Apple PC Market Share?

Posted: 16 April 2009 12:01 PM

Apple PC market share drops from 7.5 to 7.4 %. 1st quarter 09’

I’m starting a new post because I think this is a topic worth discussion more in depth.

This is a repost of an earlier comment I made in another section of MO earlier. 

”............................ It?s time to ask a question, ?What really is computer market share??  Apple has dramatically changed the PC game. Personal Computer market share can no longer simply be calculated by counting PC?s sold.  A rapidly growing percentage of the population are now walking around with small powerful PC?s in their pockets. The Apple?s OSX operating system is now in iPods, iPhones and Macs.  In reality, Apple has made phones and Walkmans small powerful friendly computers, causing a major paradigm shift in the computer industry.

The fact is Microsoft finds itself in the same spiraling death cycle IBM found itself in 25 years ago, and is now simply milking a dying cow ( Windows).  If the market figured this out, and simply started counting iPods and iPhones as computers, AAPL would be over 300 right now. It?s killing Microsoft.

Apple is taking big profitable chunks out of every market they enter, by giving the public small portable user friendly PC?s. Apple presently has such a small market share of PC?s and phones, it has huge growth potential over the next 5 years.  I think PC market share is an out dated score keeping system.”

If Apple brings out a new notebook sized iPhone, with all the same capabilities of the iPhone plus a larger screen, larger screen keyboard, and has “Numbers” and “Pages” built in: will it be called a Super iPhone or a PC?  It really makes no difference!

My personal belief is that Apple has made iPods, iPhone, and PC’s, (both portable and desk top),  so integrated now with all using some version of the OSX operating system; maybe it’s time to start counting all new computer devices using OSX as the number of computers sold. The fact is all of these devices have now become Apple computers.

I wonder how Apple would rate next to MS and the PC makers if we did that?

[ Edited: 16 April 2009 12:09 PM by ldrhawke ]

Signature

ldrhawke

Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups or of Hedge Funds that Naked Short Sell aapl

• Posted: 16 April 2009 12:32 PM #1

ldrhawke - 16 April 2009 03:01 PM

Apple PC market share drops from 7.5 to 7.4 %. 1st quarter 09’

I agree with your point completely. I just wanted to comment that your headline may not be accurate:

IDC: Mac Gains U.S. Market Share in March Quarter

IDC shows a gain from 7.4% to 7.6%.

Posted: 16 April 2009 01:30 PM #2

A couple of thoughts.

Market share would decrease given the economy. 

Market share was increasing as the HALO affect from iPods was being felt.

Apple goes through this every two or three years.  They sell less computers since their last batch was so good that the upgrade market is not as strong.  After Leopard there were a lot of happy campers. 

WE can see an uptick when the economy recovers, they come out with a killer and improved OS,  and Windows 7 flops.

What is encouraging is that their numbers as stable and sales are not dropping by 20% and they continue to make healthy profits.  Thus the stock has long term potential.