3-Tier iTunes Pricing: What Do You Think?

Posted: 14 April 2009 03:27 AM #31

DT- I hear ya and am certainly not defending butthead artists.  Having many years of involvement with the music industry, I know what you are talking about.  They can be not only arrogant but outright abusive at times.  Still, the system is not producing good music at all and so I consider it pretty much broken.

Hey - BTW….I’ve been uploading artwork for all of my albums.  Most of my music is ripped from cd’s (a few iTunes Plus downloads).  I’m still looking for a good way to rip my decent-sized vinyl collection efficiently.  But did you know you can drag your high-res artwork to the little album cover window and make it permanent for an album?  Great, once you have high-res files from a place like:

http://www.cover-paradies.to/?

But WAIT, there’s more….you can upload additional pages such as liner notes and the back of the album cover etc.  iTunes picks it all up.  VERY cool.  You should do this when in grid mode and when viewing albums not songs or it will only apply the artwork to the individual song.

For a geeky music nut like me, this is just AWESOME.

EDIT: ...and you gotta try out GimmeSomeTune - especially if you have an iPhone and care about lyrics at all.

[ Edited: 14 April 2009 03:44 AM by Mayor Quimby ]

Signature

The ends don’t justify the means…

Posted: 14 April 2009 10:26 AM #32

This is a good place for Cover Art as well:

http://www.albumartexchange.com/

“Well I’ve always had a deep respect,
    And I mean that most sincerely.
    The band is just fantastic,
    that is really what I think.
    Oh by the way, which one’s Pink?

“And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?
    We call it Riding the Gravy Train.

We’re just knocked out.
    We heard about the sell out.
    You gotta get an album out.
    You owe it to the people.
    We’re so happy we can hardly count. ...”

Signature

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company…

• Posted: 14 April 2009 11:50 AM #33

Mayor Quimby - 14 April 2009 06:27 AM

Still, the system is not producing good music at all and so I consider it pretty much broken.

In my era in the industry the culprit was the lock hold the majors had on distribution. In order to make the economics work due to the high costs of distribution (fees, manufacturing expense, promotion expenses including listening posts, in-store circulars, price promotions to retailers, radio promotion, etc.), labels were compelled to release *crap* in order to maintain some kind of market presence and distribution clout.

I remember developing analytical data indicating the break even points required in terms of volume to cover costs due to these built-in costs and the numbers were staggering.

iTunes delivers a vastly different market and distribution model and it makes sense as to why the majors resisted it (though the resistance was and is economically irrational but threatened the perception of control).

Another culprit is the concentration of radio station ownership and reported playlists. Many of these decisions are no longer made at the station level and local programmers and music directors have little or no discretion in what’s reported as played and the frequency of recurrents (which, by the way, is the phase in which radio is apt to boost sales).

While this works to the benefit of established artists releasing new tracks, it works against independent artists and labels.

I’m a bit surprised we haven’t seen more advertising for iTunes-based distribution but that will come as the majors finally understand iTunes is make it or break it and the promotion dollars move more to Apple than traditional means of distribution.

Theoretically iTunes has the potential to reshape not only distribution but access to music in a way not seen since the transition from sheet music to recorded music back in the 1950’s.