Another Forbes hit piece on Apple.

• Posted: 26 April 2009 01:46 AM

Is it my imagination or is Forbes obsessed with disparaging Apple?  I used to think it was just Steve Lyons.  But after reviewing the evidence, it is more widespread. 

Here is the latest.

I recall the Apple TV hit piece 18 months ago.  No, it was not a blockbuster product introduction.  But Forbes went bonkers with dripping sarcasm as it celebrated its cool reception.  They gloated when NBC withdrew from iTunes.  And they treated the SJ health question as if it were a matter of national security.  Of course, we all know how Lyons ripped Jobs and Apple at every opportunity.

Did our Steve spit in their Steve’s soup, or what?

• Posted: 26 April 2009 04:06 AM #1

capablanca - 26 April 2009 04:46 AM

Is it my imagination or is Forbes obsessed with disparaging Apple?  I used to think it was just Steve Lyons.  But after reviewing the evidence, it is more widespread. 

Did our Steve spit in their Steve’s soup, or what?

Nope, but Fred Anderson is now working there. This article went up after that article to explain some of the machinations behind the story.

I especially was interested in the following paragraph:

Here’s the question: How did Forbes know precisely which document to ask for? It always helps to have well-connected sources. And it’s hard to imagine who would be better placed to know the details of the case than Anderson.

Full Article can be found Here.

Signature

• Posted: 26 April 2009 05:40 AM #2

And, since it now been published, you can read SJ’s deposition for yourself here.

(don’t fear the 118 page length, it’s double spaced typing with broad margins and a lot of dross.)

• Posted: 26 April 2009 03:19 PM #3

Copy about Apple sells. Just ask the New York Times. I’d ignore it. Success brings all kinds of responses, not all of them positive.

Posted: 26 April 2009 03:54 PM #4

I always like to read these articles like I’m a fan for a sporting event.  There’s always a home and away team and the fans always support their team through good or bad.  You just need to figure out which side they are on.  After a few reads from the same publication it is usually obvious which side they support.  It is the rare author who doesn’t drag in their personal bias.

• Posted: 26 April 2009 04:18 PM #5

I posted this story in the news thread the other day pointing out that Forbes is partially owned by the same corporate investor who owns the huge stake in the Palm Pre.

Is Forbes magazine anti-Apple?
      Thu, 04/23/2009 - 09:29 ? Cleve Nettles

That?s the theory posted over at Valleywag on the heels of the Forbes cover story on Jobs? options backdating deposition.  It looks like Forbes might have had some help finding the three hour deposition from someone formerly inside Apple.  To break it down:

- Forbes is partially owned by Elevation Partners as of 2006

- Yes, the same Elevation Partners that invested heavily in the Palm Pre

- Elevation Partners includes Fred Anderson (former Apple CFO and Board member - who left Apple amid backdating scandal) who isn?t the biggest SJobs fan.  Little known fact: He was the CEO that Jobs replaced because he replaced Gil Amelio temporarily while the Apple Board talked Jobs into coming back.

- Obviously Jon Rubenstein, former Apple exec is part of Elevation partners and now chairman of Palm.

- Daniel ?Fake Steve? Lyons wrote his often critical Apple views while at Forbes.  He now works at Newsweek.

The question is: Can Forbes ?rescue itself? from being critical of Apple in light of the fact that it is actually under the same umbrella organization as Palm? There is absolutely no hard evidence to suggest that Forbes is biased and they have written many pro-Aple articles in the past.  Perhaps they should mention in their Palm and Apple stories that they are under the same umbrella organization as Apple competitor, Palm.