Admittedly off topic, but a must see ....

• Posted: 09 April 2009 11:34 AM

Hey, I breaking some rules here.  Delete if necessary, but ...

Here is a live web cam of a rare White-Tailed Eagle nesting in the Finnish archipelago.  Expecting a baby eagle any day.

Something to enjoy before Easter.  I understand that this particular eagle is know to invest in winning stocks, loves iPhone.

Here is the link to the live cam:
    http://natureit.net/site/saaksikamera.php?cam=seili-wide&refresh=15

And here is the story from the largest Finnish newspaper, the Helsingin Sanomat:

White-tailed eagle pair expecting offspring

The white-tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla), also known as the sea eagle or white-tailed sea-eagle, can be found in the coastal areas of Finland and in Lapland.
    In late winter some white-tailed eagles chose the nest of ospreys (also known as the sea hawk) as their home in Nauvo in the province of Western Finland.

The events in the nest are being watched by a webcam, and the first egg is expected to be laid in a couple of days. If all goes well, this would be the first time in Finland when white-tailed eagles produce eggs in front of the camera.
        Another exciting development is to be expected in the near future, when the original owners of the nest, the ospreys, come back and discover that the white-tailed eagles have invaded their home during the winter.
        In previous years the ospreys have returned to their nest during the second week of April.
        As a rule, the white-tailed eagles can be seen in the nest every day.
        ?Sometimes it appears likely that they are mating, while sometimes they do not seem to do anything?, says project manager P?ivi Simi from Saaristomeri.info, a webpage offering information about the Archipelago Sea. Saaristomeri.info is a project of the Turku University of Applied Sciences.
        ?Carrying in twigs, the sea eagles have been redecorating the nest in the course of the spring?, Simi notes.

Migrating ospreys have already been spotted in the Gulf of Finland, Simi reports further. However, there is also a risk that the original owners of the nest have been lost in transit.
        Already last year sea eagles were also seen moving around the nest in Nauvo in early spring.
        ?But when the ospreys arrived, they chased the sea eagles out of the nest and started their own nesting quite normally. As the original owners, the ospreys sure have a strong position here?, Simi notes.
        ?However, this is the second spring in a row and the white-tailed eagles have built the nest a lot more this time around. It could well turn into a real turf war. Hopefully either one of the couples will get their nesting started?, Simi hopes.
        Around 5,000 people have come to the online site to see the nesting of the white-tailed eagles since winter.

The nesting of the white-tailed sea-eagles can be observed on a webcam on the address given below.

• Posted: 09 April 2009 11:51 AM #1

Noticed the eagle left the nest temporarily.

The nest is a joint project between some former owners of it, ospreys, and the eagle pair that is now squatting in it.

No human has had anything to do with building that nest!  Except that maybe its appears to be built on a mobile phone or transmission tower.

• Posted: 09 April 2009 02:04 PM #2

Just how long does it take to do a little fishing for dinner?  wink

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 09 April 2009 02:58 PM #3

Meanwhile, the sun begins to set and still no sign of our feathered friend!

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 09 April 2009 03:11 PM #4

This eagle is no different than the Terminator!  He’ll be BACK!

• Posted: 09 April 2009 03:15 PM #5

By the way, the term ‘S??ksikamera’ that you see on the site ... a S??ksi is the Finnish name for this particular eagle, and of course kamera is indeed camera.

I hereby nominate this eagle, whom we shall officially name ‘S??ksi’, as the Official Mascot of the Mac Observer Website.  She will soon give birth to TMO’s first grandchild eagle!

Posted: 09 April 2009 10:59 PM #6

Mike in Helsinki - 09 April 2009 06:15 PM

By the way, the term ‘S??ksikamera’ that you see on the site ... a S??ksi is the Finnish name for this particular eagle, and of course kamera is indeed camera.

I hereby nominate this eagle, whom we shall officially name ‘S??ksi’, as the Official Mascot of the Mac Observer Website.  She will soon give birth to TMO’s first grandchild eagle!

The eagle is k??l. I second the nomination!

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 12 April 2009 01:17 PM #7

2 on the nest right now, but I’ve only seen Ospreys, no eagles.

• Posted: 13 April 2009 05:11 PM #8

sleepytoo - 12 April 2009 04:17 PM

The eagle has been there every single day, including today (13.4).  But, my original post pointed to the possible return of ospreys during mid April to reclaim their nest.  So, the pitched battle may be on!  The eagles are the squatters.  Perhaps the UN will serve papers to the eagles.

Posted: 13 April 2009 05:28 PM #9

Mike in Helsinki - 13 April 2009 08:11 PM

The eagle has been there every single day, including today (13.4).  But, my original post pointed to the possible return of ospreys during mid April to reclaim their nest.  So, the pitched battle may be on!  The eagles are the squatters.  Perhaps the UN will serve papers to the eagles.

At the very least, our new President can stop by and apologize.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 13 April 2009 05:30 PM #10

Eric Landstrom - 13 April 2009 08:28 PM
    Mike in Helsinki - 13 April 2009 08:11 PM

At the very least, our new President can stop by and apologize.

Good one Eric! I owe you a cold one!