TMO Product Reviews: What Do You Want to See?

Posted: 15 April 2009 11:04 AM

We are always on the lookout for new applications and hardware to test so that you can make better buying decisions when it comes time to part with your hard earned cash. If there’s something you want us to check out, let us know. Just add your comment and we’ll work on adding your suggestion to our product review schedule.

Jeff

• Posted: 15 April 2009 11:19 AM #1

I’d like to see a performance test of Adobe CS4 on an iMac vs. a MacPro. Maybe top-end iMac vs. low-end MacPro. I feel like there is a widening gap between the two desktop platforms and I’m just curious if it’s true.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

Posted: 15 April 2009 12:07 PM #2

I’d like to see more attention paid to Open Source and no cost options options. If you’re reviewing MS Office compare it to OpenOffice. A comparison of Parallels, and/or VMWare virtualization products, include VirtualBox. Looking at graphics programs include InkScape, Gimp, and Pencil.  This is only the beginning. Nearly every commercial package has an Open Source alternative. They might not have all the top end functions of the commercial but for most people they are more than adequate. When I got my MacBook a few months back I decided to try to not purchase any software. So far I have not had to buy a single application. From a free version of Vue 7, to OpenOffice, to the above mentioned graphics packages to games I’ve always found what I wanted. Plus it’s all legal, no pirating here.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 15 April 2009 12:20 PM #3

I’d like to see comparisons of
    hard drives for small business, education and enterprise backups
    video cards for consumer, Prosumer, and Pro
    firewire adaptability options
    quality cameras for conferencing

• Posted: 15 April 2009 01:01 PM #4

I’d like to see an article evaluating how well Photoshop Elements, the full version of Photoshop, and/or an application like QuarkXpress runs on the new Macs with the Nvidia GeForce 9400M integrated graphics card.
    It would be interesting to know if the standard 2GB of RAM works OK or whether 4GB of RAM is required, too.

• Posted: 15 April 2009 02:26 PM #5

I would like to see a better organized archive of reviews.  I can rarely find the reviews I know I’ve seen here in the past because evidently you have to use the product name to find the review, and the main reason I’m looking for the review is to find the product’s name.

I would also like to see a wiki-like user review system that will let people write their own reviews and edit others.  Especially for iPhone/Touch games because there are far too many games for any single organization to review.  You want to make it editable to prevent distortions on both ends.  I’ve seen ranting condemnations of good games coming from people who either couldn’t grasp the concept or couldn’t get past the first level, and I’ve seen shameless false promotion of bad games by desperate developers.  So you need some way to crowdsource a good, honest review.  I don’t want a long list of forum postings, that’s a terrible way to find out if a game is for you or not.

Signature

Talk to you later
    PAL

Posted: 15 April 2009 02:40 PM #6

Graphic tablets

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 15 April 2009 02:58 PM #7

Color laser printers!
    I’ve been trying to find good reviews,
    But nothing out there is comprehensive,,,
    I really want the HP CP 2025dn, but I can’t find
    Anyone in Hawaii that carries it, and shipping
    To here is outrageous! Most places either won’t ship,
    Or want $200-400 to ship! I’d like to know if there are other
    Printers that print just as good in color as that one, or close to it, that
    May be carried by our local retailers,,,

Signature

Stare at a KOI for a while, that is innocence in motion, curiosity, and strength.

Posted: 15 April 2009 07:43 PM #8

I really can’t think of any hardware that I’m planning to purchase in the near future. So, any hardware review would be fine fore me.

grin <—- and I want the TMO smileys back! These are horrible!

• Posted: 15 April 2009 08:05 PM #9

I’d like to see an in-depth investigative reporting into WHY Apple added glass to the screens of its laptops and WHY it dropped the option to have matte-screens.

This is not quite a product review, but it is something I’ve been waiting to read about from the Mac press.

Who made the decisions?
    What actual surveys and factual basis for the decisions?
    How the decision to prioritize “green” over the health and safety of better “ergonomics”.
    Etc.

Not just allow Apple to make a “marketing” excuse or gloss-over.

Not just allow Apple to say that “people want glossy”.

Posted: 16 April 2009 07:18 PM #10

Thanks for all the ideas here folks, and please keep them coming.

There are some *gems* in this list already, and we’re definitely listening.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.