TMO Broken on Internet Explorer (again)

• Posted: 02 April 2009 12:41 PM

Hi all,

I’m on a P4 running XP SP2, with IE 6 updated to the latest.  When I try to read the editorial “Steve Jobs Should Not Come Back to Apple” and “Blog Bits: From GPS to Conficker” all I get are the ads, with nothing but white space where the content should be.

Thought I’d wait until April 2 before I mentioned it.

Signature

A simile is like a metaphor.

Posted: 03 April 2009 06:01 PM #1

Lavode - 02 April 2009 03:41 PM

Hi all,

I’m on a P4 running XP SP2, with IE 6 updated to the latest.  When I try to read the editorial “Steve Jobs Should Not Come Back to Apple” and “Blog Bits: From GPS to Conficker” all I get are the ads, with nothing but white space where the content should be.

Thought I’d wait until April 2 before I mentioned it.

Thanks for the heads-up, Lavode.  This is now fixed.  Please do let us know if you find anything else like this!

Warm regards,
    -Dave

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 16 April 2009 06:51 PM #2

As a matter of fact, I am seeing the same thing on the “Details of Intel?s New Nehalem CPU in the Mac Pro” page.  Interesting, if I resize the page using the Restore Up/Down button, I can get the text to appear.

Signature

Posted: 16 April 2009 07:06 PM #3

Lavode - 16 April 2009 09:51 PM

As a matter of fact, I am seeing the same thing on the “Details of Intel?s New Nehalem CPU in the Mac Pro” page.  Interesting, if I resize the page using the Restore Up/Down button, I can get the text to appear.

Are you on IE6?  Or a different browser?

Signature

Posted: 16 April 2009 07:09 PM #4

IE 6 updated to the latest.

For the record, this phrase is an oxymoron—IE6 is NOT the latest, and support for it on the web is waning fast.  We will continue to be aware of IE6 here and attempt to ensure that TMO continues to be viewable on it.  But it’s a broken browser that’s not at all standards-compliant, and if you’re using it you need to consider upgrading to the latest release version of IE or using Safari or Firefox on your Windows machines.

Again, we’ll try our best for all of you, but support for IE6 is not something we can guarantee ad infinitum and you will start missing out on new features we add.

Signature

Posted: 16 April 2009 07:55 PM #5

Moving this to the Announcement, Suggestion, Comment forum.

• Posted: 17 April 2009 12:42 PM #6

Dave Hamilton - 16 April 2009 10:09 PM

IE 6 updated to the latest.

For the record, this phrase is an oxymoron—IE6 is NOT the latest…

Perhaps I should have said “updated to the latest patch available for IE 6 although it isn’t the most current version of IE, but work won’t allow us to upgrade to IE7 because it causes problems with our systems, and I like to go to the Macobserver on my breaks when incidental internet use is allowed.”

I will try to be this clear in future bug reports.

Signature

• Posted: 26 May 2009 06:30 PM #7

Lavode - 17 April 2009 03:42 PM

but work won’t allow us to upgrade to IE7 because it causes problems with our systems, and I like to go to the Macobserver on my breaks when incidental internet use is allowed

I don’t know if installing another browser is an option for you, I’m in the same boat re: officially supported browser, but I have the windows version of Safari 4 beta installed for internet use, and use the officially supported one for intranet use.

Obviously some places lock things down more than others as far as installing stuff goes.

Posted: 30 May 2009 07:58 PM #8

Funny that they lock things down this way with the least secure web browser out there.

Lavode, ask your IT department to install Firefox instead, IE has flaws the size of garage doors.  :D

Signature

Early 2009 24” iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 640 GB hard drive, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850, Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7
    Canon EOS 50D, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro