever (yes better than expected, but still) - and the Dow is up 170 points.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 25 March 2009 11:11 AM #25

This headline on CNBC.com is worrisome:

“Dollar Drops After Geithner Says US Is Open to Idea of Global Currency”

Signature

-John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 25 March 2009 11:15 AM #26

Plato - 25 March 2009 02:06 PM
    ConMan - 25 March 2009 02:02 PM

It’s amazing how humble we’ve become. We have ok durable goods numbers and the 2nd worst housing numbers ever (yes better than expected, but still) - and the Dow is up 170 points.

And even with that pop and the better than expected data, AAPL stuck below 108. Might be time to dump my shares here.

Signature

-John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 25 March 2009 11:16 AM #27

awcabot - 25 March 2009 02:02 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 25 March 2009 01:47 PM

Relieved to see the US consumer start saving. We wouldn’t be in this mess if there was a cushion of savings to relieve the occasional hiccups on the road to the American Dream.

Understand that saving in the long term is a good thing but that saving and spending less is exactly what the bears want to see. By saving and spending less, more people lose their jobs from the resulting loss of commerce. For this reason the March 23rd, 2009 cover of Newsweek had an image of Uncle Sam pointing his finger with the headline, “I WANT YOU TO START SPENDING: Invest in America?Before it’s too Late.”

Link to article Stop Saving Now!

Signature

• Posted: 25 March 2009 11:17 AM #28

ConMan - 25 March 2009 02:11 PM

I also think Obama’s budget plan is worrisome - with a debt of more than $3T, guess what that does to the inflation and the dollar over the next 3-5 years!

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

• Posted: 25 March 2009 11:23 AM #29

Eric Landstrom - 25 March 2009 02:16 PM

For this reason the March 23rd, 2009 cover of Newsweek had an image of Uncle Sam pointing his finger with the headline, “I WANT YOU TO START SPENDING: Invest in America?Before it’s too Late.”

Link to article Stop Saving Now!

The only problem is that, how can you spend when you don’t have money (no jobs - no money!). Oh, I forgot, use your home equity (if you have any left) and max out your credit cards!

Sorry - end of rant! It’s just boggles my mind sometimes. I was raised that if you don’t have the money, you don’t buy it, period!

Signature

Posted: 25 March 2009 11:25 AM #30

ConMan - 25 March 2009 02:11 PM

Normally we wait at least 12 years before confirming but Geithner has indeed confirmed that he is an idiot. At any-rate, every time the US economy tanks people call for removal of the US dollar as the world’s reserve currency.

Signature