Proving the power of the Mac

Posted: 28 March 2009 04:38 PM

+

When reading about the new Microsoft ad (which I’ve not yet seen), I kept thinking: When will Apple ever show off what all can be done on a Mac? You know, like a “Made on a Mac” ad campaign, or perhaps website, where real people showed off how they earn their livings and create wonderful things on a Mac? Apple’s Creative Pro section does this, but the stories there have a preaching-to-the-choir feel: Most people working at a agencies and in Hollywood (like those featured there) are already using Macs. I’m thinking about featuring stories from more “everyday” people.

To use myself as an example, I recently created my first major 3D animated promotional video. It’s 90 seconds long, and can be seen on the Home page of the II-VI Infrared website (in Flash streaming video format):

http://www.iiviinfrared.com/

Tools I used included Maxon Cinema 4D, Adobe Illustrator, Final Cut Studio, GarageBand, a $20 USB mic (hence the P-popping…need to redo the audio with a better mic!), and QuickTime Pro.

The Mac used for the 3D modeling, animation, and rendering: a 24” 3.06GHz iMac.

At two different points in the video, when the laser is cutting through the steel and sparks are flying, Cinema 4D was calculating the paths of 30,000 particles at a time. Then, of course, rendering those particles (with motion blur), as well as rendering optics flying through the air with reflection and refraction. All of this…on a consumer-level iMac!

Also of important note: I have no formal training in 3D animation. (I have a BA in English, truth be told. That’s it.) Yet I was able to figure it all out, on my own. That’s the empowerment of using a Mac: You can figure out how to do things because you don’t have to figure out how to keep the computer up and running. I have always maintained that that’s the true beauty of the Mac: It is an empowering tool.

Ever since I saw Tron in 1982 I dreamed of being able to create animation on the computer. Now I have, and my video is considered such an accurate model of how a CO2 laser system works that it’s even being used as a training tool at II-VI.

So…is it about time that Apple start promoting what can be done on Macs, beyond iLife? Or, as with their own Creative Pro stories, would it be more of simply preaching to the choir?

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

• Posted: 30 March 2009 12:50 PM #1

http://www.apple.com/pro/

Posted: 30 March 2009 01:03 PM #2

I want Apple to bring back the Think Different campaign.  It would be a great time to do so.

Signature

Tron is cool

• Posted: 30 March 2009 01:50 PM #3

Sorry, I glossed over the final sentence in your post, Mac Genius. Never mind.

• Posted: 30 March 2009 03:48 PM #4

mrmgraphics - 28 March 2009 07:38 PM

I recently created my first major 3D animated promotional video. It’s 90 seconds long, and can be seen on the Home page of the II-VI Infrared website (in Flash streaming video format)

I would love to see your video but it doesn’t appear for me—just a blank space. I tried two different systems here, one on Leopard with Safari 3, one on Tiger with Safari 4). Is it just me?

Posted: 30 March 2009 04:22 PM #5

“Lauren” is an actress!  Hahaha!

http://i.gizmodo.com/5190861/we-found-microsofts-lauren-and-shes-an-actress

[ Edited: 30 March 2009 05:43 PM by dlstarr7 ]

Signature

Tron is cool

Posted: 30 March 2009 05:41 PM #6

deasys - 30 March 2009 06:48 PM

I recently created my first major 3D animated promotional video. It’s 90 seconds long, and can be seen on the Home page of the II-VI Infrared website (in Flash streaming video format)

I would love to see your video but it doesn’t appear for me—just a blank space. I tried two different systems here, one on Leopard with Safari 3, one on Tiger with Safari 4). Is it just me?

I too couldn’t see it

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 30 March 2009 08:53 PM #7

Sir Harry Flashman - 30 March 2009 08:41 PM
    deasys - 30 March 2009 06:48 PM

I too couldn’t see it

Thank you. I’m hoping the OP will return to let us know what the problem might be.

• Posted: 31 March 2009 12:30 AM #8

for everyone like me who hasn’t SEEN the ad:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIS6G-HvnkU

• Posted: 31 March 2009 01:39 AM #9

Viewed the source code. The .swf file is missing but you can download the .flv here. Nice work!
    http://www.iiviinfrared.com/sites/default/files/II-VI_3D_640_032209-01.flv

• Posted: 07 April 2009 11:59 AM #10

Hello all,

Susan here, i am a complete newbie here so please bare with me, i like this place a lot only for the fact that its really cool & clean i love the mac info posted as well.

Cheers!!!