“Hello, I’m a PC Hottie” - Meet Lauren and her other pals. Advertising what, HP??

Posted: 05 April 2009 06:40 PM

Apple 2.0
    Mac news from outside the reality distortion field
    By Philip Elmer-DeWitt

All about Microsoft?s ?Lauren?

laurendelong-6aHer hair is red, her eyes dark brown, her physique slim. She stands 5?2? in her stocking feet and weighs 113 lbs. in her birthday suit.

Her name is Lauren De Long, and she set a million geek hearts aflutter with her spunky performance in the now famous ?you find it, you keep it? PC ad, in which she chose an HP (HPQ) Pavillion running Microsoft (MSFT) Windows Vista Home Edition over any computer in the Apple (AAPL) store.

She also set off Apple 2.0?s hottest flame war ? 402 comments and counting ? with the line ?I?m just not cool enough to be a Mac person.? (See How Microsoft put Apple owners on the defensive.)

She was supposed to be an ordinary American who answered a Craigslist ad for a market-and-research job and to her surprise found herself starring in a multi-million dollar Microsoft advertising campaign.

[img]
    [/img]

But a little inspired sleuthing by the wife of a Seattle-based investigative reporter turned up her film and television credits, her Now Casting bio and resume, her IMDB listing, her MySpace photo gallery and her official website.

Before donning dorky glasses and a green scarf to go laptop shopping with Steve Ballmer?s money, De Long played a feed store clerk in a 2001 TV movie called The Retrievers, Darla in a 2003 film called American Grace, Grace in The Answer Yes (2006), head nurse in This Hollow Sacrament (2006), Samantha in 99 Pieces (2007), jacuzzi girl in 7eventy 5ive (2007), Molly in Ladybugs (2007) and Emmy Kyle in Hatched (2008).

She ?provides the terror hottie mojo? in 99 Pieces, according to TerrorHotties.com. (link)

Her next gig, according to Todd Bishop?s Microsoft Blog, is a 7-Eleven ad. ?This is the perfect shoot for me,? she says, ?because I LOVE junk food.?

She has also been booked to play Jessica in Humdrummer, a feature film. And in Zig Zag, a short pitched for the film festivals, she plays Amy, a ?sexy and passionate criminal who?s double-crossing ways backfire on her.?

A few more things about Lauren: She loves to eat. She has a puppy named Bruce. She enjoys dark chocolate and a good glass of port. She loves the winter because she gets to stay inside by a fire. She prefers walking to running. She loves the lake and laying out in the sun. One of her favorite things to do is host a great party. She is awesome at the BBQ. She enjoys deep conversations and good debates. She is stubborn as hell but quick to apologize if she is wrong. She is a romantic. She hopes that someday she will be as accomplished as her mom. She has six brothers and no sisters. She still sleeps with her Teddy Bear. And holding a baby always tears her up. (link)

For more headshots and stills, click here.

Below the fold: the 60-second ad that made her Internet famous.

Photo ? 2009 Greg Nystrom. Posted with permission.

SOURCE LINK:-> http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/03/31/all-about-microsofts-lauren/

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 05 April 2009 06:46 PM #1

What is REALLY funny about this new “tragically shallow” campaign, is it is supposedly a MICROSOFT commerical, and they AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE actually mentioning that they DO NOT EVEN MAKE COMPUTERS, and don’t actually even mention that they are DIVERTING you away from their horrid operating system.

More to come, I thought someone else would do this here before now, so I refrained, but after watching the TECH SAVVY guy in commercial #2 I couldn’t resist, especially on a Sunday with no financial news to mull over…

Oh, Lauren really IS a hottie, I suspect Hollyweird will recognize her “buzzability” now, after all, Julia Roberts is aging, and a new REDHEAD for the hearthrob generation is on their radar….this commercial I predict will send LAURA, if not MICROSOFT into another price bracket!

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 05 April 2009 06:51 PM #2

MEET -> ‘HOTTIE GUY/COOL DUDE/TECHIE ON A BUDGET!”

WATCH COMMERICIAL:-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LzcD5vSH80&feature=player_embedded

QUOTED ARTICLE LINK:-> http://technologizer.com/2009/04/04/another-microsoft-ad-that-ignores-windows/

Signature

Posted: 05 April 2009 06:58 PM #3

Oh, remember, he stressed BATTERY LIFE and SIZE didn’t he, more than once?

What did he get?

The HP is more than 50% heavier and 75% thicker than the MacBook and has only half the battery life.

Well, strange, our Giampaolo’s HP doesn’t even stand up to his own stated goals when starting out (portability and battery life. remember?

Signature

Posted: 05 April 2009 07:01 PM #4

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let *ME* write the counter ads that Apple just MUST run now….

My head is spinning with the endless SPOOFS you could wring out of these two alone…

GO GET ‘EM APPLE ADVERTISING, they handed you a PLUM on a PLATINUM PLATTER!

A few along the lines of RABID HUMOR that this one pulled off….

Signature

Posted: 05 April 2009 07:06 PM #5

Here’s balanced report on the MS ads.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 06 April 2009 12:00 AM #6

She’s darn cute though!  The ad will be successful imho. with a certain crowd but will be mostly undone with ad number 2.  Tech savvy?!!!  LMAO!

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 06 April 2009 02:10 AM #7

AppleInsider has an item by item rebuke of the second ad here.

Posted: 06 April 2009 11:31 AM #8

Microsoft’s Lauren ad faked say bloggers

By Prince McLean

Accusations are flying within the blogosphere that Microsoft simply faked its latest ad portraying a real buyer named Lauren shopping for a 17” notebook under $1000, who supposedly couldn’t find what she was looking for in the Apple Store.

Bloggers forensically studied the advertisement in slow motion, pointing out that the shots of Lauren entering and leaving the store appear to have been shot all at once; the surrounding people walking past in both shots appear in the same place. This must mean, they conclude, that Lauren never entered the store looking for the $1000 17” notebook, and that the ad simply included a scene at “the Mac store” to offer Apple some additional free advertising.

Of course, it doesn’t really matter if Lauren walked into the store and spent any length of time there. The entire ad was contrived by definition. Lauren wasn’t given money to find the ideal computer for her needs, she was given a specific budget and told to find a specific hardware feature that Apple does not carry.

Apple only sells one 17” notebook with a high quality, full resolution screen. No PC maker ships anything comparable to the MacBook Pro for under $1000. As the ad points out however, there are plenty of low quality, low resolution 17” screens available from PC makers trying to dangle low prices in front of consumers in the overcrowded, low differentiation market for low end, generic PCs that ship with Windows Vista.

Why would Microsoft’s production company waste its time following Lauren around the Apple Store with a camera, when they knew full well that the PC definition they’d cooked up wasn’t one of the three simple notebook family members Apple offers? And why would Lauren, a member of the Screen Actor’s Guild, waste her time acting out a role that she wasn’t even making union wages on?

Lauren may well have simply been looking for a free computer on Craigslist, and not intending to act out a fake role for Microsoft. After all, pretty much everyone in LA is in the SAG, just as everyone in San Francisco is a DJ. Nobody has uncovered Microsoft’s ad script telling Lauren to pretend to fruitlessly search among Apple’s notebook offerings for a period of time. The company didn’t need to do that; it merely wanted to create the suggestion that Lauren failed to find a specific combination of features because she “wasn’t cool enough for a Mac,” and that Apple’s products are too elite and smart and customers should fear them with angry resentment.

You gotta see the ANALYTIC VID, priceless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5PBzb1dJc&feature=player_embedded

Signature

• Posted: 06 April 2009 01:51 PM #9

Is the Apple press falling into Microsoft?s trap?

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/04/05/is-the-apple-press-falling-into-microsofts-trap/

Posted: 06 April 2009 05:31 PM #10

This was posted on the other article about the ads.

http://www.edibleapple.com/if-microsoft-made-a-candy-commercial-parody-video/

Love it!!

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 13 May 2009 08:20 AM #11

artman1033 - 13 May 2009 10:57 AM

3 new GET A MAC ads!

LOL I *love* “Elimination”.  Those ads just make me smile.  I have actually BEEN the person in the “Customer Care” ad…that was our very first computer, a Compaq…after three days on the phone with Compaq, then Microsoft, then Compaq, then Microsoft…you get the picture…trying to figure out why the scanner we purchased wouldn’t work.  We looked like PC in the commercial.  LOL   We finally just returned the Compaq and bought a Mac…we’ve never gone back.  grin

Signature

Steph :apple:
    Id quot circumiret, circumveniat

Posted: 13 May 2009 12:09 PM #12

sstenner - 13 May 2009 11:20 AM
    artman1033 - 13 May 2009 10:57 AM

3 new GET A MAC ads!

LOL I *love* “Elimination”.  Those ads just make me smile.  I have actually BEEN the person in the “Customer Care” ad…that was our very first computer, a Compaq…after three days on the phone with Compaq, then Microsoft, then Compaq, then Microsoft…you get the picture…trying to figure out why the scanner we purchased wouldn’t work.  We looked like PC in the commercial.  LOL   We finally just returned the Compaq and bought a Mac…we’ve never gone back.  grin

I agree Steph.  The Elimination ad was brilliant.  I LOL more then any other ad.  Apple has a real hit on their hands with this series and the more Microsoft fights back the better Apple looks.

Posted: 13 May 2009 01:05 PM #13

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 13 May 2009 09:48 PM #14

No no no

PC Choice Chat is the best.  It shows how PC (cough : PC users) can be delusional.

:D